What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Graphics Card

Graphics Card
Author: Message:
Rodney

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. Graphics Card
I'm getting a new graphics card soon (hopefully this week) and since it didn't turn out right the last time I messed with it, I'd like some advice on what to do and what not to do, and in what order and such. FYI, it's a 128mb ATI Radeon 9250.

Another little question, about the .Net Framework. I seem to have installed both 1.1 and 2.0 and I'm wondering if that's how it's supposed to be.
Any info would be very much appreciated :)
01-10-2006 04:21 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

RE: Graphics Card
What do you mean by "what to do" with it? I'm not quite sure I understand you.
01-10-2006 04:31 PM
bmtaylor

48 / Male / –
http://compreviews.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/DIYAGP.htm

If you can print off (or make notes) of the bits you need before shutting your comp down, you shouldn't have any probs.

Just make sure that when you install the card, that it is ALL the way into the lslot.  Some (most) AGP cards may feel like they are fully connected, but a small smount of extra pushing leads to the definitave 'thud' that signifies that the card is locked down all the way.
bmtaylor75[Image: Gmail4.gif]
01-10-2006 04:36 PM
Adeptus

It isn't required, but might not be a bad idea to uninstall the driver for the old card before you remove it.  Look for one listed in Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs.  If it's not there, don't worry about it.

Other than that, turn the computer off, remove the old card, replace with the new one.  :)

Regarding .NET framework:

1) It is fine to have both versions of framework installed.  While most applications developed for 1.1 should be backwards compatible with 2.0. they will use 1.1 instead where present.  This can only help.

2) If you don't have any software using .NET framework, you don't need either version. 

It doesn't hurt to have one or both, but I am not sure Microsoft made the right decision distributing it through Windows update -- software that requires the framework usually installs it automatically or at least tells you to install it.  Putting it on WU, to get it on most Windows computers whether needed or not, looks like a political move (to increase developer acceptance).

This post was edited on 01-10-2006 at 04:59 PM by Adeptus.
01-10-2006 04:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Rodney

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Graphics Card
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
What do you mean by "what to do" with it? I'm not quite sure I understand you.

Well I meant things like for example deinstalling the old driver, I wasn't sure if I should do this before or after removing the card. Things like that...

quote:
Originally posted by bmtaylor
http://compreviews.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/DIYAGP.htm

If you can print off (or make notes) of the bits you need before shutting your comp down, you shouldn't have any probs.

Just make sure that when you install the card, that it is ALL the way into the lslot.  Some (most) AGP cards may feel like they are fully connected, but a small smount of extra pushing leads to the definitave 'thud' that signifies that the card is locked down all the way.

Thanks, that should be all I need.

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
It isn't required, but might not be a bad idea to uninstall the driver for the old card before you remove it.

I'll do that. :)

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
Regarding .NET framework:

1) It is fine to have both versions of framework installed.  While most applications developed for 1.1 should be backwards compatible with 2.0. they will use 1.1 instead where present.  This can only help.

2) If you don't have any software using .NET framework, you don't need either version.

I'm pretty sure I had some program using it... can't remember which one though :P
I'll just keep them both installed.
01-10-2006 05:09 PM
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
the .net framework ?here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?F...a55&DisplayLang=en

Yet you only need it to run certain programs, so it's quite useless if you install it for nothing
01-10-2006 05:48 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
D:Frag

Forum d:Fragment0r

– / Male / –
.NET Framework is required to install the Catalyst Control Center to configure your card's settings. It is not required to install the drivers alone.

From my own experience and ATI's website.

[Image: style5,d-dp-Frag.png]
Respect to the man in the ice cream van!
01-10-2006 11:20 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Rodney

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Graphics Card
Ah yes that's something else I wanted to ask... Why would I want to install the Control Center? What use does it have? I don't really like cluttering my startup/systray with useless programs.
01-11-2006 02:07 PM
D:Frag

Forum d:Fragment0r

– / Male / –
It is required to configure the advanced settings of your card to take the most advantage of it. It adds an icon to the systray for quick access to some settings. I don't remember details because I replaced my ATI All In Wonder for a 6600GT and an ATI HDTV adapter.

You don't need to install the Multimedia Center, I never liked it except that I needed it to watch TV with the ATI All In Wonder.

From ATI's website about Catalyst:
quote:
ATI’s all-new Catalyst Control Center goes far beyond traditional driver configuration software—it’s a feature-rich and stable 3D acceleration control application that puts you in complete command of your ATI visual processing unit (VPU). Catalyst Control Center offers exceptional graphics performance and visual quality for the ultimate in performance, stability, and innovation. Safe GPU overclocking, custom profiles, and assignable hotkeys are just a few of the many new features. You’ll also enjoy frequent updates, reliable customer service, and an interactive user feedback program, all backed by ATI’s technical confidence, industry-leading capability, and uncompromising commitment to creating your ultimate visual experience.
Other than configuration purposes, it is not needed to function properly.

[Image: style5,d-dp-Frag.png]
Respect to the man in the ice cream van!
01-11-2006 11:07 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: