What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Mozilla to charge money?

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Mozilla to charge money?
Author: Message:
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Mozilla to charge money?
I know that Mozilla is open source...but it still bothers me....>_>

I mean things can change...e.g. you get the program for $__.00 and you get the source code with it...

This post was edited on 07-04-2004 at 04:18 PM by .blade//.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
07-04-2004 04:17 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
bach_m
Veteran Member

4837 :P

37 / Male / –
RE: Mozilla to charge money?
quote:
Originally posted by blade

I mean things can change.

no.... have u read the Mozilla FOundation Licence?

the source code must be made avalable for each subsequent version of the software, so it will ALWAYS BE FREE
07-04-2004 05:29 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
I think they only say "preview" as a kind of marketing mentality...the fact that you are getting a preview suggests that you are getting a sneak peak into something subconsciously ,even though you're not...
As long as Mozilla is open Source it will have to be free...and with Mozilla's philosophy being almost the same as Linux's, I can't see them charging money

quote:
Originally posted by ~INVASION~
PFFFFFF W/E  i dont use firefox anyways

wats so good about it???
Please don't spam up this thread...If you don't care about any software yourself try to realise that everyone doesn't think what you think and other people do actually care...secondly its one of the fastest browsers around, highly skinable, the browser with the best animated gif support and totally customisable for n00bs as well as advanced users...I assume you use Internet Explorer, and I also assume you've never used Firefox, may I suggest that you do try it out for size at least...just so you can realise if you like it or not...

This post was edited on 07-04-2004 at 06:00 PM by Anubis.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
07-04-2004 05:57 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
dotNorma
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
I seriously dought that the Mozilla Foundation would charge for any of their products. :-/

For one they are huge supporters of the open source thing. And there are no commertial browsers (that I know of). Nobody is going to use a commertial browser when there are so many free ones. Preveiw just means its a release candidate. Besides , People already have seen the code and teqniques and it would be very simple to recreate the browser and people would use the recreation. Mozilla won't and pretty much can't charge.
07-04-2004 08:06 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
bach_m
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
there are paid browsers. well, a browser with an add in it that u must pay to remove. Opera.....
quote:
Originally posted by NoName
Nobody is going to use a commertial browser when there are so many free ones.
thats what i would think....
07-04-2004 08:10 PM
mad_onion

Windows Vista Rules!

35 / Male / –
pay for a browser!!!:o
i can't see any company being stupid enough to make people pay for an internet browser. no i dont think mozilla will make people pay for it.
ive never used it but i cant see that mozilla or any other browser could be that much better than Internet Explorer that it justifies payment. imean when it come down to it there are all pretty samey.
[Image: vistasig9ys.jpg]
07-04-2004 08:41 PM
bach_m
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
ahem....

tabbs, extensions, themes, opensource, find as you type, mycroft plugins sidebar.....

must i go on?
07-04-2004 09:19 PM
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

38 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by mad_onion
i can't see any company being stupid enough to make people pay for an internet browser.

Ahum... Opera? :rolleyes:
07-04-2004 09:23 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
I think they only say "preview" as a kind of marketing mentality............
No... Chris Boulton already gave the correct answer to that.... don't speculate any further and read the sentence again and take note that "FireFox" and "Mozilla" are two different things:
Firefox 0.9.1 is the award winning preview of Mozilla's next generation browser.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
Its a technology preview of the Mozilla Suite, a separate component from the suite.. Its also not a final release (beta/rc/etc) so its still called a preview.
=> putted in another way:
The Mozilla Suite is a package which consists of a mailprogram, a browser, etc... That browser inside the Mozilla Suite is Firefox. Thus Firefox is a preview of the look, the feel and the technology of the whole Mozilla package....

.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-05-2004 12:52 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
MonkeyHood

37 / Male / –
I agree with anubis.  Mozilla is much better.  I used to have an ME  operating system with IE 5.  OMG that was hell.  It crashed for no reason sometimes.  I'll just leave my computer for 30 minutes and when i get back I click on the browser and OH NO!  It's frozen.  From doing nothing!  When I tried Mozilla i was instantly hooked.  There was no popups, there was tabs so I could open up lots of "windows" and not hav a cluttered dock bar (whatever you call that thing usuallyon the bottom).  There extension like all-in-one-mouse-gestures.  Also the GUI is much nicer to look at while being easier to use too.  Not to mention that it is a lot more customizable and has neat features that IE doesn't.  IE (I'm going to quote my friend here) does what it's paid to do.  It's just not paid well.

This post was edited on 07-05-2004 at 04:10 AM by MonkeyHood.
07-05-2004 04:09 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: