What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Possible way to handle sponsor issues...

Possible way to handle sponsor issues...
Author: Message:
Delox

– / Male / –
O.P. Possible way to handle sponsor issues...
When friends come over and see how I have MSN Messenger set up using Messenger Plus! and StuffPlug NG, the first thing they always as is, "How can I make MSN look like that?" I usually reply with, "Well, go to http://messenger.msn.com and install messenger. Then go to http://www.msgnplus.net and install Messenger Plus! but when you do this, be very, very careful. Read every screen, and when you reach the sponsor, make absolutely sure you select the option that says 'refuse,' or else you will get some stuff on your computer you may not want."

I was thinking about this, and thought, "How many people actually install the sponsor?" I'm willing to bet is it a minority of users. This then led into, "So why is it even in the installer?"

To the novice user, no matter how you phrase it, seeing the word "refuse" in an installer makes them believe that they must accept for the program to install. No matter how much documentation there is around it, that is the default presumption.

This lead me into thinking, "Is there maybe a better way to handle this?" and then it came to me: package the installer and sponsor completely separately, and just add a link to the sponsor package, or a checkbox (not a radio button, because that implies either/or), and label it "Install the Sponsor Package (OPTIONAL)" or some similar name. This would make it far less confusing for users, as they have seen similar options in other installers such as the one for MSN Messenger.

A simple interface change such as that would make the inclusion of the sponsor program a much less controversial issue, and would make it nearly completely clear to most users that it is optional, and they only need to install it if they WANT to.

Just my thoughts;
Delox
10-04-2005 08:47 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
LittleK

Wo0p-Wo0p..

34 / Female / –
RE: Possible way to handle sponsor issues...
To be honest with you, people who use messenger plus! must have an idea about computers to even get to the download page, and must have an idea about msn messenger to use msg plus! so reading where it says "install without sponsor program" isnt rocket science. This has been bought up so many times, i dont think its going to be changed mate, just ask your friends to read what theyre download before they click :P (which they should anyway)

Cant blame Patchou for peoples reading skills :P

This post was edited on 10-04-2005 at 10:19 PM by LittleK.
[Image: style3,LittleK.png]
10-04-2005 10:16 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by LittleK
Cant blame Patchou for peoples reading skills :P

Second That, but his idea may have some potential.
[Image: 1-0.png]

10-04-2005 10:21 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
:|

....?

Have you seen the new installer??

There is NOT a clearer way to say: this program has an optional sponsor.

The idea is that Patchou earns money and this program is kept free, otherwise why would he include it? 8-)

Also, you never know when someone actually wants that toolbar in their IE...

Edit: and this is no suck-up. Several other programs come with bundled software with less indications, but I still take my time to review the screens and the text... :-/

This post was edited on 10-05-2005 at 12:12 AM by L. Coyote.

Hack, hack, hack!
Finally became a Systems Analyst! :spam:

10-04-2005 10:43 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
I think the way Patchou made it for Msg Plus 3.60 is perfect... No changes needed.
10-04-2005 11:23 PM
mwe99
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
Actually quite a high number of Plus! forum members install the sponser to help Patchou. If he wants to charge he can easily charge for the progam... but he doesn't cos he's great [/suckup]

The only way people will notice it is if you flash the screen and use riduculous sized text.... which is just stupid.. so READ what you're installing...
10-04-2005 11:23 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: