What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » display pictures

display pictures
Author: Message:
xxaznbabygalxx

O.P. display pictures
hey, i was using msn 2day, and i kept changing my display pics, and everytime i did this my mate who i was chatting to could take it, without me sending it to him.  he wont tell me how he does it, so i was wondering if someone could please tell me how.

thanxxxxxxx
09-15-2004 04:38 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
lhunath

.{ Lord Daisy }.

39 / Male / –
RE: display pictures
On mess.be you can find CE/DP Stealer. This takes the Custom Emoticons and Display Pictures of your contacts which are still in your computer's cache and lets you save them somewhere else.

Or use Stuffplug-NG's integrated Stealer.

This post was edited on 09-15-2004 at 04:43 PM by lhunath.
{ -[Image: lhunath.gif]- }
09-15-2004 04:42 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: display pictures
quote:
Originally posted by xxaznbabygalxx
I was using Messenger today, and I kept changing my display pics. And everytime I did this my mate, who I was chatting to, could take it without me sending it to him. He wont tell me how he did it, so I was wondering if someone could please tell me how.
In fact, you did send it to him...

Everybody sends his DPs and CEs to their contacts. Otherwise your contact couldn't see any DPs or CEs...

Your Messenger sends the DPs/CEs to your contact, and the Messenger of your contact stores it in the "Temporary Internet Files"-folder as normal PNG files, but with a .BIN extension. (they are named like so: "CA<6_characters>.BIN") if you use MSN or Windows Messenger. If you use Windows Live Messenger they are stored in %temp%\MessengerCache and can be PNGs or GIFs.

Since they are stored (aka cached) on your contacts' computer, the DP/CE doesn't need to be send all the time. After it has been send (and it isn't changed) the Messenger program of your contact just opens the DP/CE stored in that cache-folder on your contact's computer.

This also means, when you empty your "Temporary Internet Files"-folder or MessengerCache folder, that all the cached DPs/CEs are removed, and thus they need to be send again...

All this goes automatically without you noticing anything...

Now, since your DPs/CEs, which you've send, are stored on your contact's computer anyways. He also can "grab" them. This isn't stealing or anything, since they are already stored on his computer.

All he has to do is copy those files (thus with the .BIN extension if he is using MSN or Windows Messenger) to any other folder of his choice, rename them to *.PNG (or GIF if he is using Windows Live Messenger and the file is actually a gif file) and he's done; he has all the currently cached DPs/CEs which have been send to him.

Also see: "CookieRevised's reply to 'Where does MSN store it's stuff?'" and further posts in that thread for more details.

There are also programs that can do this for you, commonly known as "CE/DP Stealers". But what they actually do is opening the cached DPs/CEs and saving them to another place of your choice. So, in fact, they don't steal anything, they only copy the CEs/DPs already on your computer from one place to the other.

Such CE/DP Stealers can be found on mess.be for example, or on any other major Messenger-related site... But beware!!! some CE/DP stelears contain spyware/adware!!!

For a list of spyware free CE/DP Stealers, please see:
"CookieRevised's reply to 'Non-Spyware CE/DP stealer/exporter'"
Note: the above link is an old link, listing old programs

CE = custom emoticon
    DP = display picture

This post was edited on 06-05-2008 at 07:13 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-15-2004 04:45 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: