What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Calling all linux users

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
Calling all linux users
Author: Message:
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
RE: RE: Calling all linux users
quote:
Originally posted by blade
quote:
Originally posted by fluffy_lobster
Making more programs for an OS doesn't make the OS less stable unless you install them all or something...

However, making an OS so that it can support a greater variety of things does make it unstable, because not only do you complicate things by having different bits coded to add support for this or that, but you have to ensure that they all agree with each other.  This is the problem with Windows, to be honest... because it is trying to gain the monopoly as an operating system, it tries as much as possible to support past, present and future programs and processes, sacrificing stability. My long-term prediction is that as OSes get more advanced, the rate of development will slow down.  Eventually, only a minority will use an OS older than the latest one because of its longevity... the OS developers will then be able to phase out cross-compatibility for further speed and stability.  It could be ages before this happens though

Exactly.....imho I think that we should start over....it could takes many years but it would be worth it...re-code almost all of the older programs into current compatibility and change the way the OS works, causing a far greater stability and a higher security level, though this will likely never happen...

the fact is Windows will never be Stable.  how often is there a patch released for internet explorer or any other windows related program,  Linux is more stable than windows, if windows were to be more stable an "secure" than linux would is stave Ballmer an Bill gates worried about Linux,  by the time Gnome2.8 comes out it'll already have a storage system in it like WinFS. i use Fedora Cure 2 aka redhat, i been using linux since 2000,
06-11-2004 03:47 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
stonesour

35 / Male / –
RE: Calling all linux users
You could never combine linux and windows. It would be so unstable it would crash before even booting. Of course it would be some shady error in kernel32.dll

And it would be Microsoft's fault.

Although i think someone should yoink microsoft's exe patent so linux can use that format...
06-11-2004 04:42 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
s7a5
Veteran Member

used Redhat 8 and 9, knopix, mandrake, suse and some others
planing to install Mandrake 10 on another box
06-11-2004 04:50 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
I don't want to take part into that disucssion, I'm sure all of you already know what I would say but

quote:
As more programs are made to work on linux i think it will become more unstable and unsecure
can it really go lower than what it is today? :refuck:
[Image: signature2.gif]
06-11-2004 05:07 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by stonesour
You could never combine linux and windows. It would be so unstable it would crash before even booting. Of course it would be some shady error in kernel32.dll

And it would be Microsoft's fault.

Although i think someone should yoink microsoft's exe patent so linux can use that format...
what do you mean with combining both OS's? You can't combine 2 OS's ever :-/. Otherwise it would be 1 OS:p.
You can use 2 OS'es at the same moment with Wine in Linux or Virtual Machine.
06-11-2004 06:51 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
Interesting debate going on here, so I feel I must chuck in my two cents worth.

Linux stability falling with more support: Won't happen. This is for one very simple reason: Linux is the kernel of the OS, not the entire OS. If the stability falls, it'll be in X or bash or Wine or something, but the kernel will remain just as stable. Of course, it'll appear as though Linux is less stable, which I guess is the whole issue. At least you can just fall back to a text console and solve the problem, rather than reboot like in Windows.
Combining Windows and Linux: I believe there is a Linux app they call Wine...
Linux using Windows .exe format: run Wine. It's getting better all the time.

Which is best? Depends what you want to use it for.
Speed and stability: Linux
Multimedia and app range: Windows

Of course if you can't decide, do what I do: use both. Dual-boot WinXP and Fedora Core 2 is what I run, and I have FreeBSD 4.8 on disc for an old laptop I want to get working.

Edit: Wow, that seems more like my £20-worth...

This post was edited on 06-11-2004 at 10:02 AM by RaceProUK.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
06-11-2004 10:02 AM
mad_onion

Windows Vista Rules!

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Calling all linux users
thanks for all the replies, this is the first time one of my threads has got onto two pages. So im happy!!!:D
I havent really changed my mind. I still think Windows is superior because of compatibility and it isnt even that unstable anymore. That was back in 98 days.
Either linux really is inferior or you linux users really suck at persuading.
PS WOW i got patchou to post on my thread, first time for that too. This is great!!!(Y)
Please carry on posting you still might change my mind
[Image: vistasig9ys.jpg]
06-12-2004 01:11 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
Linux isn't inferior: it's just different. That's what a lot of people forget. I use both, because I find a use for both.
06-12-2004 05:19 PM
saralk
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
IMO the only reason linux is more stable is because everyone can see the source code an find bugs, however, this can be really problematic as ud have to spend a full day at least searching for all the patches, and then some patches could intefere with others, and cause even more crashes.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
06-12-2004 05:34 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
Not quite. True, lInux is more stable as there are more people fixing the bugs, but you don't have to search for the patches. All changes to the code are handled by the project team. Code changes are only finalised when they have been fully tested (hence why they use CVS repositries). The latest stable code is usually a separate download. Anyway, most distros package some form of update utility (like RedHat's up2date), so all you have to worry about then is when the distro company release an updated package (you'll be notified).

Put simply, updating a mainstream Linux distro is like updating Windows: it can be (semi-)automated, and it all comes from a single source.

This post was edited on 06-12-2004 at 06:03 PM by RaceProUK.
06-12-2004 06:02 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: