What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » WLM Messenger Blocking files

WLM Messenger Blocking files
Author: Message:
Wabz
Elite Member

Its Groovy Baby!

38 / Male / Flag
O.P. WLM Messenger Blocking files
WLM seems to be blocking access to potentially dangerous files.  I can view them as long as I don't click the ok button to the message.  As soon as I do it hides // deletes the file.  I don't get chance to follow windows help guide as I can't find the file to unprotect it.  Any idea how to turn this safety feature off.  I'm perfectly capable of making my own decesions of the validity / potential dangers of a file.
Mess.be Forum Moderator
Messenger Plus ex-IRC Network Admin
Gimme a Rep!
03-18-2006 03:13 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
RE: WLM Messenger Blocking files
Tools -> Options -> File Transfer -> "Enable file transfer for potentially unsafe file"

I -think- that will solve that problem.
I'm on: Twitter, Facebook, and Neowin
03-18-2006 03:19 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Wabz
Elite Member

Its Groovy Baby!

38 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: WLM Messenger Blocking files
quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
Tools -> Options -> File Transfer -> "Enable file transfer for potentially unsafe file"

I -think- that will solve that problem.

Nope I can recieve the file then get a message :|

[edit]

Heres the help article it links too

How blocking some attachments helps protect your computerSending and reading e-mail is one of the most popular activities on the Internet. The widespread use of this technology, however, makes it a primary way for computer viruses to spread. Because viruses and other security threats are often contained in e-mail attachments, Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) helps protect your computer by blocking e-mail attachments that might be harmful.

In most cases, Windows XP SP2 will block files that have the potential to harm your computer if they come to you through e-mail or other communication programs. Windows will block these files if your program is running in a strong security mode. Most files that contain script or code that could run without your permission will be blocked. Some common examples of this file type are those with file names that end in .exe, .bat, and .js.

Blocking these files is very important to do, since directly opening files of this type poses a risk to your computer and personal data.

Is there any way I can open files that have been blocked?

[/edit]

This post was edited on 03-18-2006 at 03:33 PM by Wabz.
Mess.be Forum Moderator
Gimme a Rep!
03-18-2006 03:28 PM
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
i think, before opening the file, right click it and go to properties. Where it shows Read Only etc, there may be a button which says "Unlock". press that

This post was edited on 03-18-2006 at 03:42 PM by Reaper.
03-18-2006 03:42 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Wabz
Elite Member

Its Groovy Baby!

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Wabz
As soon as I do it hides // deletes the file.  I don't get chance to follow windows help guide as I can't find the file to unprotect it.

You need to click ok to get the protect button up.  But the file aint there because its been moved / deleted. And I already followed the usual instructions

This post was edited on 03-18-2006 at 03:46 PM by Wabz.
Mess.be Forum Moderator
Gimme a Rep!
03-18-2006 03:45 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
I had this before and I'm pretty sure it's a SP2 issue. I'm sure that when the message comes up telling you it's been blocked, click on the X to close it and then it shouldn't delete the file and should stay in 'My Received files'

Does the message come up straight after it's 100% done, or when you click it to open it?

This post was edited on 03-18-2006 at 03:55 PM by Chris4.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
03-18-2006 03:53 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Wabz
Elite Member

Its Groovy Baby!

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
I had this before and I'm pretty sure it's a SP2 issue. I'm sure that when the message comes up telling you it's been blocked, click on the X to close it and then it shouldn't delete the file and should stay in 'My Received files'

Does the message come up straight after it's 100% done, or when you click it to open it?

Yup that works, I thought it was something to do with Security center so I disabled it
Mess.be Forum Moderator
Gimme a Rep!
03-18-2006 04:29 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: