What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Translation » I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation!

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation!
Author: Message:
emit
Disabled Account

RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation!
quote:
Time: Yes you're right; "parenthesis" is perfectly legitimate English. That is to say, it's in the dictionary and can be used in this sense perfectly correctly. However, native speakers of British English colloquially use the word "brackets". As for your comment on my having the wrong viewpoint, well I must tell you that you have entirely misunderstood my point! You somehow inferred that I'm seeing English as inferior! Nothing could be further from the truth. As a proud Englishman, I see English English as the original. The Americans started out by using our language, but now they have changed it so much that it's no longer our language: they have their own version of it. In their country then that is to be respected - their spellings are perfectly correct. But in the UK, we do not wish to be FORCED to use this new version of our language.

Software shouldn't use colloquialisms. Otherwise you'd need a version for every dialect, in every country; do you want to make MsgPlus in Brummy or Liverpudlian too?
American English isn't being forced upon us at all, Microsoft Word and the Windows envirnoment have a UK English option. It is always a choice. Remember not all of the UK speak English as an official language anyway, since devolution Wales has proclaimed Welsh as its official native language. I am sure the Scottish Parliament would love to declare Gaelic as their official language again and even Cornwall, a mere county, has its own language too. I, too, am English and love my language but there is only so far you can thrust that passion upon corporations and the wide world.

M.

This post was edited on 06-16-2005 at 05:36 AM by emit.
06-16-2005 05:35 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
vlio

– / Male / –
RE: RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranl
quote:
Originally posted by eurosong
But in the UK, we do not wish to be FORCED to use this new version of our language.

I think you'd better enjoy the fact that most untranslated things in the world are in your language (or almost your language, if you prefer...), thanks to that new version.
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we (GW Bush)

[Image: vlio.png]
06-16-2005 12:33 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation!
Actually most people are aware of this language as color etc is used in HTML coding. Personally i dont think this is necessary, as it is perfectly understandable to people aware of the English/American/Whatever language
06-16-2005 03:55 PM
sn1p3r

previously known as Abz2k4

35 / Male / –
It is a valid point and i can see where you're coming from eurosong but i don't think it is completely necessary.
The American English already used in Messenger Plus is still understandable, a few words here and there aren't really going to make a differance.

If you do feel strongly about it though and don't know how to go about making your own translation you could try enquiring if anyone could help you out. Anyway good luck (Y)

This post was edited on 06-16-2005 at 04:18 PM by sn1p3r.
[Image: sig20pw.jpg][Image: sn1p3r.png]
06-16-2005 04:18 PM
Fraisie
Former Super Mod

Pixie Dust!

42 / Female / Flag

quote:
Originally posted by Matty

Just navigate to C:\Program Files\MessengerPlus! 3\Resources and play with the DefaultLg.dat.

And as Fraisie said earier, if different dialects were to be included for English, it'd have to happen with most other languages too, most notably, Portugese (as there has been many topics on the dialects of that).

And I wanna add that I'm from the french part of Canada. The french translation is from France, and we live with it quite well, even though our languages are different ;)
So, Fraisie.net is empty atm. I\'m trying to come up with something cool to put on it, and I will!
06-16-2005 04:35 PM
eurosong

O.P. RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsation!
sn1p3r: "A few words here and there" they may be, but still... it's extremely infuriating to be forced to read a bastardised version of my language EVERY day. I can't escape it. 60 million of us can't escape it. The people of Italy, for example, don't have to put up with reading a Mickey Mouse version of their language. Why should we? Just because our language is 99% the same as that of another country whose media want to dominate the world? BAH.

mwe99: Whether or not people can understand it isn't the point. Yes we can understand American. But with that attitude, in a hundred years or so British English will die out, if people just can't be bothered to stand up for it. I already have to suffer hearing my friends say "movie" (American) instead of "film" (British), just because of the influence of the American media :(

Frasie: What differences are there between the French language of Quebec and the French of France? I did not know that there were differences... please would you tell me, because I am fascinated to know!
06-16-2005 05:25 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: I would like to offer my services to the MSG Plus people for an ENGLISH tranlsati
[offtopic]
quote:
Originally posted by Fraisie
And I wanna add that I'm from the french part of Canada.

Wow me too! What town are you in> [/offtopic]

I am french natively and I also go to english school. The english we use is like yours [color to us is colour] but we live with it. I suggest that if you abosolutely want to make an msg plus in your native language with a FEW changes then go ahead...ask for help..but please dont complain.

EDIT: and there are alot of differences with the french quebec and the french from france. Even our swear words are different:P We serve and even bigger percentage of difference with french quebec and french france then with Britsh english and american english. our language is almost 70% different but we are not complaining because we can live with it

This post was edited on 06-16-2005 at 06:16 PM by Lou.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
06-16-2005 06:13 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Fraisie
If we start doing this, we would have two french versions (France and Canadian french), two portuguese,... I can understand your point, but I dont think it is needed :)

This would be the most worked on one becuase in quabec (where patchou and frasie live) their french is a bit different e.g. numbers. This is the same for other languages :P
06-16-2005 06:54 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by eurosong
What differences are there between the French language of Quebec and the French of France? I did not know that there were differences... please would you tell me, because I am fascinated to know!
afaik, there differences are similar in quanity and style to that of the American and British versions of English.
Tbh, I don't care about this idea that much, I'm from Britain, and yeah it's easier to read something in the British dialect than the USA, however I don't see a need for it right now. In the long term it's a decent idea though
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
06-16-2005 07:23 PM
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
This would be the most worked on one becuase in quabec
no offense but its quebec......maybe and probably just a typo.....

[end of my offtopic]
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
06-17-2005 12:36 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: