What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Ram....

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Ram....
Author: Message:
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: Ram....
quote:
Originally posted by Freaky Guy
i have 256 mb ram, but my comp shows just 229 mb...wassup wid this?
That means some of it is built in..i got the same...i supposively have 512 and it shows 480.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
02-09-2005 03:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Eljay
Elite Member

:O

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
That means some of it is built in..i got the same...i supposively have 512 and it shows 480.
thats probably because of a 32MB integrated gfx card or sumthing
02-09-2005 04:15 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
user2319
Disabled Account

RE: RE: Ram....
quote:
Originally posted by Lee Jeffery
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
thats probably because of a 32MB integrated gfx card or sumthing

yup, and the gfx card then steals some of your memory, because it doesn't have any built-in.. :dodgy:
02-09-2005 05:47 PM
Rubber Stamp

It Was Never Random

34 / Male / –
yah, its shared or something, but earlier it showed 248 mb and suddenly, its 229 mb, weird
02-10-2005 05:32 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
C3PO

Formally known as 'Wolfenstein'

33 / Male / –
I recently bought a 512 ddr ram (400mhz) stick, my computer runs so much smoother now and i can finally play doom 3! evan though not very smootly :( but o well. I heard a good explanation ( if thats the word) of how ram and hardrives work. Picture your hardrive as a garage and the bigger it is the more space you can hold now picture ram as the car the faster thw ram is the smoother and faster the cats pulls in ;) there not the exact words I heard the explanation was a lot betta then i explaned but i thought it was interesting how they put it.
[Image: customsig30958km5eg.gif]
02-10-2005 11:58 AM
user2319
Disabled Account

That's a nice explanation, but then you should still explain processors :P It'd be more like the proc being the engine, and the ram being the seats? And then the trunk would be the hdd? Mobo being the frame and PSU the fuel-tank
02-10-2005 05:48 PM
segosa
Community's Choice

Why don't people just learn the technical details and then they won't need these stupid analogies to understand it? :P
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
02-10-2005 06:16 PM
C3PO

Formally known as 'Wolfenstein'

33 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by C3PO
I recently bought a 512 ddr ram (400mhz) stick, my computer runs so much smoother now and i can finally play doom 3! evan though not very smootly :( but o well. I heard a good explanation ( if thats the word) of how ram and hardrives work. Picture your hardrive as a garage and the bigger it is the more space you can hold now picture ram as the car the faster thw ram is the smoother and faster the cats pulls in ;) there not the exact words I heard the explanation was a lot betta then i explaned but i thought it was interesting how they put it.

I think that would just confuse people :undecided:
[Image: customsig30958km5eg.gif]
02-10-2005 06:27 PM
user2319
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
Why don't people just learn the technical details and then they won't need these stupid analogies to understand it? :P

because technical details scare them.. for the common user, computer == intel == windows == msn == kazaa == :devil:
02-10-2005 06:28 PM
ZrednaZ

37 / Male / Flag
I'll just go ahead and have a shot at explaining what RAM is as well. ;)

Ok, so imagine that you're writing an essay, but you have a limited volcabulary. So you get a dictionary (this being the computer harddrive) and start writing the essay using this. But you quickly realize that you keep looking up the same words again and again, so you devise a new solution: Writing down your commonly used words in a quickly-accessable notebook (this being the comptuer RAM).

But wait... suddenly your notebook starts to fill up, so you decide to put some sheets of paper from the notebook back into the dictionary (let's just say underneath the front cover). This was supposed to illustrate what the harddrive's page file does... It's simply a slow backup solution for the RAM. So if you're browsing the net in Internet Explorer and then open a game, the game will need so much RAM that Windows will have to free up some RAM by swapping Internet Explorer into the pagefile.

Comprendes? ;)
No, I didn't search before
posting. Don't bother asking.
02-10-2005 07:15 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: