What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » {request} floating contacts icons

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
{request} floating contacts icons
Author: Message:
suleiman

O.P. {request} floating contacts icons
Hello, I've just left the live chat support and unfortunately no one was able to help me there. I've basically got a skinned version of MSN 6 that i have set with floating contacts. I wanted to know if there was a way for me to use the same icons for my floating contacts as i have for my contacts within the skinned version of the Messenger window. Is there a way to have msgplus automatically update itself to use the icons with whatever skinned version of MSN you are using? If so that would be a reallly great feature to implement. Looking forward to your support, and keep up the good work, this is amazing software!
11-02-2004 10:54 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MoRiA

Web2Messenger Creator

37 / Male / –
RE: {request} floating contacts icons
* MoRiA wonders why a request is in the bug reports board...

Apparently I wasn't in IRC at the time, but can't you do the same res-hacking that is necessary for skinning to msgplus as well? Of course there are certain legal issues here... *cough*
11-02-2004 11:29 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
ok my friend. i have no doubt that patchou could design plus to do that if he wanted to. however i must point out to you that messenger skins in themselves are illegal addons to messenger, therefore it is unlikely that messenger plus are going to support skins in any way shape or form. i know cause when i asked for plus to include messenger skins as a feature they said no as they are illegal so i doubt they will add this feature for that very same reason. personally i like you idea and its something id like to see added but realistically i dont think its going to happen.
11-02-2004 11:30 AM
FrozernFire

GunZ rules!

32 / Male / –
messenger skins only change the images and look of MSN, not msg plus. and since messenger skins are illegal and msg plus is copyrighted, i don't think this will happen. and i don't think skin makers and patchou will go friendly and work together
"I want to fix that in my memory forever. Draco Malfoy, the amazing bouncing ferret."

Aragorn -"A PEA!! A PEA!! Under my saddle, look Legolas!!! A pea!! Surely only the true King could feel a tiny
pea under all that leather!!!"[/align]
11-02-2004 01:32 PM
suleiman

O.P. RE: {request} floating contacts icons
ok, well thanks for the input.

This post was edited on 11-02-2004 at 07:07 PM by suleiman.
11-02-2004 07:05 PM
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
hey suleiman. i didnt know that skins were illegal either until i suggested such a feature on this forum and had my ideas knocked back. thats why i made sure to let you know as soon as possible and in the nicest possible way. i hope you find a solution to your problem.
11-02-2004 07:45 PM
suleiman

hey stuartbennet, yeah i think that it's a bit rediculous that msn skins are deemed "illegal" as though using one is tantamount to theft or piracy. MSN is free software, and skinning it is a great way to enhance it's appeal. But in any case, i have reshacker and got the icons looking the way that i wanted in the end anyways. It looks much better on my desktop too :)
11-02-2004 09:54 PM
stuartbennett

43 / Male / Flag
oh ok thats cool. whats reshacker?
11-02-2004 10:00 PM
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by suleiman
hey stuartbennet, yeah i think that it's a bit rediculous that msn skins are deemed "illegal" as though using one is tantamount to theft or piracy. MSN is free software, and skinning it is a great way to enhance it's appeal. But in any case, i have reshacker and got the icons looking the way that i wanted in the end anyways. It looks much better on my desktop too :)
it is modifying the EXE, and it's written in the EULA that you are not allowed to modify it.
quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett
oh ok thats cool. whats reshacker?
resource hacker, it's the tool used to skin.
11-02-2004 10:10 PM
suleiman

reshacker is software that allows you to change resources in an exe or a dll file. Swap out icons, bitmaps, etc. The only precaution i'll give you if you're interested in using it, is to not mess around with exe files too much, as that can cause them not to function.

Millenium Edition, while i am aware skinning the app involves modifying the exe, when msgplus removes the banner advertisements in msn, it is also modifying that same exe. Additionally, I don't think Microsoft was interested in prohibiting "skinning" of the app when it banned modification of the exe file, i'm almost certain their intention was to prevent malicious forms of MSN from circulating that could damage the end-user's PC, or hinder the MSN servers that host the service. The bottom line here, is that the future is in customizability, and MSN users should be able to have that option open to them as well.
11-02-2004 10:22 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: