What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Official Msgplus Chat Channel?

Pages: (9): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 8 » Last »
Official Msgplus Chat Channel?
Author: Message:
emit
Disabled Account

RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel?
IRC has guidelines, if anything. Read the motd (type /motd). That's a basic, very basic, guideline.

quote:
there's no need for a chat channel, people should go to irc to ask for help  there are thousands of other channels to chat about life

You would disallow all channels except for #msgplus on the server? That's a complete waste of an ircd. Might as well move the channel to a big network such as EFnet or Undernet then. That would certainly make more sense. You're wanting to turn that whole server into a helpdesk thing where people are on duty, working 9-5 days for the sole purpose of help. I'm sorry but even in the workplace people chat. That's, in essence, what #banana is for. The fact that some of the members in #banana never help in #msgplus is solely their choice. There may be thousands of other channels on IRC to chat about life in, but #banana is the channel on the MsgPlus server for that, I do not see why people cannot accept that.

quote:
That's what i said... it would dispower the forums...

How does 30 of the community regulars chatting on IRC dispower the forums? How does 30 people in a mass MSN convo dispower the forums? I'm sorry, but that doesn't make sense to me.

quote:
I'm not trying to kerb the fun that can be had in IRC, but if you are going to flame people and stuff (which is no bad thing), do it from a non-op account.

Becoming an op on IRC doesn't mean you have to be all sugary sweet and nice all of a sudden. Being an op is about respect and competence; the channel owner respects you enough to give you access to be an op and trusts you have the competence to ban people who are behaving in a lame way on the channel - be it a regular or a newcomer. Just because you suddenly have an @ before your nick doesn't mean you have to stop swearing. Heh.

I've mentioned it before, but everyone should read this:
http://www.order.efnet.net/terms.html
I know it's a boring TOS but the ethics behind the wording and content sum up IRC very well.
11-02-2005 09:15 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
saralk
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Time
Becoming an op on IRC doesn't mean you have to be all sugary sweet and nice all of a sudden.

i'm not saying that, but being an Op puts you in a position of responsibility, and for someone who doesn't know much about IRC, an Op would seem like a member of staff.

And if you went into a restaurant and the waiter started swearing at you, laughing at you and then kicked you out of the restaurant because you complained, what impression would that give of the resaurant?

Messenger Plus! gives the impression of a proffessional company (which it is), and the Ops should try and uphold that.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
11-02-2005 09:22 PM
Facta

...come se sia l'ultima volta....

34 / – / –
quote:
Originally posted by Johny
Are you saying i spam?

i dindnt... i said I dont spam.and i never said chrono is a spammer
11-02-2005 09:25 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
kittymew

Bitten By A snowball in hell!

– / Female / –
I been reading that its ok to flame and be nasty to people ,people should handle it etc etc

But if you go to 95% of “chats” that actually work and have people stay and enjoy you need “rules”You cannot survive in any sort of community without them..Tis why chatrooms have rules..because things can get out of hand.sure not everyone can get along but there are ways of debating isuues without being personal..

You don’t abuse or disrespect people in “life” without repercussions..its plain and simple..tis why IRC needs to be “policed” so everyone can have fun..Not just the alpha’s.

On the internet rules also stand forth, many legal ramifications of ones actions have co-ersed many into seeking legal actions against ones who are deframing peoples characters.Whats illegal or unacceptable in society are also unacceptable online..

Most “chatting medians”online have a simple set of rules..and My personal opinion..that IRC would work if it followed a simple set of guidelines

·     NO Excessive arguing..
·    Spamming IRC with  nonsense posts
·    . Posting RT information about other people besides yourself IRC
·    Racism, bigotry (stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief,sexism or opinion that differs from one's own), posts referring to sexual acts with children or animals. Harassing other IRC members whether in PM or in public or by using an 'anonymous' type name. Harass: 1. to disturb persistently; torment, as with troubles or cares; bother continually; pester; persecute. 2. to trouble by repeated attacks, incursions, etc.,
·    Blatantly ignoring posted room rules
·    Anonymous posts- use your name.
·    Excessive use of profanity- 
Harrasing posts, posts that reveal RT information about people other than yourself.
.Continued removal from the #Banana. In other words, if you continue to break the rules posted above, there will be consequences.
·    Hacking or posting codes to interfere with the chat programming of IRC
·     threats to other Irc members on IRC will be reported to authorities and may result in banning from the IRC as a whole.

anyways jus a idea..to make IRC enjoyable for everyone..thinks ill hush now and hide:)

This post was edited on 11-02-2005 at 09:40 PM by kittymew.
11-02-2005 09:39 PM
brian

– / Male / –
RE: RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel?
quote:
Originally posted by Johny
quote:
Originally posted by Facta

oh, and i could have more posts, but if you read my them, youll notice i never spam, i could have a hundred now if i wanted to.... chrono made 69 in 2 days, i read somewhere
Wait a min ...
Are you saying i spam? Boy you are really new at the forums...After 6 months here, you'll learn spammers are the best!!At least that's what this forum teaches us right?With those 'O rly' images right ?..be helpful, shut up and live along with the situation..

And what chrono's a spammer?So what?At least he cheers the forum up..

Here's a hint; that's a spam post.

Oh, and there is a space after ?'s.
11-02-2005 09:47 PM
Omar
Spammin' Member!

I have Chrono in my hands! MWAHAHA!!

47 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by beamy-kitty
and My personal opinion..that IRC would work if it followed a simple set of guidelines
staying for more than 5 minutes in the server and actually participating in the chat might help you get a better understanding on irc... :p
Comunidad Hispana Oficial del Messenger Plus!  
TReKiE, you might as well face it... you are a dutchie (clogs, tulips and all that) :banana:
11-02-2005 09:48 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
kittymew

– / Female / –
Omar..True..but I wont get into details..But i have done as you said..

The idea I listed is just a generic idea that actually works for Most"chats"..IRC isnt any different or special..Guidelines..work for a reason.
To protect the user and the IRC.
Like i said"its a personal opinion..backed and used by "most"collective chatting community medians..:)
11-02-2005 10:00 PM
Omar
Spammin' Member!

I have Chrono in my hands! MWAHAHA!!

47 / Male / Flag
IRC has nothing to do with "most chats"... (and btw...what chats you participate in anyway)

again, spend more then 5 mins.... and youll get it... :P

This post was edited on 11-02-2005 at 10:03 PM by Omar.
Comunidad Hispana Oficial del Messenger Plus!  
TReKiE, you might as well face it... you are a dutchie (clogs, tulips and all that) :banana:
11-02-2005 10:02 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
kittymew

– / Female / –
"chat room participants (chatters)" a group of people getting together who have at least one idea or interest in common..a myriad of Personalitys..beleifs,genders.class and nationalities....

and again i have been In IRC for more than five minutes,numerous times.and have participated in discussion....I have seen what happens there.

Guidlines are there to protect the individual and the site..how are any of those guidleines hurting anyone..?:)

This post was edited on 11-02-2005 at 10:09 PM by kittymew.
11-02-2005 10:07 PM
segosa
Community's Choice

RE: RE: Official Msgplus Chat Channel?
quote:
Originally posted by beamy-kitty
Most “chatting medians”online have a simple set of rules..and My personal opinion..that IRC would work if it followed a simple set of guidelines

·     NO Excessive arguing..
·    Spamming IRC with  nonsense posts
·    . Posting RT information about other people besides yourself IRC
·    Racism, bigotry (stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief,sexism or opinion that differs from one's own), posts referring to sexual acts with children or animals. Harassing other IRC members whether in PM or in public or by using an 'anonymous' type name. Harass: 1. to disturb persistently; torment, as with troubles or cares; bother continually; pester; persecute. 2. to trouble by repeated attacks, incursions, etc.,
·    Blatantly ignoring posted room rules
·    Anonymous posts- use your name.
·    Excessive use of profanity- 
Harrasing posts, posts that reveal RT information about people other than yourself.
.Continued removal from the #Banana. In other words, if you continue to break the rules posted above, there will be consequences.
·    Hacking or posting codes to interfere with the chat programming of IRC
·     threats to other Irc members on IRC will be reported to authorities and may result in banning from the IRC as a whole.

Wow, you truly have no clue how it all works there do you?

For starters, there's no such thing as a 'post'; it isn't a forum.

Every single one of your rules is what makes #banana so great imo: free speech. If they were to be strictly enforced many people would leave.

Why don't you kids who like channels to have rules go make your own on the server and leave us to run #banana how it's been for the last 3 years? It works fine, everyone who's a regular there is happy, and others who aren't can simply leave. #banana is no longer official, everything is up to Underlord now.

As Omar said, try and be there for longer than 5 minutes before even thinking about replying to this thread.

[Image: freebanana6pw.png]

This post was edited on 11-02-2005 at 10:30 PM by segosa.
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
11-02-2005 10:11 PM
Pages: (9): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 7 8 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: