What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Message notifications

Message notifications
Author: Message:
StephyD

O.P. Message notifications
When I get a new IM, the sounds dont play...I've been through the entire preferences section and the options section... for plus and regular, and everything is on. I hear other noises, but just not for the IM's. all my other IM programs work fine as well. I recently installed windows messenger live beta and then didnt like it lol, so I did a system restore... and now the sounds are broken... any idea how to fix it?
05-18-2006 08:30 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: Message notifications
wher did my sounds go? :( [solved]
[Image: 25dr3o9]
05-18-2006 11:51 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
StephyD

O.P. RE: Message notifications
So I know what the problem is now... after trying that solution... I have all the registry stuff in there. It just doesnt recognize the sound files. Any Ideas why?  when I go in to assign sounds it says "Windows cannot find the file C:... and lists the file. but when I go in the folder, its there...
05-18-2006 07:11 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
If the sound file is there but windows says it can't find it, it probably means the path to that file isn't correct afterall. So double-check if the path is absolutely the correct one. And if the path/file contains spaces enclose them in quotion marks.

It can also mean, but this is not very likely, that the sound file can't be opened as it is in use by some other program. You can check this by temporarly renaming (or removing and then copying back) the file. If Windows Explorer refuses to do this, the sound file is indeed in use by some other program.

--------

Also note: NEVER do a system restore to simply roll back after an installation of a program. I know the whole internet and whatever advertises System Restore as thé tool for such things, but in fact System Restore will always do more harm than good (as you just experienced)!!! System Restore, thus opposed to popular believe, is NOT a tool to be used for such things. System Restore is ONLY meant in situations where you can't boot Windows anymore in a decent way or something is seriously wrong with your computer. It should ONLY be used as an absolute final resque tool, just before trying to format.

Again, System Restore is NOT a backup tool, NOT a remove-this-program-again tool.

This post was edited on 05-18-2006 at 08:37 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-18-2006 07:58 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
It can also mean, but this is not very likely, that the sound file can't be opened as it is in use by some other program
I think, just so long as no program has write access to the file, as many programs can read from it as possible.

Based on memory of the CreateFile() API.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
05-18-2006 10:53 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Message notifications
[OFF TOPIC]

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
quote:
It can also mean, but this is not very likely, that the sound file can't be opened as it is in use by some other program
I think, just so long as no program has write access to the file, as many programs can read from it as possible.

Totally wrong...

If it is "in use by another program" it means that the file can't be accessed because that program has set the access rights to prevent it, no matter what the program was doing with the file (only reading, only writing, whatever).

The file can either be having no write access, no read access or both. No matter what API has been used or what that other program wants with the file, it doesn't matter at all. The only thing what matters is which locks have been set (or rather which locks haven't yet been removed by a certain buggy program).

Even if a program only reads a file, a file can still be locked for whatever restriction the program has set, including writing, reading, or both. In fact, a file can still be locked when no longer in use and when the initial program has quit. Just as a file can also be only locked in a certain region of its contents.

[/OFF TOPIC]

This post was edited on 05-19-2006 at 12:57 AM by CookieRevised.
05-19-2006 12:39 AM
StephyD

well, The file path is exaclty right... The name is the exact name it came with when I installed MSN, and the files are not being used by any other program... I already tried the copy/rename thing... nothing...
05-19-2006 08:39 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Message notifications
quote:
Originally posted by StephyD
well, The file path is exaclty right... The name is the exact name it came with when I installed MSN, and the files are not being used by any other program... I already tried the copy/rename thing... nothing...
1) How did you select the soundfiles?
Did you entered them manually or did you use the browse button when assigning the sounds in your configuration panel for sounds? (note: do not enter them manually, always use the browse button)

2) Did you pressed the "play" button after assigning a sound to an event? Did the sound play or what exact error did you got? (screenshot please)

------------

How to solve the problem of not having Messenger sound notifications anymore after uninstalling WLM

Attached is a registry file, download it, rename the '.TXT' extension to '.REG', and execute the file by double clicking it (or right click it and choose 'add to registry').

It will add (all*) the correct values to the registry.

After applying the file to the registry you must do the following:

1. In Windows, 'Start' > 'Run' > mmsys.cpl
    (the sound configuration panel should open)

2. Click on the second tab: "Sounds"

3. Select your sound profile in the upper dropdown combobox
    (this is important, sound events are scheme specific, so select the scheme you most often use. If you want the messenger sounds in each scheme you will have to repeat this tutorial for each individual scheme.)

4. Navigate to "MSN Messenger" in the lower listbox
    (for quick finding, you can press "M" until the cursor is on top of "MSN Messenger")

5. For each named event you'll find there:
    1. select it in the list

2. press on the browse button to browse for the wave sound file
      (do not enter the file manually, always use the browse button)

3. after selecting the correct file, press the play button to make sure the wave sound file can be opened and played properly

Contact Online         eg:  C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\online.wav
        New Alert                eg:  C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\newalert.wav
        New Email                eg:  C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\newemail.wav
        New Message           eg:  C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\type.wav
        New Mobile Message  eg:  C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\ring.wav
        Nudge                     eg:  C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\nudge.wav
        Outgoing Phone Ring  eg:  C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\outgoing.wav
        Voice  Call               eg:  C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\phone.wav
        Voice Clip Finished    eg:  C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\vimdone.wav
  6. Press 'apply' or 'ok' after you've set all the sound events back to their corresponding sounds.

[*]'All', because the registry files or fixes shown in other threads or forums do not include all the proper settings. Other registry files you might find in other threads or forums are specific for certain sound schemes, specific for certain languages, or are incomplete.

-------------------

If there are problems with all this be as specific as possible. State the errors you got exactly and literally. State the exact steps you did before and after. Provide the version numbers (this includes the build numbers) of MSN Messenger and the Messengers you have removed before. If possible, take screenshots of the errors.

------------------

.txt File Attachment: readd msnmsgr sounds.txt (2.8 KB)
This file has been downloaded 466 time(s).

This post was edited on 06-04-2006 at 04:42 PM by CookieRevised.
05-19-2006 09:32 AM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
[OFF TOPIC]
quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
quote:

Totally wrong...

<snipped>

[/OFF TOPIC]
Dammit, I got confused over FILE_FLAG_OVERLAPPED :@
[Image: spartaafk.png]
05-20-2006 01:28 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
StephyD

I browse to the files, but it says it cant be found. when I go into my computer and find the file though, its there, and plays the sound that is supposed to play... Here is a link to the screenshot I took: Error Message... and my next move is trying the registry thing...
05-20-2006 09:55 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: