What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Installing Mandrake 10

Installing Mandrake 10
Author: Message:
kao
Veteran Member

boring

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. Huh?  Installing Mandrake 10
I have a second box set up right next to me, its an Intel 200MHz MMX, with 64mb Ram, yes, its bad, but i want linux on it to try out, learn, etc.

Heres what i've done from the start...

I set the box up, it already had Windows ME on it, on a 4gb HDD, it was my mums old comp.
I got it set up and running, i got it on the LAN through the router, transfered all things my mum wanted onto my comp.

Then, i used the Windows ME Boot disk to get to DOS then i did 'format c:'

I left it to format, once it was done i then had to make a Mandrake boot disk (i think i should have used it from the start, instead of Win ME boot disk :s)

So i then have to search through ALOT of corrupt floppy disks to find one which worked, then i made the mandrake boot disk with the dosutil on CD1 of mandrake, i put CD1 into cd drive of the comp, then put the new boot disk in the A drive (duh), then rebooted it, the floppy THEN decides its corrupt now so, i search for another floppy some more and decide on using the Win ME Boot disk as i thought "will never use this again so why not" so i format the disk, and try turning it to the mandrake boot disk, and then, its corrupt!

Anyway, i found another one WHICH WORKS, turned it to mandrake boot disk, put it in with cd1 etc, rebooted, and the setup starts, i press enter on the first page and wait for it, it loads, says something about Passing a test, then t says something about "Trying to access Mandrake Linux CDROM disc" so i wait, and then it errors out with loads of numbers on the screen, Im looking at it now and heres the parts which look like they could be the cause.

"kernal BUG at drivers/ide/ide-iops.c:1005!
invalid operand: 0000 [#1]
CPU: 0
EIP: 0060:[<c01af0d3>]      Not tainted VLI
EFLAGS: 00010082"

Then theres loads of numbers and the last couple of lines are

"<0>Kernal panic: Fatal exception in interrupt
In interrupt handler - not syncing"

Now im completely lost, no idea what to try, this is first time trying linux, and its not going good :(

Anyone with any ideas? :undecided:
06-06-2004 11:51 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
RE: Installing Mandrake 10
quote:
Originally posted by Kao
I have a second box set up right next to me, its an Intel 200MHz MMX, with 64mb Ram, yes, its bad, but i want linux on it to try out, learn, etc.

Heres what i've done from the start...

I set the box up, it already had Windows ME on it, on a 4gb HDD, it was my mums old comp.
I got it set up and running, i got it on the LAN through the router, transfered all things my mum wanted onto my comp.

Then, i used the Windows ME Boot disk to get to DOS then i did 'format c:'

I left it to format, once it was done i then had to make a Mandrake boot disk (i think i should have used it from the start, instead of Win ME boot disk :s)

So i then have to search through ALOT of corrupt floppy disks to find one which worked, then i made the mandrake boot disk with the dosutil on CD1 of mandrake, i put CD1 into cd drive of the comp, then put the new boot disk in the A drive (duh), then rebooted it, the floppy THEN decides its corrupt now so, i search for another floppy some more and decide on using the Win ME Boot disk as i thought "will never use this again so why not" so i format the disk, and try turning it to the mandrake boot disk, and then, its corrupt!

Anyway, i found another one WHICH WORKS, turned it to mandrake boot disk, put it in with cd1 etc, rebooted, and the setup starts, i press enter on the first page and wait for it, it loads, says something about Passing a test, then t says something about "Trying to access Mandrake Linux CDROM disc" so i wait, and then it errors out with loads of numbers on the screen, Im looking at it now and heres the parts which look like they could be the cause.

Then theres loads of numbers and the last couple of lines are

"<0>Kernal panic: Fatal exception in interrupt
In interrupt handler - not syncing"

Now im completely lost, no idea what to try, this is first time trying linux, and its not going good :(

Anyone with any ideas? :undecided:

Have you tried installing Mandrake 10 in Text Mode? for a graphical install  you need atleast a faster Cpu than you have now. but if you want more advice on installing Mandrake10  use Newsgroups an search for the alt.os.linux.mandrake Newsgroup, they will help you out there,  if you look at www.mandrakelinux.com/en iyou might find some info but go into Newsgroups.
06-07-2004 12:04 AM
kao
Veteran Member

boring

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Installing Mandrake 10
Ok i just opened up the comp, added an extra 64mb ram (:chrongue:)so its 128 now, and i checked the CD Drive, it was set as slave, so i changed it to master, and fiddled with the wires, and tried again, now it gives "no CDROM device found."

So i know its a CD drive error at least, i have a spare cdrom next to me, will be going into the box in a minute :)
06-07-2004 12:18 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
RE: RE: Installing Mandrake 10
quote:
Originally posted by Kao
Ok i just opened up the comp, added an extra 64mb ram (:chrongue:)so its 128 now, and i checked the CD Drive, it was set as slave, so i changed it to master, and fiddled with the wires, and tried again, now it gives "no CDROM device found."

So i know its a CD drive error at least, i have a spare cdrom next to me, will be going into the box in a minute :)

what CD-Rom was it? make sure its not an LG drive,   i have still heard people having problems with those in Mandrake, 
06-07-2004 02:03 AM
user2319
Disabled Account

RE: Installing Mandrake 10
I have never tried Mandrake, but if everything's okay, you should just burn the (3?) CDs and put in CD1. Make sure that in the BIOS it will first check to boot from CD. Then you should get an installer. Your CPU is very slow, so OR mandrake will be very slow, OR you will have to run it in text mode (no graphics).

quote:

Looks like there's something wrong with an IDE device, so that might be the CD-drive. Have you changed both the wires and the jumper settings to master? I don't know exactly what kernel panic means, but it's not good! I think in Linux it means that there is a hardware failure :-/

Also, format c: wasn't the best thing to do.  The best thing would've been to put in the Mandrake CD when in Windows, because it then gives you a nice menu with choices or something (don't exactly know), or to erase the hdd so that there are no partitions left on it. Then Mandrake will install in the empty space. It should still work this way/with format c:, though :)

Installing a Linux distro like Mandrake is a bit like installing Windows

• Make sure you have a CD to install the OS
  • In your motherboard's BIOS, make sure that it first checks for booting from CD.
  • You will get an installer when booting
  • Follow the instructions
  • Installation is done; system will be booted
  • you probably still have to configure some things (graphical effects: low or high, etc.)
  • done
06-22-2004 08:38 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: