What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » spyware in tabbed msn?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
spyware in tabbed msn?
Author: Message:
uryan

O.P. Huh?  spyware in tabbed msn?
First of all, this is not an accusation, but a genuine question...

Whenever I run the latest version of tabbed msn (update 2.1, 8-1-2004) it opens up a port (usually 0 but i have seen it use 7000) and starts downloading from 108.252.18.0:4096. The weird thing is only netlimiter(www.netlimiter.com) seems to be able to detect or block this. Keiro Pesonal Firewall and  Outpost Pro do not even see the open port, blocking the i address does nothing, and the network status lights do not show any traffic.

The other thing is that I dont see any traffic going out of my computer from tabbed msn - not one byte.

It only happens in the latest version of tabbed msn, earlier versions i have are fine (but have other bugs).

Can anyone else confirm this? It seems very strange that netlimiter would be the only program able to detect the connection, but it can't be just imagining it. I imagine a hardware monitor would be more reliable in detecting any traffic, but do not have access to one.

Unfortunately netlimiter can't block the connection completely, only speed limit it, so I won't be using tabbed msn until I get this sorted out

Any halp would be appreciated, as long as it is not just unfounded accusations/defense of tabbed msn
11-03-2004 02:17 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
RE: spyware in tabbed msn?
I can't confirm/deny this, but I would like to state how unlikely a plug-in like this would have spyware in it.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
11-03-2004 02:20 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
FrozernFire

GunZ rules!

32 / Male / –
are you sure that it is really tabbed msn which does this? im using tabbed msn too and i never had any problems. i don't think any plugin makers here put spyware into their plugins >.<"

offtopic: blade, gearing up for Xmas? :bananaxmas:
"I want to fix that in my memory forever. Draco Malfoy, the amazing bouncing ferret."

Aragorn -"A PEA!! A PEA!! Under my saddle, look Legolas!!! A pea!! Surely only the true King could feel a tiny
pea under all that leather!!!"[/align]
11-03-2004 06:35 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by uryan
The weird thing is only netlimiter(www.netlimiter.com) seems to be able to detect or block this. Keiro Pesonal Firewall and  Outpost Pro do not even see the open port, blocking the i address does nothing, and the network status lights do not show any traffic.

The other thing is that I dont see any traffic going out of my computer from tabbed msn - not one byte.
Well, that probably means that there isn't any traffic. The IP address 108.252.18.0 is in a range reserved by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA), so I don't think it can be used on the internet. All attempts to connect to it fail.

I dunno why a program would try opening a connection to that IP... :-/
11-03-2004 07:03 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Black_Forky

When you run the installer it opens the browser to some game website.
[Image: LAME.jpg]
*Caution* You could be lame if you are not careful
11-03-2004 08:49 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
uryan

O.P. RE: spyware in tabbed msn?
Thanks for the replies...

quote:
Originally posted by blade
I can't confirm/deny this, but I would like to state how unlikely a plug-in like this would have spyware in it.
Actually, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see someone make a MsgPlus plugin with spyware in it. What would surprise me though is for an active member of this community (as i believe Wouter is) to do it.

quote:
Originally posted by FrozernFire
are you sure that it is really tabbed msn which does this?
Definitely Tabbed MSN. See the screenshots. The traffic appears when I start tabbed msn, and goes if I end task it

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

Well, that probably means that there isn't any traffic. The IP address 108.252.18.0 is in a range reserved by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA), so I don't think it can be used on the internet. All attempts to connect to it fail.

I dunno why a program would try opening a connection to that IP... :-/
Yup, thanks...I guess I should have already checked this beforehand. Well that puts my mind at ease, but I would still like to know what the traffic I am seeing is, and where it comes from. I'm begining to think that it may be a bug in netlimiter, but a strange one indeed. On the other hand it only happens with tabbed msn, and only with the latest version. I would be interested to hear from Wouter any changes he has made that could be causing this.

quote:
Originally posted by Black_Forky
When you run the installer it opens the browser to some game website
Yah, I'm not too worried about that. It's only a one off, and considering the software is free, I guess that's acceptable (not that I let the page finish loading

.gif File Attachment: nl1.gif (16.61 KB)
This file has been downloaded 218 time(s).
11-03-2004 11:32 AM
uryan

and the other screenshot... (is there a way to put both in one msg?)

.gif File Attachment: nl2.gif (15.21 KB)
This file has been downloaded 210 time(s).
11-03-2004 11:33 AM
Wouter

38 / Male / –
euhm how about use the search button next time youll post crap like this :S

the programm does not contain spyware or whatever stupid things you cum up next.

delete topic please
[Image: 1497.jpg]      [Image: qbase.jpg]
11-03-2004 08:10 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
uryan

euhm what exactly was the search button meant to tell me?
Don't give me that kind of crap. it was a serious question, and not at all unreasonable.

If a program that's designed to monitor connections and network traffic shows that there's a connection and network traffic, then one would assume that...um...theres a connection and some traffic! Something is happening, even if it isn't malicious or intentional.

The fact is that it only happens in the newest version (or perhaps in a few versions i've missed) and therefore there must be something you have changed wittingly or otherwise. The other versions do listen according to netlimiter but never actually connect to anything.

I was hoping that maybe you could fill me in one something that might have changed to cause this, but you apparently seem incapable of holding a discussion. Can I say it doesn't surprise me you got banned from IRC. Prove me wrong if you wish.

If anyone else has any insites or information that would be helpful, I would still be most appreciative. May I remind everyone of my first post
quote:
Originally posted by uryan
First of all, this is not an accusation, but a genuine question...
Any help would be appreciated, as long as it is not just unfounded accusations/defense of tabbed msn
11-03-2004 10:48 PM
Alpha Binary

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Wouter
euhm how about use the search button next time youll post crap like this :S

the programm does not contain spyware or whatever stupid things you cum up next.

delete topic please

your behavior is disgusting. i would expect more from a man of your education who can program.

uryan: nevertheless after encountering the exactly same problem using his openConvo, and intense network activity monitoring, i came to a conclusion that it is only a bug in Netlimiter and should not be worried about. after trying for two days i uninstalled both of them anyway.

i'd recommend stuffplug-ng which also has the same feature. hope my reply has helped you.
11-04-2004 12:21 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: