What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Compress Old Files

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Compress Old Files
Author: Message:
Chris.1

addicted to the net

36 / Male / –
RE: Compress Old Files
I've never EVER noticed an increase in speed from doing a disk defrag. If your system is seriously going very slowly, reinstall Windows or consider upgrading hardware components.
05-20-2005 12:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chris.

I've never EVER noticed an increase in speed from doing a disk defrag

well i defraged it yesterday, and acessing folders in the hdd got faster...although, it wont make your pc faster, it helps :P
05-20-2005 12:22 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
uberdosis

digital evil

37 / Male / –
But don't do it to much becaue it can corrupt  your data from moving it around so much. I just format once every mth - 3mths i never defrag. /hugs 10k raptor

This post was edited on 05-20-2005 at 02:53 PM by uberdosis.
[Image: skav.jpg]
05-20-2005 02:52 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by uberdosis
But don't do it to much becaue it can corrupt your data from moving it around so much.
nonsense... If you move data around 1000 times there would be any more errors then when you only move it 1 time.

Although, and this is only in theorie and very nitpicking: every time you move data around there could occur an error. But in practice this is nonsense and above all, defragmenting even helps reducing these theoretical errors because your HDD heads don't have to move around so much anymore after the defrag.

Also, defragmenting moves each data only 2 times at max:
1) move data out of the way so other data can be put first
2) put data back in it's final location

quote:
I've never EVER noticed an increase in speed from doing a disk defrag.
If you don't notice much chances then either you don't use your HDD at full capacity (speed wise), or your system specs are the slowest link in the overall chain, or you don't do much file handline, or your HDD wasn't that fragmented to notice any slowdown.

quote:
If your system is seriously going very slowly, reinstall Windows or consider upgrading hardware components.
Reinstalling Windows is ALWAYS the very very last thing to try. Doing this as a first step is rather stupid and most likely will not make ANY difference (If it does, you aren't comparing the correct things; A clean copy of Windows will ALWAYS run faster then a Windows with other programs/stuff/etc. installed).

But we are seriously going off topic....

And I must say that I still don't understand what Lt.Col.DraGon exactly means as his first post doesn't make much (gramatical and PC logic sense)

what does he mean with "delete compress old files?":
- delete old compressed files?
- compress old files?
- delete old files?
- delete temporary files from compression programs?
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-20-2005 05:32 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
He means deleting old/compressed files (windows can compress them when you don't use em frequently - read as: old files). Asking for an alternative for disk clean up of windows (wich takes too much time in his eyes).

There may be another misunderstanding though, if i'm not mistaken that option in windows disk clean up only compresses those files, not delete them....the space noted behind it is how much (estimated) space it would save. Unless ofcourse a new menu appears inthere when you actually did compress them (i don't use it as it's not much space it saves)?

This post was edited on 05-20-2005 at 08:12 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
05-20-2005 07:01 PM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
There is no other way to clean up the "Compress old files" item. NTFS comes with a file-system based disk compression feature. The "Compress olf files" item you see in Disk Cleanup means that Disk Cleanup will apply the "compress" attribute to files older that a given period (15 days, I think).

It will attempt to do it to system files which are in use as well, and will encounter an error. To give it access to more files, boot into safe mode, and run disk cleanup. On the first access error, pick "Ignore all" and go to sleep, wake up and have a bunch more disk space.

To boot into safe mode, press F8 before Windows starts up, and pick Safe Mode from the selection screen. HINT: If your motherboard allows it, it might be easier to just hold down F8, instead of trying to get the right moment.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
05-21-2005 05:14 AM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: