What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » I just want to vent!

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
I just want to vent!
Author: Message:
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. I just want to vent!
So I fiddle around with the Windows API and force my desktop to show small icons instead of big ones horray I can code. So then I roally fuck up and have to restart my computer. Being the cool guy I am I say "screw restarting I will log off and back on" ya so that doesn't work computer wont respond to it. So ok I try and restart through the start menu ya no luck doesn't close any programs nothing acts like it hangs. So I restart through the Task Manager. All is well (aside from my streaming music was cut off http://di.fm btw) so I get up take a leak come back to my bed only to see...

<windows>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupted. I think ok great what the fuck did I do now. So I come downstairs pop an SP2 cd into my computer extract the I386 folder and the expand.exe file and burn them to a CDRW. Ok great I figure this should solve my problems so I boot the laptop with my Windows98 Boot CD (haha its a bootdisk on a CD). And I type

code:
expand r:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll {enter}
This program cannot be run in DOS.

Ok so back to the drawing board. I erase that CD and expand hal.dll on my desktop and just burn that single 103kb file to the CD (good thing its still the RW). So I reboot with the CD Boot disk change cds, copy the file reboot and voila back in Windows. Now it has to install all the devices ok I can live with that. So I go to change the resolution... oops my finger slipped at 1400*1200  and I had clicked Apply not realizing it. So ok I can either wait for the count down or press N so I press N no luck screen is still blank... but whats this I can still see some picture far be it completly dim but I can still see it barely. So I go back into Display Properties reset the screen resolution click Apply and nothing... I still cant see shit like I should...

So I figure what the hell why not reboot into Safe Mode and reset the Display Settings there. So I reboot tap F8 and pop into Safe Mode BUT... it hangs at loading a driver... it completly locks up like wow I am not having the best luck right now. So I now have to leave for work with a laptop full of important information. So I figure I will reboot the laptop kill hal.dll and reboot then recopy it over and let the system do what it has to do and hope to god it will work...

I will update this when I get home and let you all know how my troubles are going.

Thanks for reading I hope you are enjoying the sorrow I am in right now...

Matty

P.S. Traxor your still my bitch!
03-08-2006 07:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
_Humphreys
Veteran Member

24 / – / Flag
RE: I just want to vent!
I suggest if you keep getting the hal.dll popping the Windows 98 Disc in and go through the Recovery system (if it's included on 98)...this fixed the problem when I had the hal.dll corrupt problem on XP. Although I used the XP disc obviously.

This post was edited on 03-08-2006 at 08:22 PM by _Humphreys.
AC3
03-08-2006 08:19 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: I just want to vent!
quote:
Originally posted by Carltos Cool
I suggest if you keep getting the hal.dll popping the Windows 98 Disc in and go through the Recovery system (if it's included on 98)...this fixed the problem when I had the hal.dll corrupt problem on XP. Although I used the XP disc obviously.
No offence I know how to fix it. I already got back into Windows but not the screen is really dim I am thinking its just the driver so it will be fixed when I remove and recopy hal.dll. On Windows 98 there isn't a recovery you have to remember Windows 98 is based on DOS. Windows XP is not. If my partition was NTFS Windows 98 anything wouldn't work. Luckily its Fat32 still.
03-08-2006 09:16 PM
SikStyles

DeathCult

34 / Male / Flag
Well good luck with whatever you're doing. :)
You're still breathing? Why?
Get off the cross, the wood is needed.
[Image: userbar.jpg]

03-08-2006 10:07 PM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Matty
show small icons instead of big ones

can't you do that in display properties?

quote:
log off and back on

since when has that ever done anything?

quote:
expand

expand from winxp isn't a DOS utility.

quote:
wait for the count down or press N

pressing N doesn't do anything?

quote:
still cant see shit like I should...

start up up up up up up up up enter tab tab tab tab tab enter tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab enter left left left left left left left left left left enter -- always good to have written down somewhere.

quote:
it hangs at loading a driver

did you wait until everything was reinstalled? if not... is it really that smart to restart?

Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
03-08-2006 10:29 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: I just want to vent!
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
can't you do that in display properties?
Acutally no, I used the Windows API to change the style of the ListView on the desktop.

quote:
since when has that ever done anything?
So it will reload my user profile and reset the desktop.
quote:
expand from winxp isn't a DOS utility.
Ya I realized that after I tried.
quote:
pressing N doesn't do anything?
Pressing N while its asking if you want to keep the settings should click the No button.
quote:
start up up up up up up up up enter tab tab tab tab tab enter tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab enter left left left left left left left left left left enter -- always good to have written down somewhere.
wtf?!? are yuo on about
quote:
id you wait until everything was reinstalled? if not... is it really that smart to restart?
Yes I did then when booting into Safe Mode it hangs.

I do know how to fix it I just wanted to vent about the problem not ask for help lol.
03-08-2006 10:36 PM
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
    quote: Originally posted by ShawnZ

wtf?!? are yuo on about

add the word button after everyone of those words and follow the directions. It works.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
03-08-2006 11:34 PM
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
Hmm, good luck getting it fixed :p.

P.S.: Traxor's my bitch and slut, get another one!
I'm on: Twitter, Facebook, and Neowin
03-08-2006 11:41 PM
kotjze

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
quote:

wtf?!? are yuo on about

add the word button after everyone of those words and follow the directions. It works.

Doesn't work for me.
[Image: 2wehvrb.jpg]
<Discrate> lol geeks are fags who sit at home on the computer without a gf and no friends except other geeks they meet on the net
------------------------------
<+Nitro> I've found that the best way to clean your keyboard without taking everything apart is by sucking it
03-09-2006 12:32 AM
Jesus
Scripting Contest Winner

Koffie, my cat ;)

37 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: I just want to vent!
quote:
Originally posted by .Lou
quote:

wtf?!? are yuo on about

Followed the exact steps ShawnZ posted and it takes me........here

quote:
Being the cool guy I am I say "screw restarting I will log off and back on" ya so that doesn't work
Get a *NIX box :P then you don't even need to log off and on again. just a few commands and that's it :D

Goodluck with your problem btw

.jpg File Attachment: desk.jpg (86.35 KB)
This file has been downloaded 154 time(s).

This post was edited on 01-04-2007 at 12:18 PM by Jesus.
01-04-2007 12:13 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: