What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » .mp3 and .wma icons changed

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
.mp3 and .wma icons changed
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: .mp3 and .wma icons changed
quote:
Originally posted by Rubber Stamp
icons are always a prob. my html files show up wid the "unknown filetype" icon. which i really hate. try setting the default icon through a program like stylexp or icon packager
Icons are shown because of the file associations. You don't need any program to set icons, and especially not a styling program which has got nothing to do with file associations...

The reason why the html files have a "unknown filetype" icon is because:
- they aren't associated with any program
- the program they are associated with doesn't have an icon (extremely remote)
- You (or a crappy program) has removed the icon from the file association properties...

To fix this you need to either associate html files with a program or re-set the icon for the html file type. You do this in Windows Explorer > Tools > Options > File Types, find the file type, select it, click on advanced.

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
It means you might have a virus. It happened to a friend of mine before. I believe it was LoveLetter that did it. All of the mp3's were hidden, and the file was replaced with a copy of the virus with the same name of the mp3. So every time you went to play the song, oops! you just execute the virus again...
an mp3 can not contain a virus; It is not an executable format.

The icons didn't change either. The virus simple added _another_ file with the extension VBS, (not mp3). Vbs is the extention for VBScripts and are executables and of course has a different icon. So the virus didn't change the icons at all.

quote:
Originally posted by Rubber Stamp
manually change them then..use something like DESKTOP ARCHITECT

as said, you don't need any 3rd party program at all.

quote:
Originally posted by Blair
have you tried repairing the icon cache? very long link
good luck...
That is for default system icons like the ones used on special folders like "My Computer"...

PS: Please if you post long links, shorten them and use the proper [URL=http://xxxxx]yyyy[/URL] syntax... Long links like that mess up the decent view of a thread.

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
Also, if the icon have been changed in appearance, but it is still the same icon being shown, just now modified, not a different icon, reinstalling Windows Media Player and/or Windows might restore them.
If you mean that they are kind of pixelated, then you don't need to reinstall anything (and certainly not the entire Windows OS). Instead change your colorsettings to the correct bit height (eg: 24bit or 32bit instead of 16 or 256 colors)

-----------------

Reaper's problem is simply a question of file associations, nothing else. He installed some program which automatically assigned itself as the default program for the media files. Or he accidently re-associated the old Windows Media Payer as his default media player.

He can fix this by re-associating (the new) WMP to his media file types as describe earlier. Or manually fix this for each type by going to Windows Explorer > Tools > Options > File Types, find the file type, select it, click on advanced, and setting the appropiate fields.

This post was edited on 10-12-2005 at 09:48 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-12-2005 09:43 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: .mp3 and .wma icons changed
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
It means you might have a virus. It happened to a friend of mine before. I believe it was LoveLetter that did it. All of the mp3's were hidden, and the file was replaced with a copy of the virus with the same name of the mp3. So every time you went to play the song, oops! you just execute the virus again...
an mp3 can not contain a virus; It is not an executable format.

The icons didn't change either. The virus simple added _another_ file with the extension VBS, (not mp3). Vbs is the extention for VBScripts and are executables and of course has a different icon. So the virus didn't change the icons at all.
What MeEtc posted is completely correct and perfectly relevant. It is possible that the mp3 files are no longer shown (having being deleted, marked as hidden or system), and executables with the same name are now shown there. If this is the case, which is unlikely, these executables have their first icon set as one which is intended to imitate that of an audio file.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Blair
have you tried repairing the icon cache? very long link
good luck...
That is for default system icons like the ones used on special folders like "My Computer"...

The icon cache is used for all icons, regardless of their location or usage.

quote:
quote:
Also, if the icon have been changed in appearance, but it is still the same icon being shown, just now modified, not a different icon, reinstalling Windows Media Player and/or Windows might restore them.
If you mean that they are kind of pixelated, then you don't need to reinstall anything (and certainly not the entire Windows OS). Instead change your colorsettings to the correct bit height (eg: 24bit or 32bit instead of 16 or 256 colors)
I meant reinstalling might restore icons which have been modified, not anything concerning display colours.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
10-12-2005 10:33 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: RE: .mp3 and .wma icons changed
quote:
What MeEtc posted is completely correct and perfectly relevant. It is possible that the mp3 files are no longer shown (having being deleted, marked as hidden or system), and executables with the same name are now shown there. (...)
No it isn't...
Reaper's problem is clearly that the icons have _changed_ and in that context what MeEtc posted isn't the way it happens. If icons of MP3's are "changed" to the icons of VBS's, it doesn't mean that the virus changed the mp3 file, nor that the icon is replaced, it means that there are addional or other files with the same file name but with a _different_ extension (vbs) and thus also with a different icon (the icon for vbscripts). Mp3's can't be run as executables and can't contain virusses.
quote:
(...) these executables have their first icon set as one which is intended to imitate that of an audio file.
And even then, those virusses did not modify/change any icon of the media file types at all.

In either way, the media file icons aren't touched at all...

quote:
I meant reinstalling might restore icons which have been modified, not anything concerning display colours.
You mentionned that the icons are still the same picture, only they seem to be "modified" a bit. And that is a common issue with icons. To solve this you don't need to reinstall anything, only to re-set your display settings.

But yes, reinstalling Windows and all your programs might solve it. Buying a new computer might solve it too...

This post was edited on 10-12-2005 at 10:58 AM by CookieRevised.
10-12-2005 10:50 AM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
Icons Possibly Patched
quote:
quote:
You mentionned that the icons are still the same picture, only they seem to be "modified" a bit. And that is a common issue with icons. To solve this you don't need to reinstall anything, only to re-set your display settings.

But yes, reinstalling Windows and all your programs might solve it. Buying a new computer might solve it too...

I never said that the icons were the same picture. I said that the same icon was used, but that icon was modified. Not using a GUI would sovle the problem as well, just like that sarcasm was unnecessary. Adjusting display setting will not change Windows Media Player files. Windows Media Player normally provides the icon resources for audio files that are shown in the first post. I recomended reinstalling it, and as a second step, if the first was unsuccessful, reinstalling Windows, which geneally contains Windows Media Player.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
10-12-2005 12:17 PM
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: .mp3 and .wma icons changed
well, tried everything mentioned :|
its not gettin me anywhere unfortunately.
i have reassociated the files with another player, then changed them back but they change to those icons again. its almost as if the default WMP icon are those shown in my screenshot

[Edit] the "Icon" folder in my windows media player folder (in program files) has nothing in it? could that be anything to do with it?

This post was edited on 10-12-2005 at 06:39 PM by Reaper.
10-12-2005 06:38 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
hmaster

33 / Male / Flag
RE: .mp3 and .wma icons changed
I dont have an icon folder.

Download Iconpackager and open it and go to Icons and cursors. Find .mp3/.wma and click restore default, prob wont work but its worth a try ?
[Image: sig.png]
10-12-2005 06:59 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by hmaster
I dont have an icon folder.

Download Iconpackager and open it and go to Icons and cursors. Find .mp3/.wma and click restore default, prob wont work but its worth a try ?
i did that with style xp tho. resetted to default. then changed to another, then back to default again.
still no change

[Edit] fixed it. apparently, the computer opened a .dll file to get the icons, so i used tune up utilities styler to change it back. thanks for everyones posts :)

This post was edited on 10-12-2005 at 08:46 PM by Reaper.
10-12-2005 07:01 PM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: .mp3 and .wma icons changed
quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
changed them back but they change to those icons again. its almost as if the default WMP icon are those shown in my screenshot
Did you reinstall Wndows Media Player? I am leaning more towards my previous suspicion that the correct icons are being shown, but have been modified. The icon which you labelled "default" in your diagram is in wmplayer.exe, the main executable of Windows Media Player.

In case reinstalling Windows Media Player doesn't work, you can try using the wmplayer.exe from my computer, it's attached to this reply.

quote:
the "Icon" folder in my windows media player folder (in program files) has nothing in it? could that be anything to do with it?

That has nothing to do with it :).

.exe File Attachment: wmplayer.exe (72 KB)
This file has been downloaded 129 time(s).

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

10-12-2005 09:22 PM
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:

[Edit] fixed it. apparently, the computer opened a .dll file to get the icons, so i used tune up utilities styler to change it back. thanks for everyones posts :)
10-12-2005 10:20 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: .mp3 and .wma icons changed
quote:
Not using a GUI would sovle the problem as well, just like that sarcasm was unnecessary.
Maybe it was unnecessary and uncalled for, but your suggestion of reinstalling Windows was also unnecessary. In 99,999999999999% of all problems reinstalling Windows is never a true solution. It is suggested by people who don't know the real issue or how to solve something in the proper way

(sorry for the, again, rude talk maybe; it isn't meant personally. But lately I've seen more than enough "reinstall windows" suggestions)...

quote:
Adjusting display setting will not change Windows Media Player files. Windows Media Player normally provides the icon resources for audio files that are shown in the first post.
No, adjusting the color settings will not "change" the icons (from a house to a cat), but it will change the resolution and color depth used for those icons. An icon (and certainly those associated with many Windows files and programs) actually can contain multiple icons of different sizes and color depths. Windows will always automatically choose the icon which fits the current used display settings.

People who report that their icons didn't change (as in: it is still a house that is displaying, not a cat), but that they seem a bit strange, pixelated, or full of 'random' pixels (thus appearance of the house has been changed) have often adjusted their display settings (by accident) or have used a program which altered the color depth... This is the number one problem in icon troubles.

Thus, if you said that the icon changed in appearance, but it is still the same icon, then it is logical that this is intepreted as what I said...
quote:

And thus reinstalling anything will not help at all, the icon will still be shown in a lower color depth.

---------------

quote:
Thus, as people have said in the very beginning of this thread and which I repeated after the "virus" talk and what not: a simply association problem...

TuneUp Styler simply sets/assign an icon for a program/file. It does exactly the same as: Windows Explorer > Tools > Options > File Types > select file type > Advanced > Set Icon, Set default action, etc...

This post was edited on 10-12-2005 at 10:51 PM by CookieRevised.
10-12-2005 10:50 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: