What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard?

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard?
Author: Message:
surfichris
Former Admin

RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard?
http://www.winamp.com
02-03-2006 01:42 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard?
misquoted:P
meant the plugin...
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
02-03-2006 02:06 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
XZAVER

Sorry to bump a very old thread but i have some useful information.

It seems like XP's unread mail indicator is NOT what triggers the mail indicator on this. Nor is Outlook express nor does tbird or msn messenger. the winamp plugin DOES infact work with the 3 indicator leds for caps,num lock,scroll lock but not the others.

the keyboard also seems to have a built in smart card.  (NOT a smartcard reader)

....i would like to know what DOES trigger the mail led.

This post was edited on 06-01-2011 at 04:05 PM by XZAVER.
06-01-2011 04:01 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
As said before, make sure you have the proper drivers installed.
Also, make sure you have all the proper fixes installed of those drivers! On the HP custom support site you will find some articles (eg: here and here) about how a certain driver of a certain version for a certain OS has a bug in it which makes that those lights are not properly lit up when they need to. So, it is not uncommon and the same thing might be happening with your keyboard model and driver.

Then it might also be a matter of configuring the monitoring tools for email which might come with the drivers/software of your PC and keyboard. The mail indicator probably needs to be configured in those (eg: configure the correct POP3 settings in HP's own mail monitoring program).

This post was edited on 06-01-2011 at 05:59 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-01-2011 05:29 PM
XZAVER

CookieRevised

Not to doubt what you're saying but im curious where you see this specific model keyboard listed in any of those articles

...or the epidemiology of how those articles where found for that matter ?

Have you seen these leds work as designed yourself ?

Also and most notably.....
It would also seem each of these articles only have software and drivers compatible with windows 98, nothing there is for 2000 or XP.
The description for these articles are also incredibly vague and ambiguous.

Here is says, "This resolves the issue where the LED light did not turn on over the envelope symbol on the affected Presario models when the customer had new mail."

What does "Had" mean ?

And lets be frank what is this supposed to mean ?

New mail globally ? New mail with outlook ? New mail with the yahoo my presario ?

I mean, are these articles even written in english ?

This post was edited on 06-01-2011 at 06:09 PM by XZAVER.
06-01-2011 06:09 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by XZAVER
It would also seem each of these articles only have software and drivers compatible with windows 98, nothing there is for 2000 or XP.
Well logically thinking about this XP was released how many years after Windows 98? Not all hardware had drivers written for Windows XP.

This is a 5+ year old thread just let it be already.
06-01-2011 06:12 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Not to doubt what you're saying but im curious where you see this specific model keyboard listed in any of those articles
I did not say the KU9978 model was listed in those articles! I simply said the problem of those malfunctioning leds like those mail and sleep indicators is known in certain cases with certain drivers on certain OSs. And I gave those links to those articles as an example to that.

quote:
...or the epidemiology of how those articles where found for that matter ?
Search on the support site with the proper keywords.

quote:
Also and most notably.....
The description for these articles are also incredibly vague and ambiguous.

Here is says, "This resolves the issue where the LED light did not turn on over the envelope symbol on the affected Presario models when the customer had new mail."

What does "Had" mean ?

And lets be frank what is this supposed to mean ?

New mail globally ? New mail with outlook ? New mail with the yahoo my presario ?

I mean, are these articles even written in english ?
They are written in perfect English. And although not extremely detailed, the description of the problem is clear.

There are two ways in how those leds can function. Either the keyboard driver (or rather part of its supporting software) checks the Windows' newmail registry setting (and lites up that led if it has changed/has a value bigger than 0), or you need to configure a dedicated email monitoring program provided by HP (which came with the keyboard driver/config tool) to activly check your email (much like Windows Live Messenger and/or Messenger Plus! checks for new email).

In the first case the functionality depends on your own email software (outlook, thunderbird, Windows Mail, whatever you use...) and its ability to update that Windows registry key setting. If they fail to properly update that registry key, then the keyboard driver/mailcheck tool/whatever wont detect anything and thus wont lit up that led.

In the second case you need to configure a dedicated monitoring program for HP (usually this comes in the form of additional software/config tool which you can install or which is installed automatically when you install the drivers). In that monitoring program you define what mail server to check. Many other brands use this method to show a 'new email'-toast on the user's PC, so it would be no surprise that this is how HP does it too (provided you install the _proper_ drivers and software).

Also note that you can always contact HP too with your questions.

This post was edited on 06-01-2011 at 06:44 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-01-2011 06:35 PM
XZAVER

The only software that was even remotely along the lines of what you're referring to is the button server and button LED notifier(which will not install do to a pkzip error), I cant find anything about server monitoring, I also tried extracting and installing those packages manually which also failed. Both the unread mail registry entry is higher than zero as well as all the installed and coupled clients to the EAK software as well.

I don't expect HP/compaq to spoon feed me, but i also dont expect them to think that i have ESP.

ps: thanks for your replies by the way.

This post was edited on 06-01-2011 at 09:04 PM by XZAVER.
06-01-2011 09:04 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: