What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » Tool to encrypt or decrypt log files

Pages: (9): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
Tool to encrypt or decrypt log files
Author: Message:
solus

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: Tool to encrypt or decrypt log files
quote:
Originally posted by ostehaps
Nice job solus!

quote:
My suggestion to you is to add a function where your program takes a directory and a password as inputs, then searches for all *.ple files in that directory tree, and decrypts them, naming the output files as *.txt. Possibly with an option of deleting the old .ple files after decryption.

Thats what I'm planning to do next ;)
Deleting the old files afterwards is a good idea though.
01-18-2006 09:21 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Tool to encrypt or decrypt log files
quote:
Originally posted by ostehaps
My suggestion to you is to add a function where your program takes a directory and a password as inputs
Important correction/note: files in the same directory can be encrypted with different passwords. In other words, instead of "a password", the tool must be able to take "several passwords" when doing batch decryptions...

(and verify that the decryption is correct before deleting the original encrypted files, but that speaks for itself of course. Just as asking the user what to do when a text log already exists; "overwrite or skip")
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-18-2006 09:33 PM
ostehaps

RE: RE: Tool to encrypt or decrypt log files
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Important correction/note: files in the same directory can be encrypted with different passwords. In other words, instead of "a password", the tool must be able to take "several passwords" when doing batch decryptions...

Sure it's possible, but it's a good assumption that a person's logs have the same password. But by all means it could be included as an option, it's just not essential.
01-18-2006 09:36 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Read thru these forums (all the threads about the encrypted logs), and you'll see that it is essential.

A lot of people change their passwords regulary and since many also archive logs, many logs are encrypted with different passwords, and this is also the reason why many people say that they can't decrypt logs anymore because they thought they were encrypted with some password, while it actually was encrypted with the other (older) one, etc...

It isn't just one of many smaller and other "options" or "features" which can be added though; it's pretty much mandatory in a batch decrypter ;)

This post was edited on 01-18-2006 at 09:44 PM by CookieRevised.
01-18-2006 09:42 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Note: for those who wonder, I did accept this thread because I have to reason to hide the way the file is internally structured. And for those of you less "geeky", let me make something very clear: eve with this information, you cannot decrypt a log without the proper password.

Also, for those interested, the whole encryption mechanism has been redone in Messenger Plus! Live in a much more secure way. Each log can now have its own password and everythins is internally crypted using a public/private 1024bits key pair (in combination to a 256bits synmetric key) and I'm using the latest algorythms that comes with Windows XP.
[Image: signature2.gif]
01-19-2006 03:59 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
ipab
Veteran Member

Design Evolved

34 / Male / Flag
is there an api to call the decryption of a log? For mplus! live that is.

This post was edited on 01-19-2006 at 04:16 AM by ipab.
56656E692C 20566964692C 2056696369
01-19-2006 04:16 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Note: for those who wonder, I did accept this thread because I have to reason to hide the way the file is internally structured. And for those of you less "geeky", let me make something very clear: eve with this information, you cannot decrypt a log without the proper password.

Also, for those interested, the whole encryption mechanism has been redone in Messenger Plus! Live in a much more secure way. Each log can now have its own password and everythins is internally crypted using a public/private 1024bits key pair (in combination to a 256bits synmetric key) and I'm using the latest algorythms that comes with Windows XP.

I could've guessed that there was some reason similar to this as to why he'd let the thread out :p....
01-19-2006 04:32 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Note: for those who wonder, I did accept this thread because I have to reason no hide the way the file is internally structured. And for those of you less "geeky", let me make something very clear: eve with this information, you cannot decrypt a log without the proper password.
Though, with this information, it is dead easy now to make brute-force attackers/decrypters.
01-19-2006 11:06 AM
brian

– / Male / –
RE: RE: Tool to encrypt or decrypt log files
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Though, with this information, it is dead easy now to make brute-force attackers/decrypters.

Brute-forcers are the least effective of all types of decypting.
01-19-2006 11:57 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Do certainly not underestimate to power of brute-forcers!!

And in this case they are the most effective way btw...

As I said, with the info on this page, brute-forcers can be extremely easy made, not to mention relative fast ones.

PS, look at some of the zip decryption brute forcers: 30 million passwords a second on an average computer. Least effective? I don't think so...

Many log file passwords of people are very easly 'guessed'...

This post was edited on 01-20-2006 at 03:08 AM by CookieRevised.
01-20-2006 03:03 AM
Pages: (9): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 6 7 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: