What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Firefox

Pages: (5): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
Firefox
Author: Message:
ins4ne
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. Huh?  Firefox
i use firefox and i always thought its a good browser but now i saw a Site and i dont know what to believe... i always heard "firefox is better than the most browser, its saver and so on" but now...

plz tell me your opinion
[Image: b5c5bb366c94ba43283cc13901380e3e.png]
04-21-2006 10:26 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
RE: Firefox
as the url says, those are just myths. none of the statements posted there are true. Firefox is by far the best browser. :)
04-21-2006 10:29 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
It's all up to what the user wants. People may want certain things in their browser. I use firefox, but opera is very tempting these days :P

Others use IE because it supports other Microsft products and syamtics reports it as the most sercure browser.
04-21-2006 10:32 PM
ins4ne
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Firefox
ok that are good news... i thought i had a shitty browser but now its all clear... =P so i'll have firefox for a very long time =)
04-21-2006 10:32 PM
GiantSpider
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation

Others use IE because it supports other Microsft products and syamtics reports it as the most sercure browser.
New extension for Firefox. IE tab. Opens websites you want in a tab of firefox. But its actually a IE window.
04-21-2006 11:03 PM
ins4ne
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Firefox
yeah i know... i got that =) its pretty cool because firefox got some problems with flash an activeX ...
04-21-2006 11:10 PM
Fuzzles

30 / Male / –
FIREFOX rules!

Get IT
04-23-2006 07:39 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
Opera 9 is good, but it doesnt an wont support  Socks.. nore does it i dont think Have an Adblocker in it. . i think it could hyave better Tabbed support in it. an block pop-up support in it, , thats its downfall IMO. Firefox does everything for me even though i find it slow compared to a linux browser i love which is " Epiphany " which is based on the Gecko rendering engine also, Firefox also supports a lot of other things opera doesnt or lacks in, .
04-23-2006 08:16 AM
brian

– / Male / –
quote:
Myth - "Firefox and Mozilla are the same"

Reality - Firefox started as "Phoenix" in 2002, an experimental redesign of the Mozilla Suite browser component. It officially became known as Mozilla Firefox in 2004. The name "Mozilla" in this case refers to the Mozilla Foundation/Corporation which develops Firefox and developed the Mozilla Suite. Official development of the Mozilla Suite ended in 2005 but continues as a community-developed product known as SeaMonkey.
I see nothing wrong in this, this doesn't mean it isn't secure.  It's only about the name.

quote:
Myth - "Firefox has lower System Requirements than Internet Explorer"

Reality - Internet Explorer 6.x has much lower minimum System Requirements than Firefox 1.x.
Obviously, because IE is running 24/7 in explorer.exe and eats memory usage.

quote:
Myth - "Firefox is the Fastest Web Browser"

Reality - Opera (now 100% Ad free) is the fastest Graphical Web Browser in Windows.
Opera & Firefox do use the same rendering system, but Opera has a few modification that makes it run faster which can be changed in Firefox somewhere in about:config

quote:
Myth - "Firefox is Faster than Internet Explorer 6"

Reality - Internet Explorer 6.x is clearly faster than Firefox 1.x in 6 out of 7 measures of performance and is significantly faster from a cold start.
Firefox's part.
Again, due to the fact that it's always running in explorer.exe, it's faster.

quote:
Myth - "Firefox is Faster than Internet Explorer 7"

Reality - Internet Explorer 7 is clearly faster than Firefox 1.x in 5 out of 7 measures of performance.
Same thing, again.

quote:
Myth - "Firefox is Faster than Mozilla"

Reality - Ironically Mozilla 1.8 is faster than Firefox 1.x in 5 out of 7 measures of performance..
World's stupidest comaparision goes to them.  Let's compare a red Porsche with a yellow one!  They're the same.

quote:
Myth - "Firefox Achieved 150 million downloads (2-2006)"

Reality - "Oops. We recently introduced a bug into the counter and it's being fixed. We're not quite there yet. Sorry for the confusion. We accidentally counted the 20 million people who updated from Firefox 1.5 to Firefox 1.5.0.1 this week."
For god's sake, they admitted they were wrong, and they didn't make a lie of it.  What's the point?

quote:
Myth - "Firefox Achieved 10% Market Share in 2005"

Reality - "According to WebSideStory, a San Diego-based Web analytics provider, Mozilla's Firefox closed 2005 with 8.9% of the browser market, while Microsoft's Internet Explorer wrapped up the year with 87.6%."
Yes, they'll put it to be accurate to the .000000000000000001.  It's an estimation for god's sake.

quote:
Myth - "Firefox is Secure"

Reality - Firefox is anything but Secure with multiple unpatched vulnerabilities allowing exposure of sensitive data to local users. You only need one vulnerability to be insecure. Since Firefox v1.x was released, users have been exposed to over 100 security vulnerabilities and counting.

Secunia - lists 97 security vulnerabilities in Firefox, 63 of which are rated as Highly Critical and 1 Extremely Critical.

Mozilla  - lists 100 "known" security vulnerabilities in Firefox, 21 of which are rated as High and 39 Critical.

CVE - lists 142 security vulnerabilities in Firefox.

"In the excitement that surrounded its launch last year, Firefox was unreasonably portrayed by some as having unbreakable security, but the vulnerabilities that have been detected in recent months are injecting a dose of reality into this myth, analysts say."
I wonder why he wouldn't include IE's vulnerabilities?!?  Plus, Firefox gets updates, I've never saw an IE update in a looooong while.
  • Secunia: 201
  • CVE: 391

quote:
Myth - "Firefox is the Most Secure Web Browser"

Reality - Opera is actually the most Secure Graphical Web Browser in Windows with 0 unpatched vulnerabilities.
Same as Firefox, they fix the vunerabilities too there.  IE never got a bug fixed for a long while.

I won't even bother finishing because it is pointless.

This post was edited on 04-23-2006 at 02:02 PM by brian.
04-23-2006 02:02 PM
-dt-
Scripting Contest Winner

;o

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by nvez
Opera & Firefox do use the same rendering system, but Opera has a few modification that makes it run faster which can be changed in Firefox somewhere in about:config
WTF no , opera uses its own rendering engine.
[Image: dt2.0v2.png]      Happy Birthday, WDZ
04-23-2006 02:18 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (5): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: