What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Plus Icon in IMWindow

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
1 votes - 5 average   Plus Icon in IMWindow
Author: Message:
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Plus Icon in IMWindow
Im starting to agree more and more with Cookie everytime I read his posts! Man hes always right :P

Anyways like Cookie said, Patchou doesnt just paste the buttons anywhere. He looks at all the different possibilities of conflicts and other problems that may occur if he puts it in some other place. The hide/show button is accually a good suggestion. This will problably (dont take my word for the following..:) be implanted in a future release along with a "/" command for personal message changing...
03-21-2005 10:06 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
uam

RE: RE: Plus Icon in IMWindow
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
As for a tab; if you would slide up a menu from it when you click, that wouldn't be a tab anymore. Windows is all about consistency; you can't just go and change the functionality from controls. And also, Plus! is an addon, not a stand alone chatprogram. It only can use what is available by hooking MSN Messenger.

Sorry for pointing that here out, but what is consistent on the listbox showing up under Presets button in Personalised status? ^o)
Moreover, not only the list cannot handle keyboard events (which I personally find very annoying), but what control is the button? It remains toggled, but it cannot be untoggled... whole this stuff is everything but not Windows-like.
03-27-2005 11:47 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by uam
Sorry for pointing that here out, but what is consistent on the listbox showing up under Presets button in Personalised status? ^o)
Moreover, not only the list cannot handle keyboard events (which I personally find very annoying), but what control is the button? It remains toggled, but it cannot be untoggled... whole this stuff is everything but not Windows-like.
You're right, it's kinda dodgy... but that's the only thing like that in Plus I think :-/ It can be untoggled by unfocusing the window.

This post was edited on 03-28-2005 at 01:59 AM by lopardo.
[Image: userbar452797dd.gif]
03-28-2005 01:58 AM
uam

Yep, I also thing this is the only thing like that. Yes, it disappears almost by everything you do, except clicking the button again ;)
03-28-2005 01:01 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
[OFF TOPIC]
Although it isn't often seen, such a button is also standard in windows and is called a toggle button. It's a button which keeps his current state even if you release the mousebutton. Considering the label and the needed explaination in the panel below it, it is an alternative to a normal label + combobox + frame.
[/OFF TOPIC]

This post was edited on 03-29-2005 at 12:28 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-29-2005 12:27 AM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
As Cookie already explained it so well, if there was another place where the icons could be put, they woudl already be there...when creating Plus! 3.50 I searched a very long tiem for a sollution and I'm pretty happy with the current one. The fact is, I tried what yousuggested in yourscreenshot  (icons at the bottom) but the "User is saying" message just messed it up too much. Almost every other place can be cut off from the window and the original location is crowded in Messenger 7. I thankyou for your suggestions but I dothink the current little vertical bar is the way to go for now as it's included nicely in the chat window (uses the same color theme), doesn't flash out weirdly when resizing the window (likethe previous icon was doing) and provides space for future possible additions :). Note that if you disable it, you can still bring the sound panel from the Plus! menu or with a keyboard shortcut (I don't remember it as I don't use it, it's in the change log :)).
[Image: signature2.gif]
03-29-2005 05:17 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Purity
Veteran Member

AngelFuck

34 / Female / –
I think that the icon is perfect where it is and theres nothing wrong with where it is right now...:)
[Image: puritysig8.jpg/]
www.purity.toastednet.org
03-29-2005 06:04 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Shaggie

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Madman
quote:
Originally posted by Shaggie
I hate to suggest it but it appears as though it would fit under the "My Display Picture".  The only question is "Is it possible to put it there?"

Shaggie

If there isnt a display picture there or you press the arrow to hide it, the textbox moves accross and fills up that space. So that means it would cause compatibility problems.

I must admit that I did not think of that since I almost never hide my display picture.

I have no problems with where it is.  Is it possible that you have the problem because you are using a 640x480 screen size?  I use 1152x864 and find the loss of space hardly noticeable.  Anyway, I don't think this is worth discussing anymore IMHO.

This post was edited on 03-29-2005 at 03:41 PM by Shaggie.
03-29-2005 03:40 PM
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Although it isn't often seen, such a button is also standard in windows and is called a toggle button. It's a button which keeps his current state even if you release the mousebutton.
We know about toggle buttons, we're just pointing out that it is used in a dodgy manner there (the toggle button is standard, but it showing a listbox in that way is not). I don't understand your alternative, but I think a better approach would be if that button had an arrow and showed a menu when clicked...
[Image: userbar452797dd.gif]
03-29-2005 09:43 PM
Impheatus

40 / Male / –
Mhh... you didn't answer to my suggestion Patchou... about the hide/show arrow for the enhanced toolbar...

I think it won't take you more than 10 minutes to code and it would be very usefull for everyone.

Hope you have that in mind and keep up the good work.
P.S. Thanks for taking care about us by replying in the forums :D
03-31-2005 06:40 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: