What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » New CPU help

Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 » Last »
New CPU help
Author: Message:
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: New CPU help
quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
umm i'm not sure about Intel, but with AMD you need to change the "jumpers" on your motherboard to determine the FSB that it runs at.

Read the manual of your CPU and see if you need to set these jumpers on your motherboard. I know for AMD that it is required, so you might need to do it for Intel as well. Whenever i build a computer i usually boot it up like you have and then realise i haven't increased the jumper settings. ;) So nothing is wrong with your CPU is this is the case, read your motherboard info on jumpers for info on how to do it.
the CPU didnt come with a manual, it was OEM, and im not 100% sure what make/model my mobo is. but i think its an intel one. but ill have a look. but im convinced its the locked multipliers
12-22-2005 11:18 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: New CPU help
quote:
Originally posted by colddove
Underlord is correct too. The multipliers being locked could be stopping you too. I would contact Dell Tech support and ask them if they have any updates that would allow it. The reformat is a quick fix check to see if it is the HAL. It could be either of the two. Sorry, I wasn't paying too much attention to the muliplier lock. Dell used to be popular for that. I didn't know they still were, but why not, from their standpoint.

It's not the HAL.

quote:
Originally posted by damm-o
I have the same thing, one processor 2 appear, its because of HT.

That isnt even the problem. Go away.

quote:
Originally posted by YottabyteWIzard
Or you could only make a REPAIR of the WIndows Installation, the registry will still be OK, some registry entries would be overwritten, but the I think that might work, and the whole Windows directory wouldn't be replaced, just some files.

That will unlock the BIOS? 8-)
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
12-22-2005 11:24 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Chestah hit the nail...

And he most likely also meant read the manual of your mobo too... He is right that in many cases when you change CPU, you also need to change some jumpers on the mobo (if possible at all, not all mobo's can be configured for whatever CPU and stuff). Doing this only in BIOS is rare.

Windows has got nothing to do with all this; Windows does not control how such hardware as your mobo is configured; it simply runs on top whatever it has (this also means there is no need at all to reinstall, repair, whatever, after such a hardware update)

I always emphasize on having a specific manual of your mobo, especially when upgrading. It is very mandatory (especially when upgrading CPU's)!

Though many mobo's also have tables and definitions printed on their board, it is often extremely small and very crypted and short. Manuals most likely also contain more additional info and stuff.

Never buy a mobo without the manual or a mobo of which you aren't sure you can find a manual for it on the net... ;)

This post was edited on 12-22-2005 at 11:47 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-22-2005 11:45 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
well all i got is the computer manual which came with my dell. dell dont include the manuals for the parts they use AFAIK. but i saw a mobo layout in it so ill locate the jumpers. where would i found out what position/order i need to put the jumpers in
[Edit] looking in my computer manual, all i can see is the "Password jumper". would that be it?

This post was edited on 12-22-2005 at 11:53 PM by Reaper.
12-22-2005 11:52 PM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
[Edit] looking in my computer manual, all i can see is the "Password jumper". would that be it?

No... it would be a set of switches or jumpers...
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
12-22-2005 11:54 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
oh i see. are they usally located near something or do they appear anywhere on the mobo?
[Edit] after careful inspection of my mobo, there is only the one jumper, which consists of 3 pins. my motherboard seems to be a modified version of the intel D845PEMY. i looked at the documentation on their site, but its not relevant to my board
also could it be becuase the mobo only support a max of 533Mhz data rate?

This post was edited on 12-23-2005 at 01:49 AM by Reaper.
12-22-2005 11:56 PM
surfichris
Former Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
also could it be becuase the mobo only support a max of 533Mhz data rate?
Intel P4's with HT typically run at an 800mhz front side bus speed.

Your CPU is currently running at 400mhz FSB (Half of what it should be). I established this way back when you posted the screenshot and it showed me your multiplier and FSB ("3.75 x 400").

If your motherboard only supports a max of 533mhz then you'd be able to bump it up to that, and nothing more. The most you'd get out of your current multiplier settings would be 3.75 x 533 = 2ghz.

If you bump up the multiplier, you could possibly get it higher, but you'd be basically doing trial and error and could actually damage the CPU or motherboard doing so.

Bad news? Dell lock the FSB and multiplier.

You could use software based overclocking, but as I said, you could damage your motherboard and CPU. http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php
12-23-2005 02:23 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
umm i'm not sure about Intel, but with AMD you need to change the "jumpers" on your motherboard to determine the FSB that it runs at.

in older cases yes, but for newer motherboards (such as newer asus) they have "jumperfree" configurations in the bios.
12-23-2005 03:11 AM
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
Yeah true lizard.boy, i assumed though that his computer would be using an older motherboard. Eg my computers relatively new (and its an asus) and it still has jumpers.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
Bad news? Dell lock the FSB and multiplier.

Arhh - looks like you might have to get another motherboard or at least contact Dell and see if theres any other way this can be resolved. :)
Segosa is newb.
12-23-2005 03:30 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
well i called up dell. they cant do nothing about it. so looks like im gonna have to buy a new motherboard which supports 800Mhz FSB :P
thanx for your help tho :D
heres the mobo im getting:
Mobo
im also getting a new case because my dell case wont support the mobo. does it matter what wattage i get?

This post was edited on 12-23-2005 at 02:04 PM by Reaper.
12-23-2005 12:36 PM
Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: