What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » This filter is not the answer

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
This filter is not the answer
Author: Message:
God of the Devil

Get rid of the Internet Dee-Dees NOW

40 / Male / –
O.P. This filter is not the answer
has anyone read the news on mess.be's website about microsoft trying to block protentally bad extentions, sorry its just crap, its playing into the stupid ppl who shouldnt be online before they learned how to use the computer, it inhibits anyone who wants to share geniune files, like flash movies that use .exe, even share screensavers and anything that GENIUNE programmers might want to share. all i know its just going to be blocked, doenst say if they will be an option to disable it or just to warn, which would be the better option why should the stupid need their hand held by ppl like microsoft all the time they should be educated, if ppl like microsoft handholds the user then they they are not going to learn they are going to be remain stupid and ingroent to the dangers of the internet, at the end of the day hackers and bad peeps are gonna be one step ahead with ways to get around it. whats msn gonna do block that or block all file transfer altoegther, ppl who do stupid things on their computer like accept these files which a 5yr old could tell its a virus, deserve to have their computer infected, they might learn then, if this filter is in they will never learn. i mean its not rocket science, you dont need a degree in ICT just need common sence, keep your Antivirus updated, and even exercise the option to scan all incomming files, and if a file transfer seems radom ASK what it is, that way you can alert the person whos infected that they are infected. microsoft is just playing on stupidity and making things worse. internet users dont need their hands held, they need to be ecucatad, and learn how to walk (use a computer) before they can run (use the internet),
(6)The Devil is not Red.. But he is sure is horny

[Image: linux.gif]Tux Rules, Bill Take a Good Look at your Killer muahhahaha
03-25-2005 06:16 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
RE: This filter is not the answer
Just because you understand that accepting dodgy files could lead to having a virus doesnt mean every should.

There are people who use MSN to talk to people they know and trust and would think twice about accepting a file they get sent. How are they supposed to know that a .pif could be a virus. They dont read messenger sites so they wont know.

Is it really that hard for all the 1337 messenger users that need to send legitimate files to each other to use a zip file?
03-25-2005 06:26 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
God of the Devil

40 / Male / –
O.P. RE: This filter is not the answer
thats my point excatly, ppl should be edcucated about the dangers of the internet before they go on it,

the ammount of ppl who buy a computer just to go online is booming, but mention the words "antivirus" and "firewall" and they look blank, tell me would you let someone drive a car without so much has having one lession, if everybody did that there would be more crashes then you see on a persons computer because of their lack of basic knolage and lack of common sence, its not me being arrogent or anything but as i said you have to learn to walk before you can run. common sence dude. person A: sends file.pif wouldnt person B just ask "whats that?" thats so simple isnt it.. yet common sence seems to bypass ppl, or is it just lazyness

03-25-2005 06:31 PM
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
Maybe there should be option to tick saying you understand the risks but you still want to receieve these files
03-25-2005 07:06 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
net-cruizer

TCP Junkie

– / Male / –
True, definitely isn't the answer. Thats what I've been telling people.
It would be pretty much the same thing if MS did some changes to Windows disallowing downloading of those filetypes period, except from Windows Update of course. Now people surely wouldn't be happy about that, right?
Basicly the Send File feature in Messenger should just be removed, as it is pretty much useless now.
And as someone mentioned .zip, no it isn't hard to do, but would be a total pain in the @ss if that had to be done all the time, and non-xp users don't always have a program that handles zipped files.
There should just be a warning message.
03-25-2005 08:21 PM
God of the Devil

40 / Male / –
shhhh dont tell microsoft that or they will ban .zip .rar .tar.gz files and all we can resort to FTP and micorosft cant ban that, if they ban downloaded file types all what will happen is ppl will resort to apple and linux. lets cut down stupidity not encourage it

03-25-2005 08:36 PM
net-cruizer

TCP Junkie

– / Male / –
RE: RE: This filter is not the answer
quote:
Originally posted by God of the Devil
ppl will resort to apple and linux.
And as it is people may resort to ICQ, Yahoo Messenger, etc. etc. so whats the diff, MS will still lose. Maybe they havent thought of that, lol.
In a way, it's not a huge deal to me, I run a webserver with virtual pages, so I can give my contacts a link to a file. Faster for them to download that way than threw Messenger anyways.
03-26-2005 07:32 AM
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
yep this was being discussed at SPNG forums! i had a long convo about it there, its not fair that this should be blocked for everyone, but like the auto-resizing of display pictures.. others have ruined it for everyone :(
Segosa is newb.
03-26-2005 09:11 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
God of the Devil

40 / Male / –
well msn will try to block it, but as everyone knows there will be some smartarse out there who will ether do a patch or a plugin to override it so MSNanny will still remain pointless and usless as it ever is.

why cant ppl treat the internet like any other tool, what happens if you use a tool and not follow the basic safty steps? you get hurt, ok granted no computer virus is gonna make you lie in intensive care, but the internet is a tool like any other, its not a toy which the majority seems to think it is.

03-26-2005 06:57 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
I agree 100%... software companies want to protect users against themselves, however, that's not the solution to anything. Usinga computer is more and more painless for people who were used to the plain old "press Y to format your computer" system. If you pressed Y, no other software was poping up telling you you may be wrong to do that. If you were wrong, well, you learned it the hard way and never pressed Y again withoutreading the instructions. If the situation continues, Apple products may start looking better to me.
[Image: signature2.gif]
03-27-2005 08:34 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: