What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Looking for an expert on harddrives!

1 votes - 5 average   Looking for an expert on harddrives!
Author: Message:
ZrednaZ

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. Undecided  Looking for an expert on harddrives!
I'm having some trouble getting my old IDE drive to work properly in my new computer which came with a SATA based harddrive. I've narrowed the problem down to Windows using PIO instead of DMA for data transfer (or should I say this is a symptom of the problem, seen as the Windows HDD controller manager is set to use DMA if available). Plz check out this thread for the whole story ;)

Thnx!

This post was edited on 01-29-2006 at 12:41 AM by ZrednaZ.
No, I didn't search before
posting. Don't bother asking.
01-29-2006 12:37 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
RE: Looking for an expert on harddrives!
i know it sounds silly.. but are the jumpers set as slave? some hdd have several positions for slave, if you can, try another ones, but be careful! and remember where they were originally, if this doesnt work, and i think it can affect the speed... but im not really sure.. perhaps im all wrong :S

This post was edited on 01-29-2006 at 12:46 AM by Voldemort.
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
01-29-2006 12:44 AM
ZrednaZ

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Looking for an expert on harddrives!
well I've tried setting both jumpers (there's a DVD drive sharing the cable) to cable select. I've also tried setting the DVD drive to master and the HDD to slave, no change whatsoever... The BIOS still fails to properly detect the harddrive and Windows acts in the same way.

yeah, maybe I sould explain the BIOS situation. There's an option to enable/disable each PATA port (2 in all). By default the DVD-drive port is enabled and the second port disabled. When I plug in my IDE harddrive and leave the 2nd port to "Disabled", it works in Windows in this horrible PIO mode and doesn't show up in the BIOS.
If I enable the 2nd port where the HDD is plugged in, things get even worse.. neither the IDE HDD nor the DVD drive show up in Windows :P

This post was edited on 01-29-2006 at 12:54 AM by ZrednaZ.
01-29-2006 12:52 AM
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
and...have you tried without the dvd? is there another ide port?
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
01-29-2006 12:57 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
If you have a DVD (or cdrom) and HDD on the same channel, set the HDD as master and DVD (or cdrom) as slave. A dvd (or cdrom) works much slower than a HDD and if set as master may interfear with the HDD (don't ask why though, I have no clue, as it shouldn't happen; though I have experienced such behaviour in practice).

As for the different operating modes. A HDD should always be reconized by the BIOS for starters. If it is not, than there is something wrong with the master/slave settings or bios settings to start with and in that case it would be the first thing to correct/set right. If it is reconized, you often can change the operating mode in the BIOS. Set it to what your drive supports!

After that, you often can select in Windows almost the same setting of operation, this, of course, should be the same (but as said, make first sure that it is reconized by the BIOS to start with, otherwise it is of no use to fiddle with Windows settings anyways).

This post was edited on 01-29-2006 at 01:20 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-29-2006 01:16 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ZrednaZ

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Looking for an expert on harddrives!
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
If you have a DVD (or cdrom) and HDD on the same channel, set the HDD as master and DVD (or cdrom) as slave. A dvd (or cdrom) works much slower than a HDD and if set as master may interfear with the HDD (don't ask why though, I have no clue, as it shouldn't happen; though I have experienced such behaviour in practice).

This solved the problem - thanks! Just proves how strange computers can be, the HDD's performance being influenced by a minor thing like this. :P Both drives are now correctly detected in the BIOS and fucntion properly in Windows.
01-29-2006 02:16 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Yeah, it has to do with how IDE drives work, both drives will recieve commands, but only one drive will know what to do with it. If the first one (the master) is a DVD/CDROM, the signal (for the HDD) will never reach the HDD... so to speak; something like that...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-30-2006 12:09 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: