What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » More RAM..faster game?

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
More RAM..faster game?
Author: Message:
Rubber Stamp

It Was Never Random

34 / Male / –
O.P. RE: More RAM..faster game?
i usually run games at 800x640 res. bt FEAR wont even run on that.
and what exactly is overclocking, does it help in running games and how can i do that?
01-14-2006 04:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: More RAM..faster game?
quote:
Originally posted by D:Frag
I tried Quake 4 on the 6600GT 128Mb and runs fine at 1024 x 768 on max settings in multiplayer. F.E.A.R. still thinks it needs 256Mb to get full textures, but it runs fine at same resolution.

Half Life 2 and Counter Strike: Source work with no lag at highest resolution and settings :cheesy:
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
01-14-2006 04:51 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
D:Frag

Forum d:Fragment0r

– / Male / –
RE: RE: More RAM..faster game?
quote:
Originally posted by Rubber Stamp
i usually run games at 800x640 res. bt FEAR wont even run on that.
and what exactly is overclocking, does it help in running games and how can i do that?

Wikipower: Overclocking is the process of forcing a computer component to run at a higher clock rate than designed or designated by the manufacturer.

While you can overclock your card it won't be enough to play the newest games, it's not only speed they seek, but newer technologies in the newest cards too. If you want a cheap but great card that plays all current games, choose the 6600GT, if you got the $199USD then get the 6800GS. ATI makes great cards too, but my last upgrade was aimed to play specifically FEAR and Call Of Duty2, and after many recommendations and short budget, I choose the 6600GT.

More memory definitively will improve overall performance and 1Gb is greatly recommended for the newer games.

[Image: style5,d-dp-Frag.png]
Respect to the man in the ice cream van!
01-16-2006 09:19 AM
zach

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Adding another 512Mb module would help... but what is really holding your PC is the video card, which is a bit obsolete for the new games, get at least a 6600GT and you would be perfect!

So are you saying that if he (and I) buy that card, we will be able to play the latest games on high graphics fine? Then what is better about the other cards that are at least twice as expensive. I'm thinking of upgrading also.

here is my results from Dacris Benchmarks

This post was edited on 01-16-2006 at 10:50 AM by zach.
01-16-2006 10:45 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report

– / Male / –
Well... the 6600GT it's not perfect, from my own experience I'm able to play FEAR, Quake4, Call Of Duty2, with max settings except for resolution (1024 x 768) and no antialias all without lag. Need For Speed Most Wanted at 1280 x 1024 with full antialias. CPU and memory play a big part too...

Yup, even your benchmark report says your bottleneck is your video card :p   if you can, one more stick of 512MB RAM will improve the overall performance.

01-16-2006 12:12 PM
zach

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
. the 6600GT it's not perfect, from my own experience I'm able to play FEAR, Quake4, Call Of Duty2, with max settings except for resolution (1024 x 768) and no antialias all without lag. Need For Speed Most Wanted at 1280 x 1024 with full antialias. CPU and memory play a big part too... Yup, even your benchmark report says your bottleneck is your video card (Smilie) if you can, one more stick of 512MB RAM will improve the overall performance.
Okay. It says:
  • Your memory is a little too fast for your processor. You may wish to upgrade your processor for better performance.
    Your hard disk is a little too fast for your processor. You may wish to upgrade your processor for better performance.
    Your video card is a little too fast for your processor. You may wish to upgrade your processor for better performance.
So I think I will need to upgrade my processor to get the most out of the other components. I was thinking of getting a new computer when Vista came out, but I think it might be better to just upgrade parts of my current computer to save costs and vista is likely to have compatibility issues. You can see that I need more disk space. What size upgrade do you recommend? I think I will need to get someone to help me format the new drive because I want to move my current programs and games to the new drive.
I need to update all the main components really because if I update my ram, processor, video card and hard drive I will need a new motherboard.

Edit:
ECS N2U400-A Motherboard
http://www.ecs.com.tw/products/pd_spec.asp?product_id=380

AMD Barton 2500+ Athlon CPU
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInform...0_118_3734,00.html

This post was edited on 01-18-2006 at 12:07 AM by zach.
01-17-2006 12:26 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Timothy003
Banned

40 / – / –
If the game you are playing is laggy the whole time, then buying more RAM will only decrease rendering speeds (in 3D games) for storing lots of textures. You would need good graphics cards to keep your framerate high.
01-17-2006 12:42 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by zach
Okay. It says:
  • Your memory is a little too fast for your processor. You may wish to upgrade your processor for better performance.
    Your hard disk is a little too fast for your processor. You may wish to upgrade your processor for better performance.
    Your video card is a little too fast for your processor. You may wish to upgrade your processor for better performance.
So I think I will need to upgrade my processor to get the most out of the other components. I was thinking of getting a new computer when Vista came out, but I think it might be better to just upgrade parts of my current computer to save costs and vista is likely to have compatibility issues. You can see that I need more disk space. What size upgrade do you recommend? I think I will need to get someone to help me format the new drive because I want to move my current programs and games to the new drive.
I need to update all the main components really because if I update my ram, processor, video card and hard drive I will need a new motherboard.

200Gb drives are insanely cheap these days, games today eat around 1Gb average, if you can list your motherboard make and model and your CPU  (I assume it's an Athlon socket A) we'll be able to give you more suggestions.

If you're already thinking in upgrading everything it would be better to wait, since most of the videocards today are coming in PCI-Express form and if you get the AGP version to fit your old motherboard you will be very limited when you need to upgrade it.

I upgraded to a motherboard with an AGP slot to fit my old card and save, I needed to upgrade my video card too and I already knew what card I wanted and it came in AGP version too but now I regret it, since the newest video cards only come in PCI-Express form. My 6600GT will hold on for a while, but when I need to get a better one I will have to upgrade the motherboard too.

This post was edited on 01-17-2006 at 09:34 PM by D:Frag.

01-17-2006 09:22 PM
jordanspringer

jjordann

– / Male / –
I currently have the ATI RADEON 9800 ALL IN WONDER PRO graphics card, 128MB. I like this graphics card alot, it supports multiple monitor support, as well as multiple inputs so you can plug in TV, VCR, XBOX or anything, and use your monitor for the screen, as well you can pause Live Tv, record tv and burn to dvd for example. I am not too familiar with graphics cards, but in todays market, how does the 9800 All in wonder Pro stack up to todays graphics cards?
[Image: name4ld.png]
01-29-2006 08:29 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: