What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Archive » Petition to save Messenger Plus!

Pages: (29): « First « 17 18 19 20 [ 21 ] 22 23 24 25 » Last »
Petition to save Messenger Plus!
Author: Message:
uberdosis

digital evil

37 / Male / –
RE: Petition to save Messenger Plus!
BURN HIM!!!

Signed....
[Image: skav.jpg]
08-24-2005 01:28 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Shaggie
The fact that you DELETED MY THREAD makes me feel a little less welcome, and that you believe that your point is the only one that counts.

Besides the small point about the double posting, which is almost never justified,

the reason why it was removed is because it isn't so wise that 20000 people start to mail MSAS out of the blue.

As we all know, not everybody can write decent formal mails like it is required in this case. Also mailing it to the wrong department, or even using the wrong mail form from their site can cause the opposite effect.

It is far better to compile everything together and that only 1 person sends it. This also reduces the huge amount of overhead that the mail department would otherwise recieve, again, resulting in the opposite effect...

Also, not everybody is willing to compose a decent mail with a big formal explanation, fill out all the required fields and send it like that. On the other hand, much more people are willing to fill out a simply mailing form as shown in the petition.

And, as said, not everybody (as you can read from several posts and on several forums) can tell in the correct words what this is about or do it in a decent manner either.

A petition is a much better way in such cases.

Thus the post was removed (although you meant it well) because of the above... posts will never be removed for no reason and certainly not because the poster has a different opinion or something like that, there is always a grounded reason behind it...

to sum up:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaggie
First of all I totally disagree that it would be no use.  Who do you think the antispyware team would be more likely to listen to,  it's users or one person who sends a list with people's names on it (with comments).
They would rather listen to 1 person who gathered a petition in a professional way, then reading 20000 random mails, as the later can be seen as pestering and mass spamming....

This is also how most companies would react...

;)

This post was edited on 08-24-2005 at 02:09 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-24-2005 01:59 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
god, patchou, take a picture of all teh boxes you send before you send them, i want to see it:P
[Image: sig/]
I'll never forget what she said 6643 days, 2 hours, 27 minutes, 53 seconds ago
Need hosting? Check
out my website. we can help you out :)
08-24-2005 02:11 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
god, patchou, take a picture of all teh boxes you send before you send them, i want to see it:P
not sure but I think he said he would:D

EDIT:

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Yes, I will, just give me some time lol :).
Already 2,000 signatures... not bad for a 12 hours period. That's gonna be some big bags of letters (I'll post pics of course).
:refuck:

This post was edited on 08-24-2005 at 02:33 AM by Lou.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
08-24-2005 02:25 AM
pisces866

58 / Male / –
Signed.
08-24-2005 03:07 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
T-PO

– / Male / Flag
Signed!
08-24-2005 05:16 PM
guanako
Veteran Member

ALbert0

37 / Male / Flag
so when is the signing period gonn stop so they can send?
[Image: guanako20.png]
08-24-2005 05:17 PM
AlohaSlick

After Patchou's many years of hard work on the BEST Instant Messaging addon available anywhere, I understand why many are frustrated by Microsoft's classification of Messenger Plus as spyware is upsetting to so many.  I first noticed this anomaly when Microsoft's initial Beta of its antispyware client listed Plus as a "software bundler." Software bundling is one of the technical categories of spyware.  I decided I didn't like Microsoft Antispyware for a number of reasons and switched to Webroot Spy Sweeper, with which I am much happier (I got what I paid for).  But the fact remains Plus IS a software bundler.  Even if one elects not to install the sponsored addons, Plus still bundles everything from games to plugins with Microsoft's proprietary Instant Messenger, without permission or license from Microsoft.  Like it or not, software bundling is becoming part of the industry standard for classifying spyware.  Based on its actions in the past I think it is highly doubtful Microsoft would reverse its position.  A more successful strategy might perhaps be to find methods of avoiding the "software bundler" designation.  Although I'm certain many would disapprove, changing Plus from freeware to mandatory shareware might be a step in the right direction.  This would permit dropping the sponsored install option without denying Patchou the revenue his work justly merits.  From the discussion thus far, it appears Microsoft has made up its mind.  Fighting the giant from Redmond is like trying to shoot down a jet fighter with a pea shooter. What we need to do is find a "workaround" that will satisfy Microsoft without denying Patchou income from his labor.  I don't like paying for things that were once free of charge any more than anyone else. Speaking for myself only, I would much prefer paying a shareware fee to purchase Plus than risking loss of this superb addon to Mr. Gates and his greedy ghouls.
08-25-2005 12:17 AM
Guido
Elite Member

Design is Safety

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by AlohaSlick
Plus still bundles everything from games to plugins with Microsoft's proprietary Instant Messenger, without permission or license from Microsoft
Huh? Whatever you mean, The Plus! installer is an adware bundler indeed and no one is questioning that.

Plus, the problem is not Plus being catalogued as an adware bundler. You should read the petition carefully because it explains it well, but I'll summarize it anyway: MSAS detects the Msgplus.exe executable as an important risk every time you boot your computer, and if you tell it to remove it MSAS leaves you WITH the adware and without any way to remove it (it just deletes Plus without removing the actual problem). Let alone that it detects Plus even when there is absolutely no adware in the computer because the user chose not to install the sponsor.
08-25-2005 12:32 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
AlohaSlick

Guido, you are ABSOLUTLEY correct. Now let's get down into the real world and try to solve a problem.  Microsoft has no particular interest in giving us tools to remove adware. It is in business to make money. Until we understand this is NOT about what is fair or just but rather who is in control, Mr. Gates and his cohorts are likely to prevail and Plus is likely to be relegated to the junk heep of great things that stepped on the giant's toes and suffered the inevitable consequences.
08-25-2005 12:43 AM
Pages: (29): « First « 17 18 19 20 [ 21 ] 22 23 24 25 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: