What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » HP + SP2 = Nightmare!

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
HP + SP2 = Nightmare!
Author: Message:
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. Dodgy  HP + SP2 = Nightmare!
Alright, so i've been updating some friends computers and some school computers recently.  When going to Microsoft Windows Update, I am now prompted at the beginning to install "Windows XP Service Pack 2 Release Candidiate 2" (SP2) on these machines.  I've done yes, and it's proven to be a NIGHTMARE on Hewlitt-Packard (HP) Machines.

Below I list 2 Tests I ran after realizing the problem with HP and SP2.  It seems something in Service Pack 2 does NOT like the HP Computers.

[ Computer 1: HP Media Center Edition 2004 ]
Before Install: Running Service Pack 1 of XP.
After Install: Running NO Service Packs, Just Windows XP.

Description: Well, I went to Windows Update, Installed Service Pack 2, Restarted the machine as prompted and am presented with CONSTANT REBOOTS. (Cannot even get into Windows, after it has the loading screen it starts to reboot.)  After a LOT of work, I finally get it to stop rebooting and it presents me with a STOP Error.

Stop Error Given: STOP 0x00000079 OR MISMATCHED HAL = Basically, Windows did something that made the hardware compatability unstable.  [Source: Windows XP Inside Out: First Edition: MSPress]

After trying to get into Safe Mode (all of the options for safe mode), Debugging, VGA, etc., All the modes on the F8 Menu, nothing works.

Result: Had to Recover from the HP Recovery Program, Losing every application installed.  No XP Service Packs are on the system any longer and a successfully reset machine, basically.

[ Computer 2: Regular Desktop PC ]
See Results from Computer 1, only difference is that Computer 2 doesnt have Media Center Edition

OVERALL ANALYSIS:  I've come to the conclusion that Windows XP Service Pack 2 Release Candidiate 2, although it says supports Windows Media Center Edition, it does not.  It installed Updates to XPHome or Pro I believe (due to the new bootscreen I was presented with).

Also, I believe that since Computer 2 produced the same results, it is some sort of error between HPs hardware and Microsofts SP2 Software.  I CERTAINLY hope they fix this before they release SP2 to the general public.

[ People who SHOULD NOT Install Windows XPService Pack 2 Release Candidate 2 ]

-People on HP Media Center Machines (Although id say HP Overall!)
-Anyone running programs such as Style XP that change your log on and start up, will not be able to install SP2 while these programs are installed. (Contributed by: toddy)

This post was edited on 07-13-2004 at 09:36 PM by Dane.
07-13-2004 08:50 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
RE: HP + SP2 = Nightmare!
Why do all your posts have this report format? :P

Since when do unfinished updates appear in the regular Windows Update on fresh installs? :dodgy:

So because one HP and media center computer crashed and one non HP and non media center computer didn't crash, you therefore conclude that...

OMFG! Service Pack 2 does NOT like the HP Computers!!!

^o)

07-13-2004 09:15 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Dane
Non-Elite Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: HP + SP2 = Nightmare!
quote:
Originally posted by Guido
Why do all your posts have this report format? :P

Since when do unfinished updates appear in the regular Windows Update on fresh installs? :dodgy:

So because one HP and media center computer crashed and one non HP and non media center computer didn't crash, you therefore conclude that...

OMFG! Service Pack 2 does NOT like the HP Computers!!!

^o)
What your referring to as "Non-HP" and "Non-Media Center" is an HP PC without the Media Center Hardware/Software (a.k.a. A Desktop PC)

And The Updates appeared on Windows Update :P, so dont ask why or how they got there, but they are there.

:banana:
07-13-2004 09:18 PM
jren207

JR! - We <3 Fanta

34 / Male / –
Service pack 2 doesn't show up in Windows Update for me :S

This post was edited on 07-13-2004 at 09:31 PM by jren207.
07-13-2004 09:26 PM
Dane
Non-Elite Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: HP + SP2 = Nightmare!
Hmm...And your running SP1.  Thats very odd.

Well, when I took the Media Center PC into Windows Update, it showed Version 4 for like, 12 seconds and then went to V5.  Although thats not the point of this thread, the point is WinXPSP2 + HP = Nightmare/Restarts!
07-13-2004 09:28 PM
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by jren207
Service pack doesn't show up in Windows Update for me :S

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
Hmm...And your running SP1.  Thats very odd
its not odd, it is because its not actually out yet, this is a preview version

[edit]
some more info for you all. anyone running programs such as style xp that change your log on and start up, will not be able to install SP2 while these programs are installed.

This post was edited on 07-13-2004 at 09:37 PM by toddy.
07-13-2004 09:29 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
jren207

JR! - We <3 Fanta

34 / Male / –
Ah right, I don't feel left out then.
07-13-2004 09:33 PM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
RE: RE: HP + SP2 = Nightmare!
quote:
Originally posted by jren207
Ah right, I don't feel left out then.

you can get SP2 RC2 @ http://v5.windowsupdate.microosoft.com/  which is the "new an Improved GUI"  if you click on Windows Update in XP you should only get v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com  .Microsoft is Releasing an interim SP2 Build for the official Testers. which i think is the Final SP2
07-14-2004 12:35 AM
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
well on betanews they had a report saying that they thought that another version was coming out. so i would wait a while before you update. because you can't just install over SP2, you have to unistall earlier versions of SP2 to update to the latest version

This post was edited on 07-14-2004 at 12:40 AM by toddy.
07-14-2004 12:37 AM
surfichris
Former Admin

The Answer: Don't let a n00b update your operating system with beta and release candidate software.

It is recommended by Microsoft that you do NOT run SP2 on any production machines until it reaches RTM and Final.

quote:
Also, I believe that since Computer 2 produced the same results, it is some sort of error between HPs hardware and Microsofts SP2 Software.  I CERTAINLY hope they fix this before they release SP2 to the general public.

* surfichris rings a bell inside Dane's head.

Microsoft is still prompting developers and distributors such as HP to submit updated drivers for RC2.

quote:
-Anyone running programs such as Style XP that change your log on and start up, will not be able to install SP2 while these programs are installed. (Contributed by: toddy)
Get the updated uxtheme.dll patches?
07-14-2004 12:44 AM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: