What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Why is bitorent so slow?

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Why is bitorent so slow?
Author: Message:
evil_panda

Ahhhh...Rupert

34 / Male / –
RE: Why is bitorent so slow?
Bit- torrent is difinitly a fast downloading system but sometimes it can get on your nervs when it always says "more sources needed" i hate that i also use azureus btw its really good althought abc bittorent was also good :P
[Image: sig.jpg]
09-29-2005 02:10 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Stigmata
Veteran Member

20 / Other / Flag
you could be using other programs that hog the interweb.

:)

09-29-2005 02:13 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
spokes

I <3 Rollerblading

33 / Male / Flag
i usually get about 70KBps if i'm lucky, I'm using ABC, used to use BitTornado

[Image: sig15ws.png]
09-29-2005 03:22 PM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
It's not BitTorrent that's slow, its the actual torrent you have. If someone on dialup is the only seeder and 1000 people at 0% are download a file from them, it will be unbearably slow. If there are lots of peple contributing a good upload speed to the whole torrent, it will be faster.

If you look, you might find another torrent of the same thing, but this one might have many more seeders, and thus be faster.

Like some people have suggestes, limit your upload to about 80% of your theoritical max of your connection. I'm in 512/128 ADSL, so my theoretical max upload speed is 16 KB/s. 80% of that is 12.8 KB/s. You chould experiment with that value a bit. I get best performance at that setting usually, but when I use a torrent with lots of peers connected to me, I sometimes drop it doen to 10 or 9 KB/s.

Just remeber once you've finished that you didn't enjoy the slow speed and seed the torrent for others.

BTW about the program you are downloading, there is a final out (not beta like you have), and this one is a properly packed one, but about twice the size. Being better it is probably more popular and faster.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
09-30-2005 12:29 AM
YottabyteWizard

36 / Male / Flag
Firewalls are almost the painful problem, check your program for the ports it uses. By default Azureus use the port 6881, BitTornado and some other bitorrent clients use a random port between 10000-60000 or something like that just as vincerooney said. Keep in mind you have to enable the ports in Windows Firewall (iof you have it enalbed) and your router (if you have one and is enabled).

The other main problem has been discused in the above posts so I'll just add it to the list: Lot of leechers and few seeders.
09-30-2005 06:28 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
Since were talking about Bittorrent slow im wondering. I have port forwarded my bittorrent and my downloads are at usually 300kb/s but why does it takke all my bandwith becuase i have 3mb/s ???
10-01-2005 05:41 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
expert

Im back

31 / Male / –
RE: RE: Why is bitorent so slow?
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
becuase i have 3mb/s ???

wow mines 100:|
[Image: bar9sk.jpg]
10-01-2005 05:54 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
ok well your connection probably isent 100 just your card is. I have a 55mb one.

But our actual rogers plan is 11mb but divide that into 4 computers with wireless adapter

12(around)

so ya :)
10-01-2005 05:58 PM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Why is bitorent so slow?
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
Since were talking about Bittorrent slow im wondering. I have port forwarded my bittorrent and my downloads are at usually 300kb/s but why does it takke all my bandwith becuase i have 3mb/s ???

I'll assume that you neglected to type the units properly, or you didn't know the difference.

3 Mbps means 3 megabits per second, and is the same as 384 KB/s, which means 384 kilobytes per second.

If you are utilising 300 KB/s out of a theoretical maximum of 384 KB/s, you're doing good IMO. BitTorrent uses more overhead information than HTTP. The overhead is data sent over a connection which isn't the file you are transferring, including TCP ack packets, and in BitTorrent's case, requests for pieces.

A BitTorrent download is split into virtual pieces of equal size when the torrent is created. The size of each piece is set by the creator, but would generally be 2 MB for larger torrents. In smaller torrents (10 MB) it would make more sense to use a piece such as 64 KB. Clients will use these pieces to identify parts of the file, and will usually download the rarest parts that they don't have first.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
10-01-2005 11:33 PM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
yeah sorry i did it wrong, That explains it. Thanks :)
10-01-2005 11:42 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: