What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » remove advertisment bar in MSN 7

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
remove advertisment bar in MSN 7
Author: Message:
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. remove advertisment bar in MSN 7
i think patchou should put the hide advertisment bar option back in, the little thing gets very annoying

if not, is there anywhere i could find a pluging the dose that?
[Image: sig/]
I'll never forget what she said 6642 days, 5 hours, 55 minutes, 56 seconds ago
Need hosting? Check
out my website. we can help you out :)
12-02-2004 03:26 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Dansha

34 / Male / –
RE: remove advertisment bar in MSN 7
Patchou has valid reasons for not supporting ad banner removal in MSN Messenger 7, however, I can see how it's hard for some people to understand why. I don't think he will be adding it back, however...

There are other patches that do remove ads in MSN Messenger 7. One place that those patches are available is Mess.be. Go to the Messenger 7 section, you will find a list of patches.

Good luck!
[Image: Dansha.png]
12-02-2004 08:16 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
No, Patchou wont put it back in.

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
Patchou adds an optional sponsor to earn money. It's optional, but if nobody installs it, Patchou doesn't earn money, so Patchou wants that people installs the sponsor (maybe not all his users, but some percentage). In this scenario, isn't it strange that Patchou removes the banner, that gives MS money? I understand Patchou and his decission. The same as Patchou, behind Messenger there are lots of programmers that have to earn money. MS gets that money from the ads in messenger. So it's illogical that Patchou will remove the banner, imo.
quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
Since patchou has his own (optional) sponsor program, he knows that the money they make by showing these ads is important to them.
quote:
Originally posted by Demandred
So why didn't Patchou removed it in previous releases then?
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I removed it only now because the technical change in Messenger 7 forced me to reconsider the feature.

Please, try to understand, I know some of you really don't like this but it is final (and its not like mess.be didn't offer alternatives).

(...)

I assure you that Microsoft never asked me to remove this option from Messenger. But again, they want Messenger 7 to start generating some real revenue for them and I'm not going to cause them troubles. There will always be other addons/patches to do that anyway so you'll always have an option, one way or the other.

You can find patches on http://www.mess.be/ to remove the banner.
Note that patching the executable of MSN/Windows Messenger is illegal.

This post was edited on 12-02-2004 at 08:33 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-02-2004 08:29 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ogman

Well, since this was the main reason I used Messenger Plus, thanks for having a nice program for a while. Goodbye.
12-03-2004 09:17 PM
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ogman
Well, since this was the main reason I used Messenger Plus, thanks for having a nice program for a while. Goodbye.

pfff then your pretty dumb if your used Plus! for this reason. You downloaded a 3+MB program when you could have downloaded a 100KB patch and remove it. Dumbass (sorry for the flame)

Patchou wont put this back because like when he put his sponser program he did it to eat so he noticed that MSN has got to eat to with its ads. You can remove this with patches from Mess.be He removed it because he wont like someone/thing to remove his sponser either.
12-03-2004 09:33 PM
zaidgs

– / Male / –
i think i read before that applying patches can break plus! compatability sometimes, especially the polygamy patches.
will applying hide ad-banner patches cause any trouble for
plus ?!?!

personally, i wish thats plus could be all-in-one program,
and not using several programs beside plus to get stuff the way i like. i wish this could hold true, i thought that after signing-in with any status was added to msn7, i will not need anything other than plus (as that was the only missing thing for me) ....

anyways, just sm1 tell me, does patching messenger conflict with plus...

This post was edited on 12-03-2004 at 11:47 PM by zaidgs.
12-03-2004 11:30 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
leito

Chameleon by KeyStorm

37 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by zaidgs
anyways, just sm1 tell me, does patching messenger conflict with plus...

Not the ones in Mess.be

This post was edited on 12-04-2004 at 12:03 AM by Fraisie.
[Image: leonelgalan.png]
12-03-2004 11:58 PM
Dash Rendar

Hi Everyone,

Whilst I most certainly respect Patchou's decision in principle, the argument about taking revenue away from M$ is pretty lame...

Lets remember that we are talking about one of the worst things that ever hapened to the IT industry here... They have essentially been butt F*%&ing the entire world ever since M$DOS became the defacto standard.

If you wanted to purchase M$Windows XP Pro & Office 2003 Pro, the cost is higher than an entire new computer!!

M$ can handle the loss of the few pennies the ads give them.. the programmers (although I believe most of them don't deserve the title) certainly aren't going to go hungry.. M$ employees are some of the best paid in the world!

Like I said, If patchou wants to take the ad banner removal out of Plus on a matter of principle, then that is his right, but those that think it's because M$ will lose revenue are living in Cloud Cuck-Coo Land!

Patchou: Keep it up! I Love Messenger Plus, it makes using Messenger almost bearable ;)

Dash
12-07-2004 09:31 AM
Dansha

34 / Male / –
That's very much beside the point. MSN Messenger is thanks to Microsoft, and I think Patchou has some respect for the product that he has based his software on.

Weather they are rich or poor isn't really an issue here. It's about principle. Maybe think of it from their point of view. If you created a Messenger program, but millions of people were able to bypass the ads which was a source of revenue for you, would you be slightly frustrated?

As for the fact that you don't think they'll lose money, well, do you know how much they get from it? Have you seen their figures? Do you know how they distribute their money around the company? Hmmm. They've put ads their for a reason.

Other patches remove them, Patchou doesn't want to be the one who is taking away a source of their income. It's not that difficult to understand. So just happily march along and use an alternative patch if the ads bother you (I can stand MSN Messenger ads, it's the AIM ads with stupid mouse over popups that are a pain).

Would you do the same in Patchou's position? I know I would.
[Image: Dansha.png]
12-07-2004 09:52 AM
MessEnGer

mess the world

40 / Male / –
I support patchou with the removal of the advertisment bar option...

it something that should've been realised before and its quite amazing that nobody got even the faintest idea that msg plus was on the similar life support and advertisements were very important

great job patchou i think you made the right choice :)
12-07-2004 11:21 AM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: