What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » HELP INSTALL LEXMARK!!

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
1 votes - 5 average   HELP INSTALL LEXMARK!!
Author: Message:
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: HELP INSTALL LEXMARK!!
The autoexec.nt file is used to allow MS-DOS based applications to run on Non-Dos Based Operating Systems. (NT4/2000/X{/2003 Server) As we all know these Operating Systems are NT based and not DOS based.

To fix this issue you need to expand a new file from the install directory.

If you are using an OEM based PC (HP, Compaq, Dell, IBM, Toshiba etc) then do this.
Click Start
Click Run
Type expand c:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

If it doesn't work try another location
c:\windows\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

If both of these fail then try using an install cd
Click Start
Click Run
Type expand %cdrom_drive%:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

Where %cdrom_drive% is the drive letter where the CD is inserted.

Matty
11-17-2004 04:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Matty
The autoexec.nt file is used to allow MS-DOS based applications to run on Non-Dos Based Operating Systems. (NT4/2000/X{/2003 Server) As we all know these Operating Systems are NT based and not DOS based.
Indeed, but IMO, this is the exact problem. I think TheFrank installed a 16-bit driver (AKA DOS driver) instead of the 32-bit Windows driver.

TheFrank, make absolutely sure you install the correct driver. You'll often find different drivers with the installation disc/cdrom, installing them all isn't needed and will even result in errors. Make sure you install the 32-bit driver, and if possible and included, even install the WinXP/NT driver instead.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-18-2004 10:41 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Indeed, but IMO, this is the exact problem. I think TheFrank installed a 16-bit driver (AKA DOS driver) instead of the 32-bit Windows driver.

TheFrank, make absolutely sure you install the correct driver. You'll often find different drivers with the installation disc/cdrom, installing them all isn't needed and will even result in errors. Make sure you install the 32-bit driver, and if possible and included, even install the WinXP/NT driver instead.
But you will get this error when you TRY to run the installer. Here Cook do this test. Download any version of AVG. Rename your autoexec.nt file to autoexec.nt_ or something and try to run the intaller. That message is the same thing TheFrank gets.
11-18-2004 04:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Download any version of AVG. Rename your autoexec.nt file to autoexec.nt_ or something and try to run the intaller. That message is the same thing TheFrank gets.
I once installed AVG, no problems at all. Also, I don't have an autoexec.nt, so nothing to rename.... :(

Isn't autoexec.nt only used when you run a pure 16-bit program? In other words, the driver which has been installed (or tried to install) is 16-bit, which is the wrong version. So in fact, you could solve the error, but this will not solve the problem. He need to install a 32-bit driver, not the DOS driver...

see also http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

This post was edited on 11-18-2004 at 11:29 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-18-2004 11:23 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: