What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Question about P2P Programs

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Question about P2P Programs
Author: Message:
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
RE: Question about P2P Programs
quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk

i'm positive TV shows are illegal
You are allowed to download them for backup purposes only, but you must own a copy of the original.

quote:
Originally posted by Y2Pdogg
Well I see no sense in having a legal program to download illegal stuff.
It all goes back to the history of the P2P, at first it was just a program just used by a few friends to share their music collection between like 5 or 6 people, not hardcore piracy. But then more people got in the loop, and the idea spread...the result was the infamous "Napster".
Next that was shut down and others took its place. There was no legal "sense" used in their making, everyone (even the authors) knew it would be used for illegal things, but they used the front that even though it can be used for illegal things (if the users want to), it can be used for legal things as well, and the program itself doesn't do the damage, just the user, the user can use the tool for good or bad. It's the same with some hacking tools today; they can be used to correct some errors, or to test server load issues, but many as misused.

The bottom line is, this is just the way the law works. Here in the UK farmers can get a licence to carry a gun, now the gun is allowed to the farmer so that he can use it to keep back predators from his livestock and to kill livestock. Having the gun, for the farmer, is completely legal. But the weapon can be used to do a lot of wrong things!
I know that example is a lot more dramatic than the P2P one; however the principle is the same.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
05-21-2005 06:58 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Question about P2P Programs
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
and the program itself doesn't do the damage

Just stay off the official Kazaa, it has tons of spyware. :dodgy:
[Image: signature.php]
05-21-2005 07:01 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku

quote:
Originally posted by www.kazaa.com/us/privacy/nospyware_policy.htm
The certified Kazaa Media Desktop (KMD) software is provided by Sharman Networks and made available on Kazaa.com and it contains NO spyware

...even with that, I'm still suspicious, tbh. They were known by everyone to have spyware
05-21-2005 07:05 AM
Y2Pdogg

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: Question about P2P Programs
quote:
quote:
Well I see no sense in having a legal program to download illegal stuff.
It all goes back to the history of the P2P, at first it was just a program just used by a few friends to share their music collection between like 5 or 6 people, not hardcore piracy. But then more people got in the loop, and the idea spread...the result was the infamous "Napster".
Next that was shut down and others took its place. There was no legal "sense" used in their making, everyone (even the authors) knew it would be used for illegal things, but they used the front that even though it can be used for illegal things (if the users want to), it can be used for legal things as well, and the program itself doesn't do the damage, just the user, the user can use the tool for good or bad. It's the same with some hacking tools today; they can be used to correct some errors, or to test server load issues, but many as misused.

The bottom line is, this is just the way the law works. Here in the UK farmers can get a licence to carry a gun, now the gun is allowed to the farmer so that he can use it to keep back predators from his livestock and to kill livestock. Having the gun, for the farmer, is completely legal. But the weapon can be used to do a lot of wrong things!
I know that example is a lot more dramatic than the P2P one; however the principle is the same.

Strangly, I actually understand what you're saying.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk

i'm positive TV shows are illegal
You are allowed to download them for backup purposes only, but you must own a copy of the original.

What about copies that you taped using a vcr? :P
05-21-2005 07:06 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:

What about copies that you taped using a vcr? :p
I looked into that, and nor have I found evidence to the contrary on this one.
It states that if you have recorded the TV show, you are allowed to download a copy of it off the internet. I don't know if this count as you are able to download DVD rips (DVD rips are copies of the DVD that have been converted into a PC format) or just a TV taped version of the show. What will be sure is that if you do download it, you are not allowed to download a version with special features included.
05-21-2005 07:14 AM
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Question about P2P Programs
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku

quote:
Originally posted by www.kazaa.com/us/privacy/nospyware_policy.htm
The certified Kazaa Media Desktop (KMD) software is provided by Sharman Networks and made available on Kazaa.com and it contains NO spyware

...even with that, I'm still suspicious, tbh. They were known by everyone to have spyware

I once worked for a computer company one summer... I think we got in at least five (5) computers that were slow/freezing/etc because of Kazaa spyware and they all worked perfectly again after using Ad-Aware. What do we learn?

Kazaa has (or used to have) some kind of spyware or malware.
Some computer users are plain stupid and n00bs.
05-21-2005 07:14 AM
Y2Pdogg

– / Male / –
quote:
quote:

What about copies that you taped using a vcr? :p
I looked into that, and nor have I found evidence to the contrary on this one.
It states that if you have recorded the TV show, you are allowed to download a copy of it off the internet. I don't know if this count as you are able to download DVD rips (DVD rips are copies of the DVD that have been converted into a PC format) or just a TV taped version of the show. What will be sure is that if you do download it, you are not allowed to download a version with special features included.

well hmm..I might could work with that cause the main reason I wanted to know the answer about the videos is because I have alot of tv shows and music videos taped that I would love to find and put on a disc. Limewire is a good P2P correct?
05-21-2005 07:18 AM
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
Speaking of Limewire, what network does Kazaa/-Lite/-Resurrection use? I know Limewire uses Gnutella. It's all about the network really...
05-21-2005 07:23 AM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:

well hmm..I might could work with that cause the main reason I wanted to know the answer about the videos is because I have alot of tv shows and music videos taped that I would love to find and put on a disc.
If you don't mind putting a bit of money onto it, you could get a TV-IN card, and copy the shows and music videaos from VCR to your PC and put it on disk.
05-21-2005 07:24 AM
Y2Pdogg

– / Male / –
quote:
quote:

well hmm..I might could work with that cause the main reason I wanted to know the answer about the videos is because I have alot of tv shows and music videos taped that I would love to find and put on a disc.
If you don't mind putting a bit of money onto it, you could get a TV-IN card, and copy the shows and music videaos from VCR to your PC and put it on disk.

yea I know I can do that but I'm just, you know, looking around to see if I can find a way around putting money down. I'll probably do that eventually anyway...it's just a friend told me about all this P2P stuff and he knows alot about computer but he failed to give me the details I really needed.
05-21-2005 07:26 AM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: