What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Sponsor Program

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Sponsor Program
Author: Message:
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. Sponsor Program
I know patchou said he wont change the sponser window anymore, but i had a small idea while i was surfing the forums that might make the window a little easier to understand.
[Image: attachment.php?pid=333419]
just change the radio buttons with a simple checkbox

.bmp File Attachment: sponser.bmp (430.58 KB)
This file has been downloaded 446 time(s).

This post was edited on 11-06-2004 at 03:42 PM by ShawnZ.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
11-06-2004 03:41 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Sponsor Program
Patchou has already said he wont change anything else. Also I don't see why that will make things clear...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-06-2004 03:46 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
MoRiA

Web2Messenger Creator

37 / Male / –
WHY THE BITMAP??
WHY THE BITMAP?? :'(

*cough* Anyway...
We had a checkbox AGES ago, like for version 2.x or whatever, and it was exchanged for the radio buttons for some reason.

Personally I don't see what was wrong with the way it was before; if people are too ignorant to actually read the installer then it's their own fault. Many programs install worse "sponsors" and don't give you a choice (KaZaA springs to mind, as does RealOne Player).
11-06-2004 03:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
A checkbox is worse for many users as they would see only one option to check; and thats why it was changed so quickly last year :).
[Image: signature2.gif]
11-06-2004 10:55 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
A checkbox is worse for many users as they would see only one option to check; and thats why it was changed so quickly last year :).
Also, with the radio buttons, one HAS to be clicked to continue. It's not possible to make it any plainer without some sort of telepathy.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
11-06-2004 11:09 PM
k776

– / Male / –
Well, seeing as many are still missing the picture of the toolbar, Patchou, consider forgetting what you said and move the toolbar between the radio buttons and the "Install" button.

This way, they have doiuble the chancde of seeing it, one when they click the radio button, and one when they click the install button.

You might also consider a timer on the install button:
Install (5), Install (4), Install (3), Install (2), Install (1), Install
[Image: k776.jpg]
11-07-2004 12:17 AM
Moo

The default option should be "I refuse".
11-07-2004 01:12 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Tochjo
forum super mod

36 / Male / Flag
I think you're approaching this from the wrong side, k776 and Guillaume. We're not trying to avoid people installing the sponsor. It was put there for a reason - for Patchou to make money, and not just to avoid.

Patchou has already put a great deal of time and effort in making the window more clear, and the way it is now is very good. You will always have people installing the sponsor, and then they come here, where we will tell them how to uninstall it.
11-07-2004 09:34 AM
gnownoskcid

PENMASTER

36 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
I think you're approaching this from the wrong side, k776 and Guillaume. We're not trying to avoid people installing the sponsor. It was put there for a reason - for Patchou to make money, and not just to avoid.

Patchou has already put a great deal of time and effort in making the window more clear, and the way it is now is very good. You will always have people installing the sponsor, and then they come here, where we will tell them how to uninstall it.
it doesn't sound quite right. Since we know that VERY FEW people love having a computer overloaded with adware, we can assume that if people pay attention to the agreement, they would choose "I refuse". We do know that many people ignore the agreement and accept the sponsor. Then they come here and everywhere else to complain. However, we cannot make the sponsor any clearer because msgPlus rely on people who do not read the agreement. Thus, it really sounds immoral. Only if there is another way to satisfy both users and creator.

Tell me if you think my logic is wrong.
Cow juice...
11-07-2004 10:12 AM
user27089
Disabled Account

I can't really see how this will give any advantage to Plus! Users at all, if they read what the installer says then they won't click ok, but if they don't read it and click it, its their own faults, not Patchou's, its Patchou's choice, and He won't benefit at all. If anything, I'd say that people would still think that they'd have to press it.

quote:
Originally posted by gnownoskcid

it doesn't sound quite right. Since we know that VERY FEW people love having a computer overloaded with adware, we can assume that if people pay attention to the agreement, they would choose "I refuse". We do know that many people ignore the agreement and accept the sponsor. Then they come here and everywhere else to complain. However, we cannot make the sponsor any clearer because msgPlus rely on people who do not read the agreement. Thus, it really sounds immoral. Only if there is another way to satisfy both users and creator.

Tell me if you think my logic is wrong.

No-one loves having ad-ware on there computer at all, but its their fault for not being smart in the first place, this is optional, and yes, they should choose what they press themselves, and should read what it says. Its their fault they ignore any simple instructions. Patchou doesn't rely on the People that don't understand it, a group of people may accept that they install it so that plus! can carry on, and that they don't mind having adware on their pc's.

11-07-2004 11:57 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: