What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » SOLVED: (frustration no more) total frustration

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
SOLVED: (frustration no more) total frustration
Author: Message:
[MR]
Veteran Member

Scruffy Ruffy

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: total frustration
quote:
Originally posted by Animal
what Nvidia card have you got?
geforce mx 4000
[Image: siggy20ss.jpg]
01-17-2006 12:13 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: total frustration
quote:
Originally posted by [MR]
i checked the links formula,  do you think maybe that i should install xp with out the graphics card in and then install the graphics card?  i say this becuase i have dual monitering right now and the MoBo has a ghraphics card in it so i guess i could try that.
There is (part of) your problem....

The flickering can be due to switching screens. Windows tries to determine which monitor is which and if there are moni's connected at all.

Also, it is known that their might be conflicts with build-in graphic cards and external ones. For some mobo's you need to explicitly set jumpers on the mobo or config the bios before inserting/using external graphic cards.

Also, it is wise to update component by component. Never install Windows (XP) on a totally new machine which you aren't sure of if all the components work correctly or are supported correctly. There is no way you otherwise can pinpoint a problem; it can be all sort of things.

Also, during installing NEVER connect to the internet!!!!!!! There are worms out there which infect your computer as soon as you connect (alla Blaster). When installing, not all updates, patches or even proper firewall settings are in place yet. You also will never have all the latest updates/patches for Windows as there are new ones almost every month, so even if you have the "latest" SP, you'll be missing extremely many fixes and patches.

btw, all the above stuff is also NOT SP2 related... When some things get wrong people all too often and unrightfully blame it on SP2...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-17-2006 03:01 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
[MR]
Veteran Member

Scruffy Ruffy

33 / Male / Flag
so what your saying cookie is that i should install windows xp on this computer with only the basic hardware needed. (e.g. take out any unnecessary pci, apg cards and such)?  if so i can do that. 
01-17-2006 03:11 AM
Timothy003
Banned

40 / – / –
RE: total frustration
Try doing that and see what happens. Make sure you install the components correctly.
01-17-2006 05:01 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
[MR]
Veteran Member

Scruffy Ruffy

33 / Male / Flag
ok, i just needed some reassurance...will do it tomorrow i need to go to bed coz school is tomorrow :(
01-17-2006 05:03 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
yep...

Though, no garantee it will work, but you could try. And if the same problems occur you can pinpoint it more.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-17-2006 08:02 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
Hmmm I remember working on a computer that was doing the exact same thing. Turned out one of the capacitors had exploaded. Look at the motherboard (specifically the battery like looking pieces), see if any of them have green colour on the top or dont look like the rest lol.
01-17-2006 03:51 PM
FormulaFreak

2D Artist

36 / Male / –
hmmz found something on microsoft.com...i dunno if it's of any use:

quote:
Windows XP won't install or won't start.
- Verify that your hardware is listed in the Windows Catalog (formerly called the Hardware Compatibility List).

- Temporarily remove all hardware that's not required by Setup (modems, sound cards, and network cards). Then try restarting your computer.

- Make sure that you have the latest drivers, firmware and BIOS for the computer and all hardware. If you don’t know whether you have the latest firmware or an updated BIOS, contact your hardware manufacturer or check their Web site.

from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/ge.../troubleshoot.mspx
01-17-2006 04:38 PM
Adeptus

CookieRevised gives good advice.  Remove / disconnect non-essential hardware, such as modems, sound cards, printers and so forth.  If you can get XP installed that way, you might  even get lucky and not have any problems after putting it all back together.  Some hardware combinations don't respond well to all the probing during detection. 

You mentioned upgrading your motherboard and CPU --  what are they?  Do you know the watt rating of your power supply?  That's a common problem with upgrades reusing old cases.  I wouldn't necessarily rule it out, even though Windows 2000 installed ok.

There is a rather nasty procedure for diagnosing and working around driver conflict issues during Windows setup, but hopefully you won't need that.

01-17-2006 05:34 PM
[MR]
Veteran Member

Scruffy Ruffy

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
You mentioned upgrading your motherboard and CPU --  what are they?  Do you know the watt rating of your power supply?  That's a common problem with upgrades reusing old cases.  I wouldn't necessarily rule it out, even though Windows 2000 installed ok.
well the processsor is an amd anthlon and the MoBo im not really sure of but the MoBo and processor came from the computer company that went of out bussiness...either called Lan Plus and/or Northgate.  we had gotten the Mobo and stuff in the original case in 2001.  the power supply isnt an issue b/c on the older MoBo i was using for this case (including the same power supply) windows xo had installed with out any problem.  as i have said though that i have gotten windows xp to install with this Mobo before. 

Matty:  im going to open my case now and look at the battery and whatever else you said to look for.

edit:  here is Nvidia's response to me question i gave them

quote:
Originally posted by Nvidia customer support
Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care.

We're sorry, but we are not able to address installation, usage and troubleshooting questions via this forum. NVIDIA does not sell any hardware products directly to consumers, and therefore cannot provide direct technical support.

Please refer to our partner support list for support (www.nvidia.com/page/partner_support.html). In addition, answers to many of the most frequently asked questions can be found in our knowledge base by clicking on (nvidia.custhelp.com).

Regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care.

that was a waste of time.

This post was edited on 01-17-2006 at 10:19 PM by [MR].
01-17-2006 10:17 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: