What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General »

Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 » Last »
Author: Message:
user13774
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by mattm591
However it amuses me how they contradict themselves first saying, "In either case this software is not to be trusted" and then saying "we recommend ignoring it".

Yes, I was wondering the same :D.
01-06-2005 07:40 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
tgnb

People download anti-spyware software generally because they are infected, or because they got infected in the past, and to protect them from being infected again.
From my firsthand experience most people dont read. They don't read what the boxes say that suddenly pop up. They dont read the EULAs. They dont read the options during installation of software.
They might not read it because they are lazy, or maybe because over time they have become comfortable enough with software to a point where they wouldnt expect a vendor to trick them.
Spyware and Adware is exploiting this to their advantage. So people download anti-spyware software to avoid being taken advantage of.
Therefore I wouldnt be surprised that there are quite a few people out there who have NO IDEA that Messenger Plus! bundles adware. They simply click through. without reading or thinking about what the options they are clicking mean. For these people it is helpful to know that Messenger Plus! bundles adware, whether its installed or not. Therefore i think the Microsoft AntiSpyware software does precisely the right thing. Warn people that Messenger Plus is and adware bundler (not that adware is installed). It makes people aware about this who otherwise might not be aware. It leaves the default option to ignore because Messenger Plus itself isn't adware. But now these people have become informed and can make a better decision whether or not they want to continue to use Messenger Plus, or maybe install it without the bundled adware if they unknowingly accepted to install it.
01-06-2005 08:03 PM
riball

– / Male / –
It now suggests Messenger Plus is the adware, if u see the title...

I was kinda shocked (I know better than that) when I saw it was spyware, untill I readed the boxes...

This post was edited on 01-07-2005 at 11:25 AM by riball.
[Image: Riball2.jpg]

Messenger Plus! has taken over the world!
01-07-2005 11:21 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
tgnb

quote:
Originally posted by riball
It now suggests Messenger Plus is the adware, if u see the title...

It also detects WinPcap as spyware in that sense. WinPcap doesn't even bundle adware. Its 100% legitimate software. The reason it is classified as spyware is because its not a common tool an average user would have installed. It is a powerful tool that can "help" spyware do more damage. It is labled as an "enabler" when one looks at the detail, while Messenger Plus is labled as an "adware bundler".
In a sense it is unfortunate that they slap the label "spyware detected" on anything suspicious even if it isn't spyware. However for the average joe computer user who doesn't read what they click when they click it this probably protects them very well which in turn is a really good thing. Unfortunately although WinPcap doesnt even bundle adware they have no chance of removing themselves. Messenger Plus however has a choice. Patchou could call for the help of his huge userbase to help him find a revenue stream that doesnt require bundling adware and he'll be off the list probably as soon as he stops the bundling.
01-07-2005 12:57 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
tgnb: we already had this discussion before many times... if I could sell Messenger Plus! instead of using adware, I would do it, but I have to face the fact that peopel don't pay forthe software they use very much these days, especially not for plugins of another free (MSN Messenger) program.

What you're describing for WinPcap is exactly what I was talking aboutin the other thread. I have very concerned about what's going to happen this year and the next in thesoftware developement community. If a big company (Microsoft or any other one) distributes a software that "tags" software they don't like for X or Y reason, it's going to cause lots of damage. Nobody has the right to do that kind of thing, this is just a completely unfair practice made in the name of "let's protect our users". They could very well start warning about Real Video being installed on your computer with all the crap its auto-update installs on one's computer. I'm asking you: where's the limit and who's going to decide about it?
[Image: signature2.gif]
01-07-2005 03:40 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
XM4ST3RX

DJ Scoop!

37 / Male / –
Hi,ll

Microsoft AntiSpyware Program (originally owned by GIANT Company) is not that bad against Messenger Plus!

It's default action is 'Ignore', and in the warning message they recommend ignoring it.

Nothing really to worry about, however some users may delete Messenger Plus! under the influence that it may be bad spyware software...

Microsoft should detect whether or not the sponsor program has been installed, if not then it should not be detected as spyware.

Here is a screenshot of GIANT AntiSpyware concerning Messenger Plus!:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=357833]

.jpg File Attachment: GIANT AntiSpyware (MsgPlus).JPG (96.58 KB)
This file has been downloaded 679 time(s).

This post was edited on 01-07-2005 at 04:04 PM by XM4ST3RX.
01-07-2005 04:03 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
user13774
Disabled Account

LOL... Microsoft really completly ripped the interface and probably also all the options. I think they didn't even check the 'spy- and adware' definitions for entries they disagree with. Fraisie posted before that she was gonna contact M$ about it and I guess they will change it into something more logical, or even remove it (if you don't have the sponsor installed).

At least they should change this:

quote:
Originally posted by Markus
EDIT:

BTW.. this sentence does not make sense: Messenger Plus! installs an OPTIONAL adware called C2Media which is also known as LOP.com.

A installer installing an optional adware ^o)

It should be something like: The Messenger Plus! installer gives you an OPTION to install adware called C2Media bla bla. This is completly OPTIONAL. Be sure to choose not to install the sponsor if you don't want the C2Media adware.

This post was edited on 01-07-2005 at 04:39 PM by user13774.
01-07-2005 04:36 PM
dreaded

O.P.
I dont know why ms is doing this. But what I do know is that spybot, adaware, and pestpatrol does not label messenger plus as adware. I dont remember any other program I tried to doing either. If I remember correctly spy sweeper and spyware doctor didnt label msg plus as adaware either. Has anyone ever contacted them and asked them why?
01-07-2005 04:47 PM
tgnb

quote:
tgnb: we already had this discussion before many times... if I could sell Messenger Plus! instead of using adware, I would do it, but I have to face the fact that peopel don't pay forthe software they use very much these days, especially not for plugins of another free (MSN Messenger) program.

Patchou, I find it strange that you cannot figure out how to do what most other individual software developers and companies are able to do. As an adware bundler you are in the minority. Most softwares figure out how to support themselves and/or make a living without bundling adware to their software. Although you show excellent problem solving skills with your software I'm not sure why you cant find a solution to this problem. I think its probably because you dont consider it a problem to begin with. But as you can see.. some people do. In fact, enough people do in order for you to have been labeled and adware bundler by the developer of this software. I'm sure they didn't just add you because they dont like you or your software. I'm sure they have a pretty good reason.

quote:
What you're describing for WinPcap is exactly what I was talking aboutin the other thread. I have very concerned about what's going to happen this year and the next in thesoftware developement community. If a big company (Microsoft or any other one) distributes a software that "tags" software they don't like for X or Y reason, it's going to cause lots of damage. Nobody has the right to do that kind of thing, this is just a completely unfair practice made in the name of "let's protect our users".

I happen to disagree that this is a problem. The consumer is the king. The consumer gets what they want. The reason companies have to do this is because companies like C2Media take advantage of careless people who click on anything and everything.
Those same consumers are now demanding solutions to protect them from this and companies like Giant stepped up to the plate and gave the consumer what they wanted. If this software becomes widely used its becaue the consumers likes it.

quote:
They could very well start warning about Real Video being installed on your computer with all the crap its auto-update installs on one's computer. I'm asking you: where's the limit and who's going to decide about it?

Real found out the hard way that people dont like sneaky tactics. Their recent players have gotten much much better. In fact they almost stopped being sneaky altogether and its very easy now to turn any unwanted things off.

What you fear isn't really able to happen. If software would get categorized the wrong way the consumer would complain and stop using the software that wrongly categorizes things as "bad". If Giant/Microsoft would start unfairly labeling software in a way that consumers dont like, then they will use other software that gets the job done better.
01-07-2005 06:10 PM
XM4ST3RX

DJ Scoop!

37 / Male / –
Hi,

Alot of people would pay for Messenger Plus!

But as Patchou said, not many people will pay for Addon's for another program...

Reason for this is MSN Messenger may release something that stop's Messenger Plus!'s full functionality, therefor the paying users are not getting what they paid for...

Whereas Sponsor Program's... you are helping Messenger Plus! on a day-to-day basis, for as long as Messenger Plus! is alive on your system!

Kind Regards,
XM4ST3RX
01-07-2005 06:30 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: