What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Messenger Plus! POP3 Gmail Limitations

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 » Last »
Messenger Plus! POP3 Gmail Limitations
Author: Message:
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: MsgPlus! 3.50 Pop3 Gmail Limitations
quote:
Originally posted by JMMB
   I've been having the same problems with gmail only I've tried everything in this thread and it still tells me I have five e-mails every time, even now that I've permanently deleted every last one and tried multiple different combinations of settings.  My messenger keeps telling windows that I have five unread messages, so that shows up on the XP welcome/login screen and it won't go away!:@  I've tried everything I can think of can anyone help me?!:(

JMMB

The unread email count will go away after a while. The default expiry is 14 days.

quote:
Originally posted by Ricey
So basically, Patchou lied to us all when he said messenger plus would be compatible with gmail

(N)

Patchou said Messenger Plus! would work with Gmail now because it would support SSL with POP3, which it does. Problem is, Gmail doesn't only tell Plus! about unread emails.

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Anyways this thread is about MsgPlus! 3.50 Pop3 Gmail Limitations, not about alternative Gmail checkers. Lets try and stay on topic:P

This is a Gmail limitation, Messenger Plus! is doing all it should, quoting information given by Gmail.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
04-09-2005 12:20 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
RE: MsgPlus! 3.50 Pop3 Gmail Limitations
Exactly, if you need anymore information PM me with your email and i'll explain it to you there. I investigated this feature before the launch of the latest plus and i can tell you everything you'd want to know :)
Segosa is newb.
04-09-2005 12:22 AM
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
Although it has nothing do do with Plus! Those of you who want to know when they get mail from Gmail can use Google's notifier instead of MSN. It places an icon of an envelope in the system tray. Notificatoins are sent with a slide up message, and the envelope gains a blue border when new mail arrives. More info can be obtained from Gmail's
Info Page
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
04-12-2005 08:50 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
yonki

You say its gmails fault. Then why does it work properly with all these other programs?
quote:
Configure POP Access
Answer     
return to Help Center

Once you've enabled POP in your Gmail account, configure your mail client or wireless device to download Gmail messages. To learn about configuration settings, click the name of your mail client or wireless device below:

Mail Clients

* Outlook Express and Outlook 2002 (and older) (Windows)
    * Outlook Express and Outlook 2002 (and older) (Mac)
    * Outlook 2003
    * Entourage 2004
    * Entourage X
    * Eudora 5.1 (and higher) (Sponsored & Paid Mode)
    * Eudora 5.1 (and higher) (Light Mode)
    * Netscape Mail 7.x
    * Netscape Mail 6.2
    * Netscape Mail 4.5, 4.6, or 4.7
    * Apple Mail
    * Mozilla 1.7
    * Thunderbird 0.x

* Other

Wireless Devices

* BlackBerry Internet Service™
I think it can be done (impossible is nothing ;) ). If you make it work properly youll have a better msgplus, if you dont you can keep blaming gmail but msgplus users will be lacking that feature.
04-12-2005 09:29 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
It works properly with all those other programs because all of those other programs are fully-fledged POP3 email clients. They download all mail out of your Gmail account, and create a local copy on your computer, which is presented to you for you to read and manage/delete. Normally, with POP3 mail, once a client downloads messages, it deletes from the server. Gmail won't let the client do this, but you can set Gmail to take an action with downloaded messages. You then read them in the client, you delete them from the client, or the client marks the local copy as read.

Messenger Plus! is not a email client. It reads the POP3 data from Gmail, and reports the number of messages. If you choose, Messenger Plus! will launch a full POP3 client, or open www.gmail.com in your default web browser when click your email notification.

That list exists because they are popular programs, and Google has had the time to create step-by-step guides to entering Gmail's POP3 settings into them. It is not a supported clients list.

Edit: Spelling and clarification

This post was edited on 06-03-2005 at 10:40 AM by rav0.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
04-13-2005 03:37 AM
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
If outlook and those other programs just checked your email they would come up with the same number as Plus! Except the way in which your using outlook (& etc) is to read and download the messages.

Plus! does not download any messages merely just reports the number back to you. Gmail doesn't abide to the pop3 protocol very well and hence this is why it doesn't work :(
Segosa is newb.
04-13-2005 03:43 AM
XinanZhang™

33 / Male / –
RE: MsgPlus! 3.5 Pop3 Gmail Limitations
Ok thanks for the news. *-)

XinanZhang™
[Image: april05neowinsig.jpg]
04-16-2005 04:42 AM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
It seems that we can't read properly.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=441224]

It says total email count. :o

.png File Attachment: Messenger Plus! new POP3 email notification.png (5.36 KB)
This file has been downloaded 2319 time(s).

This post was edited on 04-16-2005 at 05:24 AM by rav0.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

04-16-2005 05:19 AM
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
Yep, but it should be total of the inbox and notify you with new emails ;). Thats why theres limitations with gmail :(
Segosa is newb.
04-16-2005 06:58 AM
Ben Dummett

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Let us hope Google will fix their pop3 feature in the near future and abide by the standards of the pop3 protocol.

Well I guess gmail is still in beta, so there is hope yet!

:)
04-24-2005 01:43 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: