What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » [SOLVED] Ipod trouble [SOLVED]

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
[SOLVED] Ipod trouble [SOLVED]
Author: Message:
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
O.P. Huh?  [SOLVED] Ipod trouble [SOLVED]
My friend recently got her computer reformatted by some store or something... well she lost all her music files... And the only ones she has right now are on her Ipod... but her Ipod is dead... she needs to recharge it... She told me that the only way to recharge it is to plug it into her computer... and if she does that it automatically updates the playlist....

She can't figure out how to get rid of the auto-update playlist so she doesn't lose all the music on her Ipod too...

Anybody know what she means?... I'm not completely sure as I don't own an Ipod... but any help would be great!

This post was edited on 01-31-2006 at 04:20 AM by qgroessl.
01-30-2006 03:30 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Ipod trouble
Itunes automaticly syncs up the ipod. She's scared of plugging it in so that it syncs together and delete all her tracks. I would suggest her to charge it with the eletric plug if she has one. another thing would be to uninstall itunes and then plug the ipod, logicly it couldnt sync seeing as the program isn't there.. but I am not sure, I have no ipod and have never tried it. try it only in last ressource.
01-30-2006 03:55 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
O.P. RE: Ipod trouble
She contacted customor services... But knowing how they usually... they won't be much help online.... And I figured it would be faster to do it this way.... btw, I don't think she has the electric plug.
01-30-2006 03:59 AM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
Make sure iTunes isn't running.
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL > Processes > End iTunesHelper.exe
Connect the iPod to charge it.
Note: The iTunesHelper.exe processes is what is used to open iTunes when the iPod is connected.

By default when she plugs her iPod in its going to say the following:
[Image: 61675_1.jpg]

She simply has to say NO and that will prevent it from deleting everything from her iPod.

Next she can go to Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Check Copy files to iTunes Music Library and Adding Files to Library

Click on File > Add Folder to Library > Click + Beside My Computer > Select the iPod and click Ok.

That will transfer all the music back to the PC and add it to the library.

Then go back to Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Uncheck Copy files to iTunes Music Library and Adding Files to Library

Have to remember I am the iPod resident expert. If I don't know the answer I can get it.

This post was edited on 01-30-2006 at 04:00 AM by matty.
01-30-2006 03:59 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
Thanks! I'll see how that works for her and I'll edit my post :p...

It says access denied when she trys to end the process.... any reason why?

This post was edited on 01-30-2006 at 04:07 AM by qgroessl.
01-30-2006 04:03 AM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by groessl35
Thanks! I'll see how that works for her and I'll edit my post :p...

It says access denied when she trys to end the process.... any reason why?
As I said in my PM its probably cause shes on a limited account.
01-30-2006 04:13 AM
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
Plug it into someone elses computer.

Im not saying this will work but for me, if i plug the cord into the ipod, then the computer, it dosnt detect it and will charge. it only detects it if i plug in the cord, then the ipod. Not sure why.You can charge using the electric plug, which as far as i know comes with all ipods.
01-30-2006 06:13 AM
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
She should firstly uninstall itunes, then transfer all the music files onto the computer (they are listed as some four letter file in a hidden folder) she can then charge up the ipod and have a copy of the music on the computer.  If she wants to continue using itunes she should then re-install itunes and import those new music files.  She then does not have to worry about the auto-update and she can put the music on to the ipod and also listen to it on the computer.

It would also be advisable that she makes a copy of her music onto a CD so this problem doesn't happen again

This post was edited on 01-30-2006 at 09:42 AM by markee.
[Image: markee.png]
01-30-2006 09:34 AM
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by markee
She should firstly uninstall itunes, then transfer all the music files onto the computer (they are listed as some four letter file in a hidden folder) she can then charge up the ipod and have a copy of the music on the computer.  If she wants to continue using itunes she should then re-install itunes and import those new music files.  She then does not have to worry about the auto-update and she can put the music on to the ipod and also listen to it on the computer.

It would also be advisable that she makes a copy of her music onto a CD so this problem doesn't happen again
no need to uninstall iTunes, if she does what Matty or Scone suggested then she will be fine :).
01-30-2006 09:37 AM
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by markee

That was the first thing that I told her to do... lol... But Matty and I have PMed back and forth a couple times and I think we have it solved.... But I'll know tonight after her basketball game.
01-30-2006 01:29 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: