What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Archive » Messenger Plus! Live Public Beta?

Pages: (11): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
2 votes - 4.5 average   Messenger Plus! Live Public Beta?
Author: Message:
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
O.P. Messenger Plus! Live Public Beta?
Hello,

first, notice the question mark at the end of the title :). For those of you who are wondering about Messenger Plus! Live, here are some news. I just came back from a "pre-release vacation", having spent the last 6 months in my office with Visual Studio, I have to say this break really helped me to clear my mind and have a fresh look on the software. Microsoft doesn't seem to be willing to release Windows Live Messenger anytime soon and as more and more people are now using the public beta of the new Messenger, I get more and more feedback about "when Plus! will be compatible with Messenger 8?!?". Simply put, the answer is: soon. One of the latest internal beta versions of Plus! was leaked, some of you are already enjoying it (you shouldn't :p) and from what I've heard, I think the software is now ready for public distribution. It's still missing some bits and pieces but I can't hold the release forever.

So, here's the current situation: whether Microsoft releases Windows Live Messenger or not, you can expect Messenger Plus! Live to be available publicly within the next 30 days. It will keep a "beta" label as long as Messenger is not final but you can still expect a pretty reliable product. The internal beta testers have done a fantastic job squashing bugs, giving their suggestions, and the software is now almost feature complete. We are still working on the new web site so I guess it will be released as "beta" along with the software.

With all the preparation, an important event almost got forgotten: the 5th anniversary of Messenger Plus!. I'd say 5 years is not bad for a software that was originally meant to last no more than 6 months :). Thank you all for still referring the add-on to your friends and colleagues, Messenger Plus! wouldn't exist without this kind of support. You may like to know that since its creation, the software has been downloaded/installed more than 150,000,000 times, with the current rate being 190,000 installs a day! It's nice to see the evolution of the statistics (I've kept them from the beginning), they almost never stopped progressing since "The MSN Messenger Plus! Extension" was first released on the 19th day of May 2001. At that time, almost nobody cared about MSN Messenger, dedicated web sites were just starting to appear (mess.be was probably the first serious one) and the add-on scene was simply inexistent. What started as a side project to pass time is now a worldwide Messenger add-on used by millions of people everyday; I'm very proud of it but I'm still wondering how it came to what it is today, especially when I look back at the code of the first version (brrrr, gives me chills to think anybody would want to install that on their computer).

Soon, the fourth major update of Messenger Plus! will be distributed to all of you under the new name "Messenger Plus! Live" and I hope it will keep on serving some purposes for the year(s?) to come. I don't know when or how this adventure will end but there's one thing I'm sure of: it's been a hell of a ride and it was worth all the problems and sleepless nights that came (and will come) along the way.

Patchou

This post was edited on 05-21-2006 at 06:09 AM by Chrono.
[Image: signature2.gif]
05-21-2006 05:48 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
segosa
Community's Choice

RE: Messenger Plus! Live Public Beta
There's no question mark in the title. :(
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
05-21-2006 05:52 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
I am sure the public will be happy for a public beta ;-)

Patchou, good job :)

Keep up the good work :)
05-21-2006 05:54 AM
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by segosa

Theres a question mark in the actual news in the front page :P
Segosa is newb.
05-21-2006 05:56 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
:) Great News.

And yeah, you might want to edit the forum post and add a question mark. ;-)
05-21-2006 06:06 AM
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Messenger Plus! Live Public Beta?
quote:
Originally posted by segosa
lol, i just added it :)
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
05-21-2006 06:10 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
That's very exciting news there, patch! :D

Good to hear something about Messenger Plus! Live, since the Microsoft developers don't seem to release Windows Live Messenger final very soon. I could wait a bit longer, but I also think some others can't. And since the major part of the bugs are already removed, I guess you made the right choice with a public beta in the next 30 days. :)

And yes, we did forgot the birthday of poor Messenger Plus! :o It's amazing how a small but powerfull add-on for MSN Messenger evoled into the biggest one for MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger! But I think it's all due to the major update from 2 to 3. ;)

Keep the great work up, Patchou! Just like you did it the past 5 years... (y)

This post was edited on 05-21-2006 at 06:12 AM by Matti.
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
05-21-2006 06:12 AM
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
Great work Patchou (Y)

What a great 5 years its been :)
05-21-2006 06:36 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
thats good news ,
05-21-2006 06:37 AM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
Yay!

So many times, I've been sending Messenger Plus commands to my contacts, and then feeling stupid. I've said "I miss Messenger Plus! countless times since WLM.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
05-21-2006 06:47 AM
Pages: (11): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: