What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Plugging in a DSL modem gateway into an existing router

Plugging in a DSL modem gateway into an existing router
Author: Message:
Tandy
Veteran Member

:D

34 / Male / –
O.P. Plugging in a DSL modem gateway into an existing router
hey guys

just a question about routers/gateways

I am looking for more ports on my network and i have an existing router (Netgear RP114) and i was wondering if it is possible to plug in a modem gateway (Netgear DG814) into it and run 3/4 extra ports?

If so, what settings do i have to change, will it stuff my network and will my speed be considerably slower?

Thanx

Tandy
[Image: allju3.jpg]
04-15-2006 07:51 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Adeptus

RE: Plugging in a DSL modem gateway into an existing router
You would want to connect to the DG814 alone, enter the web based configuration, and turn off its built-in DHCP server (the exact verbiage may vary, but there should be an option for that).  You also should make sure that the IP address assigned to the DG814 is different from your other router and any computers.  After that, it should be safe to use it as a plain switch. 

My old Micosoft MN100 router had a specific option to function as a plain switch -- apparently MS anticipated somebody might want to use it for just that some day.  I haven't seen that on other routers, but if you happen find such an option on DG814, then you should be able to select it and not have to worry about DHCP, IP addresses and other things.

Unless the ports on the DG814 are autoswitching MDI/MDI-X, you will need a crossover cable to connect it to your other router.

It won't degrade your network performance.

This post was edited on 04-15-2006 at 03:42 PM by Adeptus.
04-15-2006 08:03 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
RE: Plugging in a DSL modem gateway into an existing router
I'm not sure about the crossover cable, but I have a friend using a dlink wired router as a switch, all we did was the aforementioned turning off the dhcp and assigning a different ip adress. I can't remember but i'm pretty sure we plugged the second router (Switch) in using one of its LAN ports, (not the WAN) and we didn't use a crossover cable.
04-15-2006 04:13 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: