What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » iPod nano getting "Unknown device" error

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
iPod nano getting "Unknown device" error
Author: Message:
haydos
Veteran Member

dirty dirty house music

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: iPod nano getting "Unknown device" error
Well with the help of Matty (or more he did all the work), the iPod is now working pretty well. Among many attempts to install information files, edit the registry, update drivers, install drivers, uninstall drivers it came down to a lot of work by Matty through Remote assistance. My iPod is now working most of the time that it is plugged into my front USB ports.

I think (hopefully Matty can confirm this next time he is on) the main problem was the lack of power from the USB drive was not enough (a lot of the time) to power the iPod correctly. Why it worked fine for a while then suddenly stopped beats me but with some wiggling of the cord into the port I can now get it to work most of the time.

Again, a huge thanks to Matty, he put hours of his time into this and his help is very much appreciated.
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
don't be lazy
[Image: gayspam.gif]

02-10-2006 10:23 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
hawtpocket

RE: iPod nano getting "Unknown device" error
Im having the same problem and ive tried EVERYTHING! what do i do??
12-03-2007 06:55 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
:-P, I had this error once before...except I was still able to access the iPod as a disk...It took me about 36 hours but I figured out what had happened and created an iPod Rescue Disk.  At least in my case, the issue was with the iPod and not WINDOWS, a simple iPod Formatting / Reinitialization helped me get mine to work.  I'll try to find that disk with the software and tell you what I used if matty hasnt already resolved the issue for you.  Try searching Google for "iPod Rescue Software".

Please DO NOT PM me regarding this, I will post here when/if I find the info.
12-03-2007 09:21 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
lbclassics

Ok i have had no problems with my computer as of today "Christmas" Now i just installed i tunes and connected the ipod nano and got the usb controller error 10 ect...  so I would say it is the Ipod not the computer.  im replacing it tommorow.
12-25-2007 11:43 PM
mastercheif

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/five_rs/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Chris!!!

I am a First Gen Nano user who had the same problem till I did the following (the first step from the above link)

To reset your iPod nano:
1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
2. Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 10 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

[Image: 5rs_reset_clickwheel.png]

I still had all my music and was able to connect it to the computer as a recognized ipod device in iTunes.
02-04-2008 08:42 AM
douger23

I am also having the same problem, but none of the posted fixes work. To make matters worse, this problem is not confined to my iPod, but affects all USB devices I try to use (e.g. camera, external hard drive).
For a time, I could connect without problems to the iPod without problems until one day it could not be recognized and showed up as a unknown device. I tried everything including reformating my desktop and reseting the iPod, to no avail.
I circumvented the problem for a while by using my laptop and an external hard drive, but now this has failed as well (while using connecting to the iPod). It seems as though the iPod is corrupting the USB connection somehow and I now have 2 useless computers for connecting to external devices!
Any new ideas for potential solutions would be greatly appreciated.
02-08-2008 08:53 PM
Aeria

Well, I ran across a glitch very much like yours. Only mine didn't come up on another computer, it still stood as "Unknown Device". I'm sure you noticed that Apple doesn't know how to organize a webpage as well... ARG! I'm VERY irritated. My iPod broke >.<! Stupid Mac.
04-03-2008 09:56 PM
rockinhardlp09

RE: RE: iPod nano getting "Unknown device" error
quote:
Originally posted by haydos
Well with the help of Matty (or more he did all the work), the iPod is now working pretty well. Among many attempts to install information files, edit the registry, update drivers, install drivers, uninstall drivers it came down to a lot of work by Matty through Remote assistance. My iPod is now working most of the time that it is plugged into my front USB ports.

I think (hopefully Matty can confirm this next time he is on) the main problem was the lack of power from the USB drive was not enough (a lot of the time) to power the iPod correctly. Why it worked fine for a while then suddenly stopped beats me but with some wiggling of the cord into the port I can now get it to work most of the time.

Again, a huge thanks to Matty, he put hours of his time into this and his help is very much appreciated.

Okay I have This EXACT issue right now. I really need this fixed ASAP!
Can anyone help?
05-20-2008 02:41 AM
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
try a different port,
or try a port at the back opposed to the front as said above it's likely a power problem, happens to my webcan every so often using a different port fixes it though

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

05-20-2008 02:47 AM
Aeria

I went and actually had mine completely replaced. The guy said that a part in the USB for the iPod was broken off. That may also be the problem?
05-21-2008 08:55 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: