What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Login problems / MSN 7.5.0299 / Custom name(s)

Login problems / MSN 7.5.0299 / Custom name(s)
Author: Message:
GoGoHaRrY

O.P. Login problems / MSN 7.5.0299 / Custom name(s)
A time ago I added myself to my own contact-list, and gave myself a custom name "myself", later I removed myself from my own contact-list.

I never had problems with this until I installed MSN 7.5.0299, with this new version it looks like MSGplus overwrites my e-mailadress with the custom name I once set. This causes the problem MSN cannot sign in.

When I kill the "MSGPlus" process there is no sign-in problem, and my e-mailadress at the login prompt isn't overwritten by the custom name I once specified. And the login works again, without teh MSGplus program running.

I'm using Messenger Plus! 3.54.132.
08-24-2005 09:32 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
RE: Login problems / MSN 7.5.0299 / Custom name(s)
Bug confirmed
quote:
Messenger Client Version: 7.5.0299
Messenger Plus! Version: 3.54.0132
08-24-2005 10:49 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
This is because Messenger 7.5 didn't exist when Plus! 3.50 was released. This will be fixed in Plus! 3.60, I assure you.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
08-26-2005 03:35 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
chrisrowe

Using custom names and adding yourself to your contacts is why. When signing in with 7.5.0299, Plus attempts to customize your email address to your custom name just before its sent off to login, thus you cannot login as it not your email being sent.

Few ways round this.
- Disable Custom Names
- Disable Plus sign in, then boot plus (can be tricky)
- Alter your custom name to your email address
- Remove yourself from your contacts!

Those having difficulty logging on to delete themselves, go into task manager and kill both msnmsgr.exe and MsgPlus.exe then reload MSN and sign in. If Plus is still enabled then you need to go to prefrences > general options > Misc, and alter the way Plus loads to Default then repeat.

Its come to my attention that although after deleting yourself from your contacts list your settings are still saved and thus your name will still be altered. To delete these setting you have to tinker with the registry which i dont advise unless you know what your doin. Unfortunately there is no set key to delete as the key is genertated from what appears to be a hash of your email so the best thing to do is tap down to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2\<YOUR EMAIL>\Contacts"  in regedit (Start > Run > regedit) then hit ctrl F and type in your custom name you had assigned in Plus, tick match whole string only and find it, this should highlight your custom name string. just delete that one registry entry. Kill plus and msn and boot as normal.

Sorry for the long windedness and perhaps lack of clarity.
Hope this helps people.

Please reply again if not or for help

Cheers, Chris
08-27-2005 11:48 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by chrisrowe
Kill plus and msn and boot as normal.
You may not even need to do that, though it won't hurt to do so.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
08-29-2005 04:03 PM
Cjwipstar

36 / Male / –
There is another way to get around this:

1) Attempt to login as per usual, but make sure to tick the boxes to remember username and password, Plus! will add the custom name and the login will fail.
2) Close the main MSN Messenger window.
3) Right-Click on the system tray icon, and go to 'Sign in as <your e-mail>'.

As long as the main window isn't open Plus! cannot replace your e-mail address with your custom name.

<~[Cjwipstar]~>

[edit]
This bug only occurs when the previous person to login (usually yourself) has had you as a custom name, as some people add themselves to their account and give themselves a custom name i.e. "Main Account" they can cause themselves login problems.
[/edit]

This post was edited on 09-07-2005 at 09:15 AM by Cjwipstar.
09-03-2005 12:36 PM
joao267

I think the problem is not all in custom names, Because I had  it on  and I don't have any problem.  But When my sister sigh in she activate the custom names and put colors on it. And when I tried to sign in with my mail, It gives an error. So i sigh in with her mail and I took the colors of the custom names. After that I sign in without problems

(Sorry bad english)
09-05-2005 01:34 AM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
This bug will be fixed in version 3.60 :).
[Image: signature2.gif]
09-05-2005 02:53 AM
Th3rmal
Veteran Member

Peek-a-boo! I see you!!

32 / Male / Flag
right now i cant sign in and i hav the all of the "symptoms" named above, but this is the first time that this has happened to me so im not sure y this has happened. until now i havnt had any problems with signing in
You have the intellect comparable to that of a rock. Be proud.
09-07-2005 08:30 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
darknezz

It's an annoying bug but i found the best way around it was to go into plus options before signing into msn. Turn off all custom name options, then sign in. After signing in, turn on all custom names and walla, problem fixed (for the time you are online anyway) :)
09-07-2005 10:32 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: