What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » fibre optic cladding

fibre optic cladding
Author: Message:
saralk
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. fibre optic cladding
In fibre-optics, they have cladding, which is a boundry outside the core that has a lower refractive index than the core itself, so the useful range of the core is reduced and the pulsese don't overlap and scrambling doesn't happen.

Can someone who knows a lot about this, tell me: if the light defracts into the cladding, what stops is totally internally reflecting on the edge of the cladding and then reflecting back into the core and causing scrambling?
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
03-18-2006 12:47 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
TReKiE
Elite Member

41 / Male / Flag
RE: fibre optic cladding
quote:
Originally posted by saralk
In fibre-optics, they have cladding, which is a boundry outside the core that has a lower refractive index than the core itself, so the useful range of the core is reduced and the pulsese don't overlap and scrambling doesn't happen.

Can someone who knows a lot about this, tell me: if the light defracts into the cladding, what stops is totally internally reflecting on the edge of the cladding and then reflecting back into the core and causing scrambling?

I'm definitely no expert in this topic, but since no one else was replying, I thought I would.

I believe that since the light wave has been refracted into the cladding, it's simply "lost" as you already know.  I guess your real question is, why is it lost?  The answer is since it has a lower reflective index (if you Google, you'll get the equations), it cannot reflect the light thats been refracted into it and therefore it can't reflect back.
[Image: favicon.ico] Jonathan Kay

Note: I am not Dutch, but not from lack of trying :P
03-18-2006 10:33 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
I kinda know about this, but I don't understand what your question is. Could rephrase it please?
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
03-18-2006 10:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
saralk
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: fibre optic cladding
well you have the cladding, and the point of the cladding is to get rid of any light which has an angle outside the tolerance cone thing.

[Image: Optical-fibre.png]

As you can see, some of the light goes into the cladding, and the idea is that it can't get back in. BUT, what happens if it totally internally reflects on the edge of the cladding, and goes back into the core. TIR can't happen between the core edge and the cladding edge because it is going from a lower to a higher refractive index, so it can just go back into the cable and not work.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
03-21-2006 08:37 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Wabz
Elite Member

Its Groovy Baby!

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by saralk
As you can see, some of the light goes into the cladding, and the idea is that it can't get back in. BUT, what happens if it totally internally reflects on the edge of the cladding, and goes back into the core. TIR can't happen between the core edge and the cladding edge because it is going from a lower to a higher refractive index, so it can just go back into the cable and not work.

Well from what you've said there I gather that it would cause a data error.  Which brings you to the TCP/IP protocol and whats called the 3 way handshake which is the way TCP error checks :), in essence the dodgy light would cause an error and the computer recieving would send a message saying "Send me that again it wasn't correct" 

Mess.be Forum Moderator
Messenger Plus ex-IRC Network Admin
Gimme a Rep!
03-22-2006 12:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: