What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » "No new e-mail messages"

"No new e-mail messages"
Author: Message:
Kango

O.P. Happy  "No new e-mail messages"
Hi Patchou

I'm a little nervous because I've never posted anything in forums before, let alone register for anything...

I think this is a bug, but if it's not, I'm sorry.

When I first signed into MSN Messenger, at the top displayed a message "2 e-mail messages" or something close.

I clicked on it, Hotmail window popped up, and I checked exactly one of the e-mails I had received.

After signing out, I decided to play with your new "desktop contact list" feature.  After enabling one of my contacts, and disabling it, I noticed that the e-mail notification had changed to "No new e-mail messages."

I clicked on it to double check, and sure enough, I had 1 new message still in my inbox.

Now, maybe this isn't your program...  Maybe it's the messenger.

Sorry for the long explaination...  I just wanted to be precise as to exactly how I found the potential error.

... and now I hope you don't mind me taking this opportunity in thanking you for bringing such a great program.  My messaging experience has enhanced quite a bit!

- Kango
10-12-2004 03:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: "No new e-mail messages"
Are you using the Messenger Plus! POP3 Checker by any chance?
10-12-2004 03:36 PM
Johnny_Mac
Elite Member

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Matty
quote:
clicked on it, Hotmail window popped up, and I checked exactly one of the e-mails I had received.
Can you reoccur the error without Plus! installed? Or even with it installed just again?
10-12-2004 03:40 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Welcome to the forum and thank you for the comments. My guess is that this has nothign to do with Plus! (at least, it has nothign to do with the desktop contacts feature). If you enabled the POP3 feature, it may explain the problem, if not, it'S just Messenger that's playing dumb :)
[Image: signature2.gif]
10-12-2004 03:51 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
i dont know much about the way plus or messenger works but ive encountered something similar in the past. my error was say i got it showing on the top of messenger that i got say 80 emails i click it and i only had like 5 or 10, usually if i was to sign out of messenger and restart the program it fixed it.

however there is one other possibility. how did you close the first email? you see messenger only displays the amount of unread mail you have now if you viewed 1 email and then clicked delte whilst viewing the email it deletes the email your in but also shows the next message at which point you click mail or the inbox link and exit that way if that happened then your message is considered to have been read, to resolve this tick the box next to your email and then click on "mark mail as unread" and messenger will show up as having 1 new mail again.

alternatively if you exited the message you read by clicking mail or inbox then ticked the box and clicked delete your second message would of still been unread so it would then probably be the error i experienced with messenger not accurately reporting the mail correctly. i hope this helps.
10-12-2004 04:49 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
Once you view an email it is marked as read. The only way it will be unread is if you mark it that way. Are you using Outlook Express or a webbased email like hotmail. If it is webbased then what is the domain (@doman.com)

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny_Mac
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kango
clicked on it, Hotmail window popped up, and I checked exactly one of the e-mails I had received.

Well just because they are using Hotmail doesn't mean that they dont have the POP3 Checker enabled right? It could be explaining the reason why the emails are miscounted, if Plus! changes the number to add in the emails from the POP3 Account.

This post was edited on 10-12-2004 at 05:01 PM by matty.
10-12-2004 04:58 PM
Kango

O.P. RE: "No new e-mail messages"
Hi everyone

Thanks for the many replies!

Couple of things in more detail:
reply to Matty:
  I don't know what POP3 checker is, so I must not be using it.... :)

reply to stuartbennett:
  The one last email that was left in the inbox, I had never
  opened it.  More specifically, I didn't delete the previous e-mail,
  and when I re-opened my inbox, the new email was marked
  "unread."

reply to Patchou
  I didn't mean to point fingers at your program - Sorry and thanks
  for looking into it!

- Joey
10-12-2004 05:22 PM
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
i had sumat like this...but only wen im usin msn more than once with polygamy....i sign it i get the toast '3 new email messages' but the msn window shows 'no new emails'

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
10-12-2004 05:38 PM
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
weird im sorry dude i dont know what to suggest then.
10-12-2004 07:04 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: