What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » A call to all P2P users

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
A call to all P2P users
Author: Message:
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: A call to all P2P users
quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
I say it's out there why not use it? Can't let it go to waste. Since theres so much other stuff on the net that is crap and takes up good space. Why not use the good stuff insted of letting it pile with the crap and waste space. :P

That's the exact same thing people have always said about fur, ivory, and many other things that have a distasteful background: "the animal is already dead! it will make no difference if I buy his skin for my new coat".
[Image: signature2.gif]
04-12-2005 12:11 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Wabz
Elite Member

Its Groovy Baby!

38 / Male / Flag
RE: A call to all P2P users
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I'm sorry guys but you got toopen your eyes for a minute.When you're in a super market, you don't open a several boxes of cereals, eat a little in each of them, go back home and say "I'll buy a box the day I'm satisified with one of them". Downloading a song you didn't pay for is STEALING, nothing more, nothing less. If buying a $15 CD is to expensive for your wallet, then do like everyone else did for years and listen to the radio.

Now I agree with this to the point of theres a brand new cerial no ones tried its different.  Theres no one to recommend it too you, the adverts will perhaps advise you to buy it.  But in all honesty you wont buy something you might not like till you tried it.

I'd say 50% of the albums I own come of me downloading a song or two of that artist.  (I'm into hip hop which isn't that mainstream in the UK) take DMX I'd be suprised if anyone could name more than 4 songs by him. 

I agree with both sides I don't like the blantenly robbery of  music to me thats just as bad as walking into HMV and walking out with witha Wad of CDs without paying

However I also know it takes more than one song to make me buy an album.  Both sides make a good argument, but to be honest you have to pay for what you want and its always a minefield nowadays
Mess.be Forum Moderator
Messenger Plus ex-IRC Network Admin
Gimme a Rep!
04-12-2005 12:20 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
This isn't about free music, its about free speech and file sharing of all types.

For example, there are hundreds of results of Messenger Plus! archived and current builds on Gnutella (the network used by Kazaa, LimeWire, BearShare and more).

Independent artists publish their music using P2P software. BearShare even has a public publishing facility to do just that.

When you have a corrupted file or just one missing DLL that is stopping you from using that oh-so-amazing application, chances are you can find that file on a P2P network.

Anyway, that's my 2c rave.

:S Geez, I sound like a radio advertisment.

Update
@Patchou: Where do you find $15 CDs? Most things I see are twice that!

This post was edited on 12-07-2005 at 09:06 AM by rav0.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
04-12-2005 12:45 AM
Weyzza
Veteran Member

SoCal sunset > *

– / Male / –
quote:
I'm sorry guys but you got toopen your eyes for a minute.When you're in a super market, you don't open a several boxes of cereals, eat a little in each of them, go back home and say "I'll buy a box the day I'm satisified with one of them". Downloading a song you didn't pay for is STEALING, nothing more, nothing less. If buying a $15 CD is to expensive for your wallet, then do like everyone else did for years and listen to the radio.
(Y)
I have to admit that is a great analogy.

So yeah, if you wanna "test" something, listen the song in the radio, or you can find the songs you wanna "test" at amazon.com or barnesandnoble.com and click on the samples.
Easy...

This post was edited on 04-12-2005 at 04:09 AM by Weyzza.
Registered 7608 days, 21 hours, 50 minutes, 1 second ago.
Happy Birthday, WDZ

04-12-2005 04:09 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
uberdosis

digital evil

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: A call to all P2P users
What i listen to i can't/ it's hard to get here where i live. I could go into more details, but not at the moment anyways.
[Image: skav.jpg]
04-12-2005 05:16 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
That's the exact same thing people have always said about fur, ivory, and many other things that have a distasteful background: "the animal is already dead! it will make no difference if I buy his skin for my new coat".

lol, but why was it killed? For the new coat :S

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
This isn't about free music, its about free speech and file sharing of all types.

The problem with this is that their "Speech"/vocals is their job, thats how they make money. Its their interlectual property and they deserve to be paid royalties for anyone that uses their creativity. If you like it enough to pay for it then buy it, if you don't like it then don't.

I agree with patchou, no matter what you say its always going to be illegal, and immoral cause you are depriving them of hard-earned money. Like the MPAA said "The illegal downloading ... robs thousands of honest, hard-working people of their livelihood, and stifles creativity." :(
Segosa is newb.
04-12-2005 05:24 AM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: A call to all P2P users
quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
quote:
Originally posted by rav0

The problem with this is that their "Speech"/vocals is their job, thats how they make money. Its their interlectual property and they deserve to be paid royalties for anyone that uses their creativity. If you like it enough to pay for it then buy it, if you don't like it then don't.

I agree with patchou, no matter what you say its always going to be illegal, and immoral cause you are depriving them of hard-earned money. Like the MPAA said "The illegal downloading ... robs thousands of honest, hard-working people of their livelihood, and stifles creativity." :(

Read my post, I said P2P isn't all about free music, if people use it for that, then they should know that it's stealing. I think the MPAA and RIAA shouldn't use that as an excuse to shut down P2P, because that's all it is; an excuse. They feel threatened, so they try to stifle new technology and innovation. I think that VCRs and DVRs are more dangerous to their industry, but they would rather attack P2P than taht because it can be done more covertly.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
04-12-2005 05:34 AM
Odium696

Just... Me...

37 / Male / –
Happy  RE: A call to all P2P users
Yo know,
For me it makes no big difference.

When the P2P didn't existed, I used to search around for the MP3 or I just copied the CD from a friend!

Now with the P2P is easy to do what I used to do but one a way now it makes me buy the CD's, because now I know many more great artist!

Now I buy more CD's.

This post was edited on 04-12-2005 at 09:35 PM by Odium696.
04-12-2005 09:18 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
p2p.....can jus type SONG NAME MPŁ FREE DOWNLOAD in google and it normally comes up :dodgy:!!!!!!!:dodgy:!!!!!!!:dodgy:!!!!!!!:dodgy:!!!!!!!

or there are lots of sites with databases of links to mp3's on sites.... :dodgy:!!!!!!!aswell

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
04-12-2005 09:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: