What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Is Firefox better than IE for businesses? [old thread warning]

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Is Firefox better than IE for businesses? [old thread warning]
Author: Message:
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Is Firefox Better Than IE for buissnes's.
quote:
Originally posted by -Bogan-
For a school project I have to show that Firefox is Better Than IE for buissnes's.

why would you need to show that for a school project, since it's wrong? IE is much better for business than firefox -- group policy support, activex, etc.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
04-06-2008 03:38 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
I have to disagree with the majority of the users posting in this thread. Firefox really doesn't have a place in the business world. When you look at a business as a whole it is made up of less technical savvy users. Yes there are a few exceptions to this rule (especially when I developed a report and used some small features which were accepted by Internet Explorer but not Firefox). When you look at Firefox and its "extensions" although these are easily added by clicking a link a ZAP installation can be created to push any ActiveX control needed to each PC so that the there are no issues with Internet Explorer and installing these controls.

If Internet Explorer is configured properly there is no reason why it cannot be used in a business sense. People like familiarity they don't necessarily like change. Changing their browser may cause more confusion then it is worth.

I agree 100% with Jeronimo, I am an avid user of Firefox (it is the first application I install after a reinstall of the operating system) however for the case and question at hand Firefox really doesn't belong in the corporate world -with a few exceptions.

Good article to read:
Mozilla Firefox vs. Internet Explorer: Which is Safer?
04-06-2008 03:43 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
3-year old thread bumpage <3

We personally use FF at work and it is really good.  More and more people use it at home so therefore they are used to it already, it works well with bugzilla (we also use that) and because we are cheap we also have thunderbird, all because they are free and people like them.

Just my 2 cents
[Image: markee.png]
04-06-2008 04:02 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Eddie
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
My school uses Firefox in the hope that no one knows how to use it and get around the schools firewall, boy were they wrong, myspace on nearly every screen ya see around the school since they changed *-)
...there used to be a signature here :)
04-06-2008 08:50 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Aardvark

Waterfall! :O

32 / Male / Flag
We use Firefox and IE. Firefox is set as default so it's got a shortcut up the start menu. Strangely enough though, there are people who go hunting for IE purely because they think it's gone missing (mustn't know what Firefox is I guess...)
04-06-2008 09:03 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Is Firefox better than IE for businesses? [old thread warning]
3 years ago I would've been tempted to say IE was much better in the business place since it did have the backing of Microsoft behind it. While in some people's eyes that's a bad thing, it does mean that support is much more readily available - posting on Mozilla's forums can take up to an hour or so for a reply.

As for the safety/security aspect: ActiveX is inheritantly insecure. So much so, that it's the only security aspect that should be a problem if the IT department know what they're doing: Users of business (and educational) computers should not be allowed to install or modify essential files anyway, so the only way viruses could be installed (aside from the local-user's profile) is via system-level-exploits, which  ActiveX was pretty famous for - although it's not so bad these days.

IF the system is secure enough in this sense... there really is hardly any difference between firefox and IE. Although I reckon some long time users will be slightly miffed at not having the menu-bar in IE7/8 - I know a lot of people that were totally confused when Office 2007 came out - both my parents included.

@Aardvark: Well everyone has heard of "The Internet", so Mozilla Firefox doesn't really hint at all that it has anything to do with the Internet, it sounds more like a game or something. :)
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
04-06-2008 12:26 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Adeptus

RE: Is Firefox better than IE for businesses? [old thread warning]
shawnz gave one very good reason (lack of centralized management) of why Firefox is not better in an enterprise environment.  Another is Windows Integrated Authentication, which is extensively used for intranet applications -- and not supported by Firefox on any acceptable level.

Enterprise browser selection is not about perceived "better" security.  Unlike home user setups, there are many other tools in place to make up for that.  It is all about manageability and integration, where IE wins hands down.
04-07-2008 02:55 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: