What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » Tool to encrypt or decrypt log files

Pages: (9): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 8 9 » Last »
Tool to encrypt or decrypt log files
Author: Message:
solus

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Tool to encrypt or decrypt log files
Wow, a lot of people have misinterpretted this thread.

I'm just curious... The password must be stored on the computer to allow the chats to be encrypted. I'm assuming with Messenger Plus Live! the password is hashed and this is some how passed through to the crypto API.
I haven't looked at this in a long time and wonder if you know anything else about this?

Perhaps the registry keys suggested earlier were the hashed versions of the password?

02-09-2007 11:30 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Baggins

B000ALFAZO

29 / Male / Flag
RE: Tool to encrypt or decrypt log files
From reading, I believe the keys are stored in the registry.

If you could get the key would it not be possible to somehow figure out the encription method thinger.

Or am I just an encryption newb?

EDIT: sorry, disregard this, it seems I misunderstood as well

This post was edited on 02-09-2007 at 11:49 PM by Baggins.
02-09-2007 11:47 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Voziv
I don't believe in lying to people about things, which I do believe is being done.
No-one lied here at all.

Making a brute forcer is ofcourse possible, but it would take thousands of years to let it run, which makes this solution very obviously not possible to do.

All which arguments like "nothing is impossible" do is creating hope where there really is none. Post after post we tried to make that clear in this thread:

It is not possible. period.

In your theory, it is possible to travel to Pluto. Of course that is possible, but by the time you're there you would be already dead.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-19-2007 08:41 PM
Juen

Hello, I have a problem with this program, every time that I try to decrypt a file, the program gives me the same error: "An error ocurred opening the file. Posible reason: File doesnt exists"

What happen?

DP: Im hex-editing the logs and I dont see the signature of chunks (E9 FF A3 00)

This post was edited on 02-27-2007 at 05:48 AM by Juen.
02-27-2007 05:45 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
For starters, the tool only works for Messenger Plus! 3 logs.

The logs in Messenger Plus! Live are encrypted differently and have a different format.
02-27-2007 11:22 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
You can decrypt your Messenger Plsu! Live log files with Log Viewer.exe (run it with /? for the command line arguments).
[Image: signature2.gif]
02-27-2007 11:53 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
You can decrypt your Messenger Plsu! Live log files with Log Viewer.exe (run it with /? for the command line arguments).
Juen,

but when you run it from a command prompt, enclose the name of the program in quotes (since it contains a space), Thus:
"log viewer" /?

Also to automate this a bit, the old DecryptAll batch file I once wrote still works. It decrypts all the files in the current directory. See:
"CookieRevised's reply to About uncrypting logs (i've got password!)"

;)

EDIT:
quote:
Originally posted by bigproblem
can't you help me, if i prove to you i am the owner of the logs??
Even if we wanted to help you we can not. It is not possible without having the original password!

This post was edited on 06-11-2007 at 09:33 AM by CookieRevised.
02-28-2007 03:03 AM
bigproblem

ohh please!! so there's no way?

i have some old logs, from the first time i used PLUS around 2004,

but then i didn't use it for 3 years, now that i have it again, my password isn't saved, and there's no way i'll remember my old password!

can't you help me, if i prove to you i am the owner of the logs??

i can send the logs from the very same e-mail they correspond to, and someone can help me with this password problem!

sorry to bother you with this, but i'd really like to unearth some of my conversations from 3 years ago onwards...
06-06-2007 04:38 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Noproblemo

RE: RE: Tool to encrypt or decrypt log files
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
And as for brute forcing 30 million passwords a second: that's absolutely impossible to do with the crypto api, the access is just way too slow. Brute forcing the average 400,000 billion possibilities of an average 8 characters passwords would take months, if not years. Taking Winzip as an example is just using the one software that's using one of the poorest protections ever :p.

Well ... all of this could be true if their wasn't a design error in the encryption of the .ple files. The way the encryption has been implemented makes the .ple files vulnerable to pre-computation attacks (e.g. using Rainbow tables).
As a proof of concept I modified the code from project Rainbow crack (http://www.antsight.com/zsl/rainbowcrack/) to generate keys for .ple files. Using five 100MB rainbowtables (generated in one afternoon) I'm able to recover the password for all .ple files protected with a numeric password (1-8 digits) and this within 2 minutes !
I also noticed that the password scrambling routine (described earlier) creates password collisions. For instance a .ple protected with password 57341224 can be read using password 48250315.
I hope you have corrected these errors in your new version !
06-27-2007 05:00 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Try to generate rainbow tables for case sensitive alphanumerical charset of 10 characters, it would take a bit longer than one afternoon I think...

The only difference between a rainbow crack and a brute force is that with the rainbox crack you calculate all the possible hashes first before doing the actuall comparisson. While with brute force you do the exact same calculations, but you compare each result immediatly.

Saying that with a rainbow crack you can crack the logs virtually in an instant is not true, you first need to have the rainbow tables, which can take years to create (on a single PC).

This post was edited on 06-28-2007 at 01:15 AM by CookieRevised.
06-28-2007 01:14 AM
Pages: (9): « First « 2 3 4 5 [ 6 ] 7 8 9 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: