What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » Plugin Idea --> font

Plugin Idea --> font
Author: Message:
BlackRainbow

O.P. Plugin Idea --> font
Hi everyone!

I'm sharing this idea because I don't have enough time to code it myself...
I noticed that when Î'm using some "unusual" fonts most of the people see it as arial or times... and it's kind painful :grin: to explain everytime how to install these "very complicated and mystical components of windows" (I know I know... my friends are DUMB)...
So... I was wondering if it was possible to activate some kind of "autotransfer" funtion... not necessarely in the winnt/font folder...
maybe in a special folder (in order to make the program safer)... but the problem would be programming the plug-in in order to search for the .ttf in the PLUS! directory... and not into the windows font directory... and the problem is... that it isn't MSN messenger that manages the use of fonts (I don't know if i'm explaining myself properly... It's done by windows...)
If someone is interested in doing this plugin I'll give him/her the rights about my idea ;) (if you want you can add my nickname+real name)...

Bye!

This post was edited on 04-25-2005 at 10:17 PM by BlackRainbow.
04-25-2005 10:16 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Plugin Idea --> font
Simply send the font yourself to your contact. When he recieves it, tell him/her to right click it and select "install font"....

There is no way to make a plugin auto-detect if your contact has some font installed or not (would be a major breach of privacy).
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-26-2005 02:27 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
dylan!

l33t p4int3r

– / Male / Flag
i agree with cookie...but i also agree with BlackRainbow:P...this would be a awesome feature...but how is it privacy?...dont they install these fonts to show other people?:S
04-26-2005 02:36 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ~!dylan!~
but how is it privacy?...dont they install these fonts to show other people?
I don't want people to know what fonts I've installed, simple as that...
04-26-2005 02:50 AM
BlackRainbow

O.P. RE: Plugin Idea --> font
yeah... but... i've got 70 friends in messenger... and it would be BORING to have, each time i change my font, to tell everyone to install something...
And it wouldn't be a "major breach in privacy" imho... because when you send an image... there's a little "preview" and how is it in my pc??? there's a temp file that has been created!!! WITHOUT ASKING FOR MY PERMISSION!!! HERESY!!! :grin:
j/k... honestly I don't think it would be a problem ...
but if you say that this function could be used also like some kind of powerful and dangerous "overfilling HD's" tool, I could answer that it would be easy to create some kind of "font number limit"... like... one per contact... (in order to prevent "overfilling")
04-26-2005 05:31 PM
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by BlackRainbow

yeah... but... i've got 70 friends in messenger... and it would be BORING to have, each time i change my font, to tell everyone to install something...
And it wouldn't be a "major breach in privacy" imho... because when you send an image... there's a little "preview" and how is it in my pc??? there's a temp file that has been created!!! WITHOUT ASKING FOR MY PERMISSION!!! HERESY!!!
j/k... honestly I don't think it would be a problem ...
but if you say that this function could be used also like some kind of powerful and dangerous "overfilling HD's" tool, I could answer that it would be easy to create some kind of "font number limit"... like... one per contact... (in order to prevent "overfilling")

I don't agree...now this guy in my contact list uses a new font and it gets installed...multiply that for 82 i think and think...How many fonts would you have?Blah u'd have lots and lots of them, which would get very boring, when you wanted one and u'd had 10000 of them in your Letter type page..
04-26-2005 05:58 PM
rompom7

I think the whole privacy card is being over played. Especially in this case, it wouldn't see all the fonts you have, just the ones that your contact has intalled as well.

And if you don't want the people to even do that DON'T INSTALL THE PLUGIN!

Or if you have super secret special fonts that if anyone else knows about the world will self combust, you could tell the plugin to ignore or disable the use of that font.

Honestly, it's a font... It's not like they mean anything.

Here is my idea for the plugin, for the overzealous privacy paranoids

The first time you run Messenger with the plugin it asks you to select fonts you don't want your contacts seeing. And runs the configuration window.

Then if you want to use a custom font, you type /xfont <Font Name> in the contact window. The contact gets a prompt saying: -

quote:
<Contact> is asking if you have the font <Font Name> installed, It appears you do (or do not depending if they have it or not) have this font installed. Tell the contact:
'No I don't have it'
'Yes I do have it'
'Yes to all the fonts I do have'
'No to all'
The above could also be configured through a configuration window so you don't get annoying popups all the time.

If the person doesn't have the font it prompts them and if they accept it puts the font in the "Plugins/FontPlugin/Fonts" folder in your installation directory, runs a preview screen of the font asking if you would like to install this font. It can only accept and install .ttf, .ttc or .fon files.

If they do not accept the contact will see the default Arial font.
04-27-2005 12:24 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Please do understand how things work and what is needed to make it work and what has been said before agreeing/disagreeing to something...

Concearning the privacy, I was not talking about a plugin which both you and your contact need to install, and this wasn't the initial request either from the OP. A plugin you install which detects if the contact has something or not IS a privacy breach!

rompom7, what you're talking about is a different issue. In your suggestion both the contact and you need to have the same plugin. These two plugins communicate to eachother and the contact do have some saying in what is communicated. As you can see that is a total different situation concearning privacy.

As for the functionality (in parctice) of a plugin which both you and your contact need: If your contact is able to install and use a plugin like that, he sure would be able to right click on a downloaded font and select the menu item "install font".

The OP initially requested this mostly because of the noobness of his contacts. Solving this by letting those contacts install Messenger Plus! and additional plugin(s) and configure them all isn't that good of a solution for this situation.

Even if such a plugin would be made, it would require to automatically handle fontsearching, filehandling, and sending/recieving files over a messenger connection or even P2P method. All this is easy to say but hard to pull of in a secure way and proper manner. Also take in account that, first of all, transferring files like that takes time. This means that the result will not be visible immediatly. And second, the conversation must be ended before the font can be switched and shown. And there would be other disadvantages also like noticing font changes is almost impossible (which is a key in this plugin).

The only benefit from such a plugin would be that you wont be installing fonts manually (as if that's so hard; it takes 2 clicks).

All this considdered, don't get too much high hopes for such a plugin, unless someone here is really really bored to make this. And in that case the plugin won't be as perfect as it should...

PS: above all, I really don't see the practical need for using fonts all the time which nobody has. Almost always these fonts are looking to "crap", "annoying", "overrated", "etc..." and only people with Messenger Plus! AND this plugin will be able to see them after they have waited to download this font. There are hundreds of fonts you can choose from which almost all people have preinstalled on their system, use them...

PSS: note that I'm not saying it is totaly impossible, but it is very hard to do and the result will not be a practical solution for the OP's request.

This post was edited on 04-27-2005 at 12:37 PM by CookieRevised.
04-27-2005 12:32 PM
Twelve-60

35 / Male / –
How about it tells you what font it is, and searches your own computer for the font, and if you do not have it, it says "Transfer font: 'blabla'" and then if you click it, it comes up with an accept/decline option of "$username is requestion the font $font" and sends and installs if accepted...? I skimmed over the posts ^^ didnt see this idea exactly so if someone already said this sorry :)

Twelve-60
07-12-2005 01:37 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
King For A Day

Vince Noir: King Of the Mods

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Simply send the font yourself to your contact. When he recieves it, tell him/her to right click it and select "install font"....

hah i didnt know you could just do that, i usually drag them or just install from the menu bum

[Image: smaller6mh.png]
07-12-2005 04:03 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: