What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Windows XP Stored Password finder

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Windows XP Stored Password finder
Author: Message:
Pr0xY
Veteran Member

passwords are for treehouses

– / Male / –
O.P. Windows XP Stored Password finder
I need to find the access password for my school's wireless internet on one of the school's laptops.  I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on which program worked well with finding that password that is stored on the laptop. 

Thanks
-Pr0xY
04-11-2005 03:05 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
RE: Windows XP Stored Password finder
Theres an option itself in XP With your stored passwords. Give me a minute to find it. If its a broswer password and you use Firefox you can go to Tools>Options>Privacy>Passwords and if its an account password you can go Control Panel>Users>Administrator>Stored Passwords.

Edit: Wait no theres not, not unless you give me more information about what exactly this password is.

This post was edited on 04-11-2005 at 03:16 PM by Pyroteq.
04-11-2005 03:12 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pr0xY
Veteran Member

passwords are for treehouses

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Windows XP Stored Password finder
The Control Panel is locked, along with the registry. 
04-11-2005 03:17 PM
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
What do you need this for anyway, Are you trying to hack your school system.. Shouldnt the school admin just give you the password if your using it for somthing decent

Other than that i dont know of any local computer sniffing password programs, have you googled yet?
04-11-2005 03:18 PM
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
This is from Microsoft

quote:
Stored User Names and Passwords is a mechanism that dynamically and manually creates credential sets (a user name and password) for resources. This functionality is available from the graphical user interface (GUI) and from the command line. The types of credentials that you can manage with Stored User Names and Passwords are: • User names and passwords
• X.509 certificates (smart cards)
• Passports
Note: Windows XP Home Edition stores only Remote Access Services/Virtual Private Networking and Passport credentials. You must be logged on as Local Administrator to see the list of "Stored User Names and Passwords."

The most common scenarios for using Stored User Names and Passwords is when a user attempts to access one of the following: • Resources in an untrusted domain
• Resources with alternative credentials
• A Web site with a password
• A Web site with a certificate
To access these credentials in Control Panel: • Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional in a workgroup:

In the User Accounts tool, select the logged-on user account.
• Windows XP Professional in a domain:

In the User Accounts tool, on the Advanced tab, click Manage Passwords.
In Stored User Names and Passwords, keys are created dynamically and manually.

DYNAMIC keys are created in the following way: 1. A user attempts to connect to \\server\share.
2. The user's logon credentials are attempted. If these do not gain access, Stored User Names and Passwords prompts.
3. Credentials are put in Stored User Names and Passwords after it successfully connects, or if Cancel is clicked on a returned error message.
The following options are available for the Stored User Names and Passwords prompt: • Username
• Password
• Remember my password
MANUAL Keys are created in the following way: 1. Start the Stored User Names and Passwords tool in Control Panel.
2. Click New.
3. Type the appropriate information in the boxes: • Server: Use the hostname, FQDN, wildcards, and so forth.
• User Name: Domain\Username; Machine\Username; UPN.
• Password: Type the password.
• Use this user name and password for: • The current logon session only: Lives for this session only; gone at logoff.
• This user account on this computer: Lives on this machine; persists between logoffs/reboots.
• This user account on any computer: Same as the previous AND gets written the roaming file.

Stored User Names and Passwords connection objects (keys) can be created manually to various entities: • specific resource: server.domain.forest.com
• less specific set of resources: *.domain.forest.com (all resources in domain.forest.com)
• very general set of resources: *.forest.com (all resources in forest.com)
If there are multiple credentials that can apply to a target resource, Stored User Names and Passwords in Windows XP SP1 and later uses the most specific credential. For example, a user attempts to connect to \\server, which is server.domain.forest.com. The user may have credentials for the server, *.domain.forest.com, and *.forest.com. In this scenario, the most specific credential applicable is for the server itself, so that is the one used.

For additional information Stored User Names and Passwords, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Unless you have access to control panel you'd probably have to hack for the password and that could get you into a LOT of trouble..
04-11-2005 03:20 PM
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
MWE Thats what i said about the control panel and user passwords, just in a really complicated way.

Proxy said the control panel is locked
Thats why hes looking for a program i suppose
04-11-2005 03:22 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
Why do you need to know the password? As soon as you're in range the computer will be able to log you onto their network, without needing to enter a password, if it is stored.

This post was edited on 04-11-2005 at 03:26 PM by Anubis.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
04-11-2005 03:24 PM
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
Yeah i know i was explaining... didn't mean to copy you

Well even if you did find a program, you'd still have to get past firewalls and other security measures... especially if they only allow access to certain IP addresses

This post was edited on 04-11-2005 at 03:25 PM by mwe99.
04-11-2005 03:25 PM
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
Whos laptop is it? If its the schools they shouldnt have a problem logging it onto the network for you.. And if its yours well i dont know your school policy but at my school all we have to do is ask..Maybe you should do that before you do anything Illegal

This post was edited on 04-11-2005 at 03:30 PM by Pyroteq.
04-11-2005 03:30 PM
tomfletcherman

35 / Male / –
I have  a program, it's called sam inside. The issue with this is you need to be admin to hav access to sam files, but if you're not boot up linux from a CD and copy the sam files from their directory and then run them through this program. It tries guessing and eventually brute forces. http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=U&start=1&q=http:/...nside.shtml&e=9901

This post was edited on 04-11-2005 at 03:37 PM by tomfletcherman.
04-11-2005 03:35 PM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: