What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself!

Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself!
Author: Message:
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
O.P. Grin  All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself!
quote:
Taking regular showers could pose a health risk and even result in permanent brain damage, it has been claimed.

Scientists believe that breathing in small amounts of manganese dissolved in the water may harm the nervous system.

The damage may occur even at levels of the naturally occurring metal normally considered safe, say the US researchers.

Although manganese levels in public water supplies are monitored, regulators have not considered the long-term effects of inhaling vaporised manganese while showering, they claim.

Dr John Spangler, from Wake Forest University School of Medicine in Winston-Salem, New Carolina, who led the study, said: "If our results are confirmed, they could have profound implications for the nation and the world.

"Nearly nine million people in the United States are exposed to manganese levels that our study shows may cause toxic effects.

"Inhaling manganese, rather than eating or drinking it, is far more efficient at delivering manganese to the brain. The nerve cells involved in smell are a direct pathway for toxins to enter the brain. Once inside these small nerves, manganese can travel throughout the brain."

Dr Spangler's team calculated from animal studies the amount of manganese people would absorb by showering for 10 minutes a day.

After 10 years of showering in manganese-contaminated water, children would be exposed to levels of the metal three times higher than the doses needed to leave deposits in rats' brains, the researchers found.

Adults with a longer history of showering could be exposed to doses 50% higher. Children, pregnant women, the elderly and patients with liver disease were at the highest risk from manganese.

Source

:lol:

So let's see.

I can't drink beer, eat swordfish, eat tuna, eat at McDonald's, take a shower, drive my car or walk down the street downtown because they all cause health risks?

So when will there be a study showing that blinking has health risks?
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
07-05-2005 04:56 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
RE: All you clean freaks rejoice! You're slowly killing yourself!
whats this about tuna and swordfish?

What about cigarettes :gfdrin:
07-05-2005 05:02 PM
King For A Day

Vince Noir: King Of the Mods

35 / Male / –
i have an i dea lets avoid this problem and not wash or drink or eat and then see where we all end up ^o)
07-05-2005 05:04 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by .blade//
I can't drink beer, eat swordfish, eat tuna, eat at McDonald's, take a shower, drive my car or walk down the street downtown because they all cause health risks? So when will there be a study showing that blinking has health risks?
lol, I think they finally are saying being a nerd is the most healthy thing to do :D

* CookieRevised orders his own glas/plastic container to live in :D

:banana:

hm wait, I can still twist my finger on the keyboard :(

-----------

On a serious note, such studies are nice to read, although it has to be said that many other things have a lot higher risk factor then something like this. Eg: the air you breath outdoors in a normal city will contain thousands more toxics then the air you breath in a shower. A pregnant woman or child will be at much more risk when they walk into a bar filled with smoke, than taking a shower for 10m everyday...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-05-2005 05:06 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Eljay
Elite Member

:O

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
lol, I think they finally are saying being a nerd is the most healthy thing to do

lol woooo, nerds will be the one and only remaining human race 8-|
07-05-2005 05:28 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
I'd think the risk of slipping in the shower would be worse, nothing will come of this, people have showered for years and lived.

quote:
Originally posted by Lee Jeffery
lol woooo, nerds will be the one and only remaining human race 8-|

A world where wars are waged over which was the best Captain of the Enterprise :cheesy:
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
07-05-2005 06:26 PM
Tasha

31 / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by King For A Day
i have an i dea lets avoid this problem and not wash or drink or eat and then see where we all end up ^o)

:rofl:

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
I'd think the risk of slipping in the shower would be worse, nothing will come of this, people have showered for years and lived.

Indeed.

Anyway, the quote only said that the scientists "believe" and that it "may" harm you, where's the fact? :happy:
www.mycutelobster.co.uk
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry,
but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
07-05-2005 06:42 PM
haydos
Veteran Member

dirty dirty house music

– / Male / Flag
quote:
A world where wars are waged over which was the best Captain of the Enterprise :cheesy:
I have never been so scared in my whole life than after what you just said :|

:P
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
don't be lazy
[Image: gayspam.gif]

07-05-2005 06:44 PM
SikStyles

DeathCult

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
I'd think the risk of slipping in the shower would be worse

yea true that..hurts like a bitch ¬¬

and without showering we get dirty, germs are gonna live on us, we get sick and we die..think if some really supertitious person believe's this and wont shower :S there might be coming a new sickness or sometin

anyway they keep on finding bad stuff about life and risky things..no good stuff..everything is bad..fried foods, shower, i even heard that bread was bad :|
then soon they are going to say "the university of bla bla bla has discovered that being alive is very risky. Scientist prove that you are  in a risk everyday. Die and you will be safe!, dont go outside and dont shower and dont eat shitty food and dont drink water..just sit there and you will be safe!, tests show that being dead is 99% safer than being alive, the 1% is maggots eating your body but that is only 1% so that we can bare, so go ahead and take ur family to a better,safer place"

anyway i keep showering and ignoring this silly experiment that they have come up with, maybe they need to get themselves checked..doing so many researches with the manganese has drove their braincells crazy...
You're still breathing? Why?
Get off the cross, the wood is needed.
[Image: userbar.jpg]

07-05-2005 07:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
DJeX
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly
whats this about tuna and swordfish?

Tuna and Swordfish have small amounts of mercury in them. That’s why you should never eat 5 tones one tuna in one sitting or you will die of mercury poisoning.
[Image: top.gif]
07-05-2005 08:35 PM
Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: