What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Idea for (!IP)

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Idea for (!IP)
Author: Message:
siebe

37 / Male / –
O.P. Idea for (!IP)
Hello!

I've messed around a bit with the messenger plus! tags, and I noticed that when you are behind a router, it will only recognize your internal IP (for example 192.168.1.100).

Anyways, when someone is on MSN Mesenger 6.x  (or well actually it will send it to all clients but only MSN Messenger 6.x recognizes it) the server will send you your IP in the initial MSG comming from the server when you sign in. This way Messenger still has your external IP for whenever the client needs it.

I can imagine this IP is being stored somewhere, or that it is possible for Plus to "intercept" it. Maybe an idea for Plus to put this IP in the message for (!IP) as well (when the IP of course is different from the internal IP -- Otherwise you will see the same IP twice ;)).

The IP is send like this when signing in:

quote:
MSG Hotmail Hotmail 461
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/x-msmsgsprofile; charset=UTF-8
LoginTime: 1093189403
EmailEnabled: 1
MemberIdHigh: 393216
MemberIdLow: -1966666349
lang_preference: 1033
preferredEmail:
PostalCode:
Birthday:
Wallet:
Flags: 1027
sid: 507
kv: 5
MSPAuth: <removed>
ClientIP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
ClientPort: 7441

This post was edited on 08-22-2004 at 03:46 PM by siebe.
08-22-2004 03:44 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Idea for (!IP)
There are plugins that add other tags, like (!XIP), and that will show your external IP:

EDIT (March 2005): Since Messenger Plus! 3.20.100 these plugins have become obsolete because Messenger Plus! can now list both your internal and external IP's.
quote:
from the Messenger Plus! changelog
The (!IP) tag now does what is should have have done: it returns the one, real, internet IP of your computer. This is achieved by getting a special page on the msgplus.net network that returns the IP of the requester. The old behavior or (!IP) is now available through a new (!IPN) tag (IP Network) and can still be useful in corporate and lan-party environments.

EDIT (August 2004): Added all the plugins I could find that can do this... sorry Choli :p

This post was edited on 03-14-2005 at 02:05 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-22-2004 03:55 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
There are better ways of getting your external ip than intercepting if from messenger. You can go to pages like www.whatismyip.com and you'll see it. In fact that is exctly what some plugins do. As long as I know, there are at least 3 plugins that add the (!XIP) tag (or similar) and it shows your external Ip address. If you search external ip, you'll find them quickly.

On the other hand, Plus won't implement that because to do it, it'd have to make an external connection and Patchou doesn't like that. (me neither).

edit: c:mipdodgy::mipdodgy:kie...

This post was edited on 08-22-2004 at 03:58 PM by Choli.
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
08-22-2004 03:56 PM
siebe

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Idea for (!IP)
:/ What is it with "Protocol tampering" with this forum. It is not tampering with the protocol. It is simply intercepting a message. Editing headers in messages, OK, I can understand that, but this is hardly "tampering".

And could you please react a bit less flamy? I am merely giving an idea, or do you not appreciate users who think about some ideas and stuff? I dont know about you, but I always welcome ideas.

Now fine, there might be some "plugins" for it, but when I see "(!IP)" I would have though it could include my external IP, without having to install a plugin. And I am not suggesting you create an external connection, it simply uses a header the messenger server actually sends to you!

This post was edited on 08-22-2004 at 04:04 PM by siebe.
08-22-2004 04:01 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I didn't say that it is tempering with the protocol, I said "Plus! wont use the protocol or temper with it" ;)

Because, the protocol changes regulary, and for compatibily issues this isn't a reliable way. Furthermore, if the protocol is being used all sort of problems will be added. Plus! is not based upon the msn protocol and that is the way it is programmed. When Patchou starts using the protocol, then a whole new chapter of compatibily issues, bugs, etc.. etc.. is openend. That Plus! doesn't use/need the protocol to function is a strong point. It uses the API...

quote:
Originally posted by siebe
And could you please react a bit less flamy?
:undecided: If our posts came across like flaming then we do apologize... but we didn't flame you at all, not even in the smallest way...

This post was edited on 08-22-2004 at 04:12 PM by CookieRevised.
08-22-2004 04:08 PM
siebe

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Idea for (!IP)
Well obviously Messenger stores it somewhere in memory, doesnt it? That way you wont need the protocol.

Besides, all current versions of the protocol (MSNP8, 9, 10 and the still-in-production-11) are using this header. I dont think it will *ever* go away. There is no other way for Messenger to grab the external IP for you without this (except making outside connections which is pretty .. dumb).
08-22-2004 04:15 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Idea for (!IP)
quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer
Hey, will everyone stop whining about this?
Siebe is a fucking msn protocol pro, he's the best when it comes to the protocol, just like I am for the plugins community.
Siebe has a point here, and it's a smart point too!
If this cannot be done, let Patchou tell him
1) Did we whine about it? NO, we gave alternatives in an objective manner...
2) Did we ever say that he isn't a protocol-pro? NO
3) Did we ever say his point sucks, is stupid, whatever? NO
4) Did we ever say this can't be done? NO, I said this is not likely to be done in Plus! because of the reason I gave. And that has NOTHING to do with programming but everything with what Patchou has said before on this forum...

quote:
Stop acting like you guys know all about programming, because you don't!
1) We don't act like we know all about programming... I know some other guy who does act like he knows everything about programming though and act like he is the super god of programming because he can make some good and popular plugin, and that acting pisses me off... thank you... (yes, flame me (us) and I'll flame back)
2) Who says I don't know something about programming? Is it because I never published something in public??? Well, excuse me for not having the knowledge that you have, but I have more knowledge of programming then you think and I don't need to write public programs to proof how much/little I know...

quote:
now please stop this behaviour, especially you cookie, you feel like a pro, but you're not. you know a lot, but you're not a programmer and you're merely able to suggest stuff...
Stop your uber-leet-programming beheviour... I said this many times before: you are a good programmer, but that doesn't give you any right to act like the uber-leet-godness-programmer with a much to big ego. Keep your feet on the ground and don't let all the positive remarks (sucking up) because of StuffPlug go to your head, which obviously already has happend...

quote:
Siebe has a good point here, and I am definately going to work on it with StuffPlug-NG
Well, good for you, the plugin and the community. But was it nessecairly to flame us to just say that?

This post was edited on 08-22-2004 at 05:09 PM by CookieRevised.
08-22-2004 05:05 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Yes, it was, Siebe tried to make a suggestion and share his knowledge, and all you do is repeating how crappy it is, and how not patchou is ever going to do that.
1) He suggested to use the protocol, I only replied what Patchou himself has said in the past about using the protocol.... If there is another method, then Patchou and anybody else will be glad to hear it... but again, no reason to flame...
2) We gave existing alternatives....
3) We NEVER said that it was crap ffs....

quote:
You tend to do that with all MSNFanatic people, and I don't like that.
FYI, I'm the last person who is going to flame someone just because they are a member of a certain community. I don't tend to do that at all and never will!! If you think that about me (and others) then you have a very poor judgement of character/people. Furthermore, I never knew Siebe was a member from MSNFanatic...

quote:
I might not have given a shit in the past, but Siebe is a friend, and if you touch my friends, you touch me.
Nice, but for the last time, we never "touched" your friend... chill down...

This post was edited on 08-22-2004 at 05:29 PM by CookieRevised.
08-22-2004 05:25 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Wow... calm down everyone. For the IP thing, don't worry about it, I already panned to change it in version 3.10. I won't search the memory for it, I'll simply make an external request to msgplus.net to find out the real external IP as seen by people outside your computer. See? there was no reason to get angry :).
[Image: signature2.gif]
08-22-2004 06:11 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Mario Achkar
Scripting Contest Winner

Coding The Future...

34 / Male / –
Thank u patchou i thought they were going to kill each others at the end lol :P

This post was edited on 08-22-2004 at 06:39 PM by Mario Achkar.
[Image: mario%20achkar.png]
08-22-2004 06:36 PM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: