What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » uk broadband

Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 » Last »
uk broadband
Author: Message:
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: uk broadband
quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
Belgium:
ADSL: 3,3 Mbps; 29€/month, you can download 10GB.
Telenet (cable): 4 Mbps; don't know the price and 20GB
this is not much help, as i live in the uk
06-30-2004 08:57 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
mad_onion

Windows Vista Rules!

35 / Male / –
RE: uk broadband
i have bt broadband
£27 per month
512 down
256 up
i havent hd any problems yet it seems to be very stable:D

PS: Saralk you do know that Windows Media Player can do exactly the same thing. It has a massive selection and can sort be genre as well a many other things
[Image: vistasig9ys.jpg]
06-30-2004 09:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
its a v. good deal... you do not have to connect, there is just a modem -
(it should be called a modem though because modems modulate then demodulate, but broadband is digital information, and therefore does not need demodulating.... do you get me??) - and its always on, so you never have to dial up agen :p, there is never really any downtime
you wrong, traxor...

in fact, as you said, modems modulate and demuluate a signal that means that they transform a signal into an other with a technique called modulation. Both ADSL and Dial-up modems are modems (:refuck:), I mean, they modulate and demodulate a signal. In both cases, the sent-received signal is an analogic one.

The difference between both signals is in their frequences. Dial-up signals are in the range 300-3300 Hz (the same used by the human voice in telephonic calls (that's why you can't use at the same time a dial-up internet connection and make a phone call)). ADSL signal frequences are bigger than 3300 Hz and that implies 2 things: You have the 300-3300 Hz band free, so you can make a phone call at the same time you're surfing the net and you have a wider range (from a bit more than 3300 Hz to .... (a high value, I can't remember)). With that wider range of frequences you can get higher speeds.

About what you said about you have to dial-up or not etc...: With a 56 Kbps modem you have to dial-up because your ISP has to distinguish when you want to make a standar phnoca call or connect to the Internet. So you dial a number and when that number "answers", it and the modem follow a protocol that can decide the connection speed, etc... and it distinguish it from a standar call.

With ADSL, there's no need of dialing up, because there's no other (not exactly true) thing that can use the same band of frequences. However, even if you don't notice it, there's a protocol similar to the dial-up one that is done before you connect to the internet.

Simarizing: Both dial-up and ADSL transmit (send & receive) digital information. Both modulate before sending and demodulate after receiving that information. Both module that info into an analogic signal. The diference is in the way of modulating the information (the algorithm used to modulate and the range of frequences that has the modulated signal).
quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
ADSL: 3,3 Mbps; 29€/month, you can download 10GB.
how do they know the ammount of data downloaded? what would happen if you download more than 10 Gb? Are you sure they apply that limit?
Messenger Plus! en español:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
06-30-2004 10:24 PM
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Choli
how do they know the ammount of data downloaded? what would happen if you download more than 10 Gb? Are you sure they apply that limit?
they keep track of how long you are online and how much data is being transfered. If you download more than 10GB you are being put on smallband (64Kbps) till the end of the month. We can check how much is left at belgacom.be in our account (if you ADSL), if you use cable you can check it at telenet.be.

This post was edited on 06-30-2004 at 10:32 PM by Kryptonate.
06-30-2004 10:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Garndell

Welcome to Elvie's World!!!

40 / Male / –
750down/128up NTL £24.99
Dad has a 34Mbit line for his business which I occasionally hog for Online play (Far Cry or MMORPG's).

I am going to get a 2Mbit (minimum) line from someone for Warhammer Online & World of Warcraft Final, for obvious reasons.
[Image: c2-garndell.jpg]
06-30-2004 11:29 PM
vincerooney

Broadband question: I'm going to try and get AOL's 256kps deal for 19.99. Any thoughts on it?

PLUS

How does broadband work exactly? The computers in my room and to connect to the internet on 56k i use a phone line extension wire that runs down the stairs to the nearest phone line. how does broadband work? could it work in this situation?

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.
07-01-2004 07:47 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by vincerooney
How does broadband work exactly? The computers in my room and to connect to the internet on 56k i use a phone line extension wire that runs down the stairs to the nearest phone line. how does broadband work? could it work in this situation?
broad band is just the same. The only difference is that instead of your 56 kbps modem, you'll have an ADSL modem or router. With adsl you'll also have to install a small microfilter in each telephone. A microfilter is like a little wire extension that you have to place between the phone line and the phone itself. It's very easy, don't worry about that. If you have to install it yourself, they (AOL) will give you detailed instructions and if someone is going to your house to make the installation, s/he'll do all for you :)
Messenger Plus! en español:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
07-01-2004 10:51 PM
Garndell

Welcome to Elvie's World!!!

40 / Male / –
Of course Cable is a little different ;)  I get TV, Phone & Internet through one fibre-optic link.  No need for microfilters or "BT" or even "xDSL".

This post was edited on 07-01-2004 at 11:46 PM by Garndell.
[Image: c2-garndell.jpg]
07-01-2004 11:45 PM
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: uk broadband
i can't get cable. We live on a private road, with another house. And the other house said they would not give permission for the road to be dung up.

This post was edited on 07-01-2004 at 11:57 PM by toddy.
07-01-2004 11:56 PM
vincerooney

Ahh i understand but since broadband is always on wouldnt there need to be the phone extension lead going down the stairs 24/7? I dont think the family would like that and there would probably be a few neck injuries...

toddy ive seen some good internet deals from tiscali if thats any help.
07-02-2004 02:28 AM
Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: