What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Request For Stats

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
Request For Stats
Author: Message:
Stigmata
Veteran Member

20 / Other / Flag
O.P. RE: Request For Stats
quote:
Originally posted by paperless
i think hje means the time in hours people have been here...
yep
02-06-2005 06:02 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
RE: Request For Stats
quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
page that lists all the beta testers
Read what Sunshine said.

quote:
and all the translators + what language they translate to
The forum database doesn't currently know what languages they translate to. Also, there is already a translator database maintained by Patchou and MenthiX. If any list is made public, it probably should be that. Currently, it can't be since it contains private info.

quote:
who spent the longest time on the board
I might add that feature again (I added it to DevBB before), but it should be by surprise so you don't know when to cheat. :tongue: (I think people would probably set their browsers to refresh often, thus keeping them "online" when they're really not.)

quote:
What browser people use
The most typical way to get browser stats is by analyzing the access logs, but I think what would be more interesting/accurate is gathering stats for members only. I'll set something up for that, ok? :p
02-07-2005 04:56 AM
surfichris
Former Admin

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I might add that feature again (I added it to DevBB before), but it should be by surprise so you don't know when to cheat. (I think people would probably set their browsers to refresh often, thus keeping them "online" when they're really not.)
Add it at some stage and leave it running for a few months (maybe one month :-/) just to get some "real" stats..
02-07-2005 05:39 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Ash_

35 / Male / –
im all for the idea,

but seeings as everyone is craving stats, heres mine and -dt-'s  sig views stats combined :P

quote:
Originally posted by Stats

44417 Total vists
21975 Total Firefox vists
19993 Total IE vists
1463 Total Opera vists
986 Total other browser vists

This post was edited on 02-07-2005 at 11:44 AM by Ash_.
[Image: jeansiger5.jpg]
02-07-2005 11:43 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Beta testers and translators are two different groups and they recieve different "beta" versions.

quote:
as posted here, and updated it a bit

(...) there is a difference between beta-testers and translators. Translators should focus mainly on translating, not on testing...

The normal way is:
  1. Patchou makes a beta...
  2. The beta is send only to those who are beta-tester. They test the beta for bugs and they report directly to Patchou...
  3. Patchou fixes the reported bugs...
  4. Another beta is send to the beta-testers and step 3 is repeated until Patchou and the beta-testers can't find any more bugs...
    ------------

Above steps are the same in case a public-beta is made. (like the current beta version)

------------
  5. Patchou makes a translators-beta...
  6. The translators-beta is send to the translators, and they make their translations and send them directly to Patchou...
    ------------

(In the main time, beta-testing can still continue though, and if a major bug is found, the process is repeated from step 5. Or sometimes Patchou can dicide to make a private beta for only 1 tester who encountered some strange bug.)

------------
  7. If everything went well and the deadline is there, Patchou can make a final beta and send them to the beta-testers and translators for the final check...
    ------------

------------
  8. Short fater this, Patchou makes the public version and releases it to the public...
    ------------

Now, all this doesn't mean that the translators can't test stuff also!

With some releases, not all beta-testers are given the first beta, so some bugs may have gone unnoticed at first (note: at first!)...

Of course, if the translators find a bug which was overlooked by the testers, they can report it. But they should report it directly to Patchou...

In case of a public beta, people can also report bugs on the forums.

As WDZ already said, the translators list contains private info and thus will not be published. But, if you search the forums a bit and if you look at the translation files, you can come a very long way to figure out the official and unofficial (those who don't have a "sticker" but do translate) list and who's translating what or who has translated what in the past...

Sometimes it would be handy to know who did what, but in almost all cases this is because of translation reasons. So you can easly contact Menthix/Patchou to ask for a mailforward in that case. I'm not sure if this list should be made public though. I know, like I said, you can figure out a lot by yourself, but there is still a difference between that and having a full blown list somewhere.

If someone wants to translate Messenger Plus!, all they have to do is look if the language already exists in Messenger Plus!. And if they still want to translate/help, they can post a message on the translation forums. (as it was always done as you can see in that forum)

As for the beta-testers list, this is the same story. Search the forums for those who have a beta-"sticker" below their name. Also, you can have a look in the about-screen of Messenger Plus!. The betatester-list is something which shouldn't be published IMHO (even more then the translatorslist) for the obvious "bugging"-reasons...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-07-2005 12:57 PM
jren207

JR! - We <3 Fanta

34 / Male / –
I think the browser stats etc would be a good idea, because you can see what browser someone is using the most, so that you can take priority to develop parts of the pages of the forum for the popular browser first, then make changes to other parts, like the way firefox make things look different to IE...
02-07-2005 06:39 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
If you don't want to waste time making a program to see people's browser, just go to www.statcounter.com and follow easy steps :)

Hope i've helped ;)
02-09-2005 12:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by supersonicdarky
If you don't want to waste time making a program to see people's browser, just go to www.statcounter.com and follow easy steps
Things like that are for web newbies, IMO. :p They're ugly, and they slow your pages because you have to load a dynamic image from another server.

Anyways, I gathered browser IDs for almost 500 members over the last few days, and here are some quick and dirty stats...

1. IE 6.0 (52.83%)
2. Firefox 1.0 (37.39%)
3. Opera 7.5 (2.17%)
4. Firefox 0.10 (1.52%)
5. IE 5.0 (1.09%)
6. Opera 8.0 (0.87%)
7. Netscape 7.2 (0.65%)
8. IE 5.5 (0.65%)
9. Mozilla 1.7 (0.43%)

I might make a more detailed report some other time... I'm tired... |-)
02-10-2005 06:24 AM
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
:DGo firefox!:D
02-10-2005 08:48 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
i reckon me and wdz are the only opera users.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
02-10-2005 08:56 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: